Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by thespaceinvader »

Thanks =) Along with the many things that have fallen a little by the way side, i'll get that up today.

Incidentally, if yours is the last post on the thread, and you want to edit it but still have it appear as new, you should be able to delete it and re-post, but only if it's the last post on the thread. That's what I normally do. Saves things going unnoticed.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Actually, if it's still the last post, editing it should also make it appear as new again. (and it won't show a "last edited by" notice)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Cloud and Atz, those standing animations are committed with thanks.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

Shaded WIP of Javelineer standing animation. The .gif conversion is massively breaking the shading on this guy and It's making it very hard for me to judge the blending. I suspect I'm going to have to rig it up to actually show in-game to get any sort of idea how it will actually look to finish and clean it up... :(

There are a few tiny niggles left to work out, shading wise, but the movement is mostly as intended. I've used 6 images with one repeated for 7 frames total, though it will probably end up with 7 different frames/images in the end.

I know it's not quite there yet, but I think it's getting close.
Attachments
Javalineer_Standing_Animation.gif
Javalineer_Standing_Animation.gif (7.68 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

The quiver of javelins jumps from one position to the other without any transition frames. Needs to be smoothed out a bit.

Also, movement of the stomach, chest and belt looks wonky to me, especially on exhalation. I know said you were going for inhuman anatomy, but unfortunately, that's not the impression I'm getting. It might be better to just stick with boring old human anatomy - I think merfolk look human enough that quirks like that come off as mistakes rather than genuine anatomical differences, especially on the sprite scale where the detail you can show is extremely limited.
shiremct
Art Contributor

Post by shiremct »

Updated preview of animation. This time, the .gif file displays the colors exactly as they appear in the .png files. I have no idea why they were so washed-out before.
Idk if the chest/stomach motion works or not; To me it seems plausible, but my judgement is clouded by knowing what I intend to portray coupled with poor knowledge of anatomy... human or otherwise...

There are still a few things I'm not 100% happy with, especially the belt and skin below it, but I could use some more feedback while i continue to clean it up and make it smoother. I'd also prefer to know if the body motion is simply flawed sooner rather than later. :P
Attachments
Javalineer_Standing_Animation2.gif
Javalineer_Standing_Animation2.gif (10.1 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
Zalminen

Post by Zalminen »

I'm no artist but should his hand really move that much?

Currently I get the impression that he's rubbing a sore spot :?
SirDagen

Post by SirDagen »

Hello folks,

I do not like standing animations at all. I turn them of because they only distract me from the game. (Just to inform you. - Idle animation is nice though.)

This brings me to the second thing: The only animation you cannot turn off is the flag that marks your cities (moving in the wind). I don't mind that, BUT the movement really looks unreal. Also I would animate it a little slower. (only wanted to throw that in...)

Greetings,
SD
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

In addition to the hand movement, I feel like the head should move up a pixel a frame or two sooner than it does, because as it is right now I can't shake the impression that he's throwing his shoulders back. But that's just my subjective opinion. Perhaps have his tail move in one or two pixels less as well? IMO it seems a bit over-exagerrated, but again that's my subjective opinion speaking.
SirDagen wrote:I do not like standing animations at all. I turn them of because they only distract me from the game. (Just to inform you. - Idle animation is nice though.)
This isn't the proper place to discuss this, but for the record I thought I would be really annoyed by standing animations, and in fact I rather like them (or at least the saurian's, anyway).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

SirDagen wrote:The only animation you cannot turn off is the flag that marks your cities
Well I turned off my terrain animations 'cos the water was making my engine chuggy as heck [this is 1.9 though] and it turned off the flags too.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

Oh man, I finally managed to update to 1.9.2, and the saurian standing animations look great in-game. It gave me some motivation to have a go at animating the HI. How's this?
Attachments
heavyinfantry-stand_full.gif
heavyinfantry-stand_full.gif (5.14 KiB) Viewed 4344 times
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Atz wrote:Oh man, I finally managed to update to 1.9.2, and the saurian standing animations look great in-game. It gave me some motivation to have a go at animating the HI. How's this?
[non-artist comment] Is it just me, or his torso plates get squashed? [/non-artist comment]
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

It looks OK, but I think the movements could all be a bit more synchronised.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Some of the pixels on the shield and mace are transparent during the motion.
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

sur.nhm wrote:[non-artist comment] Is it just me, or his torso plates get squashed? [/non-artist comment]
It deforms in a way that it wouldn't in real life, yes. It is an exaggeration for artistic reasons.
Major wrote:Some of the pixels on the shield and mace are transparent during the motion.
This is deliberate anti-aliasing. The change in angle is small enough that it looks really jaggy and awkward without it. I think it's fine on the shield, but I'm less happy about the mace... unfortunately it's a wonky shape with bits poking off everywhere, which makes it really annoying to work with. I'll have another look at it once I have worked out the synchronisation issues.

Unless you meant there are transparent pixels in the middle, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
thespaceinvader wrote:It looks OK, but I think the movements could all be a bit more synchronised.
Tried cutting out some intermediary bits, and fiddling with the timing. How does this look?
Attachments
heavyinfantry-stand_full_v2.gif
heavyinfantry-stand_full_v2.gif (3.81 KiB) Viewed 4184 times