Campaign idea pitch

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zerovi

Campaign idea pitch

Post by Zerovi »

Just came up with a new campaign idea involving Mal Keshar from Descent into Darkness. Keshar continues to gather souls to release an acient undead dragon from its prison and Dela Keshar's descendant has to stop him, takes place around 200 or so years after Malin becomes a lich. Good, Bad, Inbetween? Ideas anyone?
NuclearWorm

Re: Campaign idea pitch

Post by NuclearWorm »

Sounds like a good idea, if it's done.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Well, it's a start, anyway. But you need to flesh it out more, and actually make something out of it. What is the descendant's name? Who is the descendant (social status, military ranking [if applicable], background story, and so on)? How does the descendent learn about Mal Keshar's plot? Why does Mal Keshar wait so long to unleash the dragon? Etc. etc.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zerovi

Post by Zerovi »

You make good points artisticdude. I haven't thought about it so much yet. I could use some help writing and coding if someone was willing, I'm new to this whole thing.
Zerovi

Post by Zerovi »

Oh, for a change what if the decesdent was a girl o.o?
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Just my personal opinion, but having a female protagonist does seem more suitable than a male, in this scenario (erm... campaign :P ). It adds a subtle connection between Dela and her descendent that wouldn't be there at all (or at least wouldn't be as obvious) if the protagonist were male.

As far as writing and coding go, the Writer's forum and WML Workshop are always here. And the wiki is generally very helpful when it comes to coding. If you want to code an add-on, take a look at the "Create" link at the top of this page. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zerovi

Post by Zerovi »

I never thought about it that way, I just noticed there arn't as many female protaganist's as there should be... I can only think of the elf from South Guard, and Li'sar
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Oh there's plenty, don't worry (Jessene (TRoW), Cleodil (LoW), Chantal (DM and HttT), Cylanna (DW), Eryssa (NR)). But a female leader character indeed might be interesting. Be sure to follow what artisticdude said and also look at A Simple Campaign by Anonyimissimus on the 1.8.x. and 1.9.x add-on servers. That and wesnoth core will be very helpful as a reference.

EDIT: Just realized I replied very similar things to you earlier in the day :shock:
Zerovi

Post by Zerovi »

Since Dela was a female her descendant wouldn't have the same last name, where should she come from, ect. I'm not familiar with places and history in Wesnoth. Could really use some help writing the storyline out.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Zerovi wrote:Could really use some help writing the storyline out.
I won't do it for you, but here's how I did the storyline for my campaign:
• Write down the basics of what will happen in each scenario, e.g. 'Malin goes to the forest to find a soul and is attacked by saurians'
• Flesh out the basic what-the-characters-are-saying, e.g. 'Malin: "I sense a soul in this forest." Saurians: "A necromancer! Kill him before he killssss usss!"'
• Write it down somewhere and construct a skeleton of a campaign.
• As time goes on, keep refining your basic plotline until it is worthy of being on the add-ons server.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

What is he going to do with an undead dragon?

And another, more important question I'm not sure you've thought about a whole lot: who is the protagonist here? Who am I supposed to like more? What are the motives of everyone involved? It sounds like you've taken a rather likeable and complex protagonist from another campaign and turned him into a villain just because he's a lich.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Zerovi wrote:Since Dela was a female her descendant wouldn't have the same last name, where should she come from, ect. I'm not familiar with places and history in Wesnoth. Could really use some help writing the storyline out.
Do we actually have any evidence that naming conventions are the same in Wesnoth as in the real world, ie the last name being the man's?

Anyway, I'd be happy to help with writing if you want. I've worked on story and dialog for a campaign in the past:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... hilit=fall
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Is the player going to play as Dela's descendant or Mal-Kesher?

I had an idea for the story...
Mal-Keshar dies at the end of DiD, Or at least he can. I guess you could go on and on. But anyway, My idea is that Keshar wasn't liking the endless swarms of foolish hero's. So he made it look like he died. He then lived in peace but he knew that as soon as he started attack again, More would come after him. So he lives in hiding for while, All the time gaining power. And has discovered that he wants a dragon, So he can crush all the fools that stand up to him.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Zerovi

Post by Zerovi »

Pewskeepski wrote:Is the player going to play as Dela's descendant or Mal-Kesher?

I had an idea for the story...
Mal-Keshar dies at the end of DiD, Or at least he can. I guess you could go on and on. But anyway, My idea is that Keshar wasn't liking the endless swarms of foolish hero's. So he made it look like he died. He then lived in peace but he knew that as soon as he started attack again, More would come after him. So he lives in hiding for while, All the time gaining power. And has discovered that he wants a dragon, So he can crush all the fools that stand up to him.
. That is a really good idea actually, and I was thinking that the PC would be Dela's descendant, as Keshar would be the villain
Zerovi

Post by Zerovi »

A-Red wrote:What is he going to do with an undead dragon?

And another, more important question I'm not sure you've thought about a whole lot: who is the protagonist here? Who am I supposed to like more? What are the motives of everyone involved? It sounds like you've taken a rather likeable and complex protagonist from another campaign and turned him into a villain just because he's a lich.
I have actually put a lot of thought into this and the comment you made was rather insulting to me. Keshar craves power and he is rather evil. I thought it'd be interesting to flesh put on the history of Keshar between the time he becomes a lich, and the events of Invasion from the unknown. You don't have to like it, but you do have to respect my artistic freedom.