Wings of Victory 1.9/1.10

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Wings of Victory 1.9/1.10

Post by fabi »

Wings of Victory, a drake campaign.

Written by
esr and fabi

Version 0.0.4alpha is available on the addon server for Wesnoth 1.9.

4 scenarios.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: Wings of Victory 1.9/1.10

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

fabi wrote:5 (playable ?) scenarios.
On 1.9.1, with 0.0.2 alpha campaign, the campaign doesn't start due to invalid "Mv" terrain. I guess that I'll have to wait 1.9.2 to play it.
Anyway, by looking at the code, I can already give you a suggestion: considering that now we have a good sprite for the Armageddon Drake, may be a good idea adding extra_defines=ENABLE_ARMAGEDDON_DRAKE to the _main.cfg? If yes, I suggest also to add this message in the start event of the first scenario, to make the player aware of this:

Code: Select all

[message]
    speaker=narrator
    image=wesnoth-icon.png
    message= _ "For the course of this campaign, <i>Inferno Drakes</i> can upgrade to <b>Armageddon Drakes</b>."
[/message]
However, there is a problem: in the Armageddon's cfg, there is this:

#ifdef ENABLE_ARMAGEDDON_DRAKE
    [advancefrom]
        unit=Inferno Drake
        experience=220
    [/advancefrom]
#endif
but, when having an Inferno Drake on the field, the XP required to advance to Armageddon Drake is only 150, and this happens also with DEFINE_ANCIENT_LICH and the Lich -> Ancient Lich advancement, of course (tested with my campaigns, I'll add a screenshot if you want).
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
fabi wrote:5 (playable ?) scenarios.
On 1.9.1, with 0.0.2 alpha campaign, the campaign doesn't start due to invalid "Mv" terrain. I guess that I'll have to wait 1.9.2 to play it.
Right, I missed that maps are not compatible between 1.9.1 and 1.9.1+svn.
I will have a look at it, depending on how far the release of 1.9.2 is in the future.
Anyway, by looking at the code, I can already give you a suggestion: considering that now we have a good sprite for the Armageddon Drake, may be a good idea adding extra_defines=ENABLE_ARMAGEDDON_DRAKE to the _main.cfg? ...
Yes, that is an option. We will discuss it.
However, there is a problem: in the Armageddon's cfg, there is this:

#ifdef ENABLE_ARMAGEDDON_DRAKE
    [advancefrom]
        unit=Inferno Drake
        experience=220
    [/advancefrom]
#endif
but, when having an Inferno Drake on the field, the XP required to advance to Armageddon Drake is only 150, and this happens also with DEFINE_ANCIENT_LICH and the Lich -> Ancient Lich advancement, of course (tested with my campaigns, I'll add a screenshot if you want).
That sounds like a bug, please fill a report against it.
gitanomad

Post by gitanomad »

Hi, I've just played the campaign through to the "Scuttlers" scenario, which plays itself automatically and doesn't allow Galun to have a "recall list at the top of the scenario" (i.e., that was the error message at the beginning of turn 1). I like the rational philosophy, and it's story coincides perfectly with the human history of cosmology I've been reading in "Coming of Age in the Milky Way", and has much to do with the decisions humanity has to make now. The maps are interesting, tie in to Wesnoth history, and while it seems that the battles can still use a little fine-tuning, overall they're very good.

However, what I'd really like to know - since no one has posted since the 27th of October in this forum - is the campaign still being worked on?

Thanks much!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

gitanomad wrote:Hi, I've just played the campaign through to the "Scuttlers" scenario, which plays itself automatically and doesn't allow Galun to have a "recall list at the top of the scenario" (i.e., that was the error message at the beginning of turn 1). I like the rational philosophy, and it's story coincides perfectly with the human history of cosmology I've been reading in "Coming of Age in the Milky Way", and has much to do with the decisions humanity has to make now. The maps are interesting, tie in to Wesnoth history, and while it seems that the battles can still use a little fine-tuning, overall they're very good.

However, what I'd really like to know - since no one has posted since the 27th of October in this forum - is the campaign still being worked on?

Thanks much!
Hi Gitanomad,
nice to hear that you like the storyline and the prose.
I will have a look at the "Scuttlers" bug and update the campaign.

The campaign is still developed, there have been no updates to the server because the campaign was no longer compatible to 1.9.1 and only usable with a self compiled svn version.
Now that 1.9.2 is out I will update the campaign more frequently and more feedback is likely to arrive in this thread.

edit: Version 0.0.3alpha is on the server with fixed scenario "Scuttlers".
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I playtested the campaign on Wesnoth 1.9.2, Easy difficult. I played the first scenarios on 0.0.2 alpha, and Scuttlers on 0.0.3 alpha.
First of all, I have some general suggestions for the campaign:
The Drakes use the standard flag. Some time ago, JAP made two flags, one for the Drakes and one for the Northernerns. I'm using them in TSoG, you may find them useful here as well (ok, they may need some fixing, but IMO they're good enough to be used).
fabi wrote:Quote:
Anyway, by looking at the code, I can already give you a suggestion: considering that now we have a good sprite for the Armageddon Drake, may be a good idea adding extra_defines=ENABLE_ARMAGEDDON_DRAKE to the _main.cfg? ...

So I'll start the discussion :)
Considering that Galun is quick and intelligent (I managed to level him to 3 at the end of The Green Isle), it may be really worthy to add ENABLE_ARMAGEDDON_DRAKE, now that it works correctly. I think that this won't unbalance the campaign, because this advancement requires a lot of XP (220, or 176 for intelligent units), so players will be unlikely to have more than 2 or 3 for the last scenario. Any opinion?

And now, scenario-specific suggestions and reports:

- The hunt
That scenario lacks any music, so I suggest the following playlist. As intro music, Doug Kaufman's Wesnoth Score (not mainlined, but short enough and very good for story screens); as scenario tracks, Knolls of Doldesh, Traveling Minstrels, Silvan Sanctuary.
Galun says: "Have you heard of those.... to fall into?." There is one full stop too much at the end.
Maybe add also some other kind of roaming monster (Giant Rats)?

- The Contention
Despite this scenario is skipped, I got this stderr error:
<Invalid WML found> [tunnel] tag not supported

- The Green Isle
Again, this scenario lacks music, so I suggest to use as scenario playlist Suspense, The Dangerous Symphony, Northernerns.
It lacks also any defeat condition and carryover note, and also Time of Day. To fix ToD, since you wrote in comments that it is dusk:

{DUSK}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
{DAWN}
{MORNING}
{AFTERNOON}
Sunrise Island:
I got these stderr errors:

warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sariss' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Naulakh' (3) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Shussek' (4) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Naulakh' (3) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Naulakh' (3) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Shussek' (4) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Shussek' (4) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Naulakh' (3) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
This happens because Nagas haven't any archer. So, it may have sense adding the Naga Hunter from UtBS. If you want, Zerovirus made a replacement baseframe for the Naga Hunter, and I'm using it in TSoG. Also, some Eras have a Naga Assassin, that is a level 2 Hunter - but its graphic is just a frankenstein.

- Scuttlers
This scenario lacks any defeat condition or carryover note. Apart from this, now it plays fine. Also, why the story screen mentions "walking trees", but there isn't any Wose on this island? Maybe I just misunderstood something?

I think that it's all for now. If you want some blocks of code for the things above, if some of my suggestions are unclear, or even plain wrong, just ask :)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:I playtested the campaign on Wesnoth 1.9.2, Easy difficult. I played the first scenarios on 0.0.2 alpha, and Scuttlers on 0.0.3 alpha.
First of all, I have some general suggestions for the campaign:
The Drakes use the standard flag. Some time ago, JAP made two flags, one for the Drakes and one for the Northernerns. I'm using them in TSoG, you may find them useful here as well (ok, they may need some fixing, but IMO they're good enough to be used).
WoV aims for inclusion in mainline, so we won't introduce anything that is not up to the quality standards set there.
fabi wrote:Quote:

So I'll start the discussion :)
Considering that Galun is quick and intelligent (I managed to level him to 3 at the end of The Green Isle), it may be really worthy to add ENABLE_ARMAGEDDON_DRAKE, now that it works correctly. I think that this won't unbalance the campaign, because this advancement requires a lot of XP (220, or 176 for intelligent units), so players will be unlikely to have more than 2 or 3 for the last scenario. Any opinion?

And now, scenario-specific suggestions and reports:

- The hunt
That scenario lacks any music, so I suggest the following playlist. As intro music, Doug Kaufman's Wesnoth Score (not mainlined, but short enough and very good for story screens);
[/quote]
Can you provide me a link to the Score, please?
as scenario tracks, Knolls of Doldesh, Traveling Minstrels, Silvan Sanctuary.
I would like to go with Over the northern mountains, Vengeful Pursuit, Breaking the Chains and Legends of the North.
Galun says: "Have you heard of those.... to fall into?." There is one full stop too much at the end.
Fixed. Thank you.
Maybe add also some other kind of roaming monster (Giant Rats)?

- The Contention
Despite this scenario is skipped, I got this stderr error:
<Invalid WML found> [tunnel] tag not supported
I will have a look into it.
- The Green Isle
Again, this scenario lacks music, so I suggest to use as scenario playlist Suspense, The Dangerous Symphony, Northernerns.
It lacks also any defeat condition and carryover note, and also Time of Day. To fix ToD, since you wrote in comments that it is dusk:

{DUSK}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
{DAWN}
{MORNING}
{AFTERNOON}
Sunrise Island:
I got these stderr errors:

warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:scout but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Sariss' (2) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
warning ai/general: At difficulty level EASY, trying to recruit a:archer but no unit of that type (usage=) is available. Check the recruit and [ai] recruitment_pattern keys for team 'Shussek' (4) against the usage key of the units in question! Removing invalid recruitment_pattern entry and continuing...
This happens because Nagas haven't any archer. So, it may have sense adding the Naga Hunter from UtBS. If you want, Zerovirus made a replacement baseframe for the Naga Hunter, and I'm using it in TSoG. Also, some Eras have a Naga Assassin, that is a level 2 Hunter - but its graphic is just a frankenstein.

- Scuttlers
This scenario lacks any defeat condition or carryover note. Apart from this, now it plays fine. Also, why the story screen mentions "walking trees", but there isn't any Wose on this island? Maybe I just misunderstood something?

I think that it's all for now. If you want some blocks of code for the things above, if some of my suggestions are unclear, or even plain wrong, just ask :)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

fabi wrote:WoV aims for inclusion in mainline, so we won't introduce anything that is not up to the quality standards set there.
OK. Just take a look at these flags (if you didn't already), they're not bad. The final decision is up to you, of course. :)
fabi wrote:Can you provide me a link to the Score, please?
Sure! http://download.tuxfamily.org/wesnothmu ... 0score.ogg
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Available_Music
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Version 0.0.4alpha is out.

Fixed most of the issues reported by ElvishHunter.
Scenario Objectives got enhanced.
Added music playlists to the scenarios.
Green Isle got a better scripting of the cutscenes.

Enjoy!
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I've just downloaded 0.0.4alpha from the server, and I must say, as a creator of a drake campaign myself, it's a very nice work! However,

I feel that the first scenario is very easy given this is an intermediate campaign. I had no bits where I worried I would lose and even accidentally left a drake behind and finished the scenario without him... Also, would it be possible for you to do something like:
"Turns run out and Galun has reached level two."
or
"All enemies are defeated and Galun has reached level two."
- This caused me a little bit of confusion over whether I was supposed to defeat all the enemies and wait for turns to run out or not.

On the second scenario, the bat spam got on my nerves. I didn't know I was going to get bat spammed and hadn't recruited a large amount of gliders to combat them. :augh:
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Reepurr wrote:I've just downloaded 0.0.4alpha from the server, and I must say, as a creator of a drake campaign myself, it's a very nice work!
Thank you very much :D
However,

I feel that the first scenario is very easy given this is an intermediate campaign. I had no bits where I worried I would lose and even accidentally left a drake behind and finished the scenario without him...
Yes, it is not really meant to be very hard.
At which difficult level did you play on?
Are you a skilled Wesnoth player?
Also, would it be possible for you to do something like:
"Turns run out and Galun has reached level two."
or
"All enemies are defeated and Galun has reached level two."
- This caused me a little bit of confusion over whether I was supposed to defeat all the enemies and wait for turns to run out or not.
Good point, having well defined objectives won't hurt.
I will have a look how it is made well.
On the second scenario, the bat spam got on my nerves. I didn't know I was going to get bat spammed and hadn't recruited a large amount of gliders to combat them. :augh:
The shroud is lifted for the intro speech, I can leave that lifted shroud around the keep to give the player a look on what the opponent recruited.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

fabi wrote:Yes, it is not really meant to be very hard.
At which difficult level did you play on?
Are you a skilled Wesnoth player?
Easy (wuss)
Depends what you mean by "skilled". I completed Liberty on Easy if that counts.
The shroud is lifted for the intro speech, I can leave that lifted shroud around the keep to give the player a look on what the opponent recruited.
Sounds good!

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

I am playing Wesnoth 1.9.2 on Windows Vista. _info.cfg says I'm playing 0.0.4alpha of the campaign. Scenario 2, "The Contention" exits immediately with Victory. An error is given: <invalid WML found> [tunnel] not supported. I see 2 maps on the screen, attached to each other. The top map is outdoors, shaped like a big hex, with lava at the center, and 6 groups of drakes at the corners of the big hex. The bottom map is underground, shaped like a hex with tunnels, with a single hex castle near each corner.
To Lands Unknown, an Arabesque adventure of stunning background art, mobile summoning, and strong storytelling.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

bvanevery wrote:I am playing Wesnoth 1.9.2 on Windows Vista. _info.cfg says I'm playing 0.0.4alpha of the campaign. Scenario 2, "The Contention" exits immediately with Victory. An error is given: <invalid WML found> [tunnel] not supported. I see 2 maps on the screen, attached to each other. The top map is outdoors, shaped like a big hex, with lava at the center, and 6 groups of drakes at the corners of the big hex. The bottom map is underground, shaped like a hex with tunnels, with a single hex castle near each corner.
Scenario 2 is shortcut, it's very complex and far away from being in a playable state.
I plan to finish the coding when everything else is finished.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

:augh:

I returned to actively playing Wesnoth two days ago, and I'm finding Liberty really easy. Happy, I went back to scenario 3 of WoV, and got utterly creamed.

My strategy was to recall all units (ran out of gold then), and go straight for the leader, leaving only a few units behind to combat the greens. Overwhelmed entirely, and didn't get a replay because I gave up when I went down to 4 units. Any ideas?