Dutch Image Localization

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
eliddell

Re: Dutch Image Localization

Post by eliddell »

On the map, you might want to enlarge the boxes behind some of the words ("Grijze Woud", etc), to keep the text from running off into the box borders. For the same reason, "Grijze Woud" and "Estmarkheuvels" should be moved up a pixel or two to keep the descenders away from the box borders. (Also, the lower-case "u" in that font seems to have less-than-good default kerning, but that isn't your fault.) Other than that, it looks pretty good.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Done:
Attachments
great-continent.png
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

The logo looks nearly finished to me, but Jetrel is the one who needs to give the final okay. However, the "Strijd om Wesnoth" is still not centered horizontally. There is a white spot right above the "W", please get rid of that. And the "h" of "Wesnoth" is cut of at the very right edge.

The main map will still need a bit more work…
The boxes of "Aethenwoud", "Dulatusheuvels" and "Estmarkheuvels" are still too small.
Eliddell already told you that the kerning of the "u" is pretty poor but there are quite a couple of other bad pairings here as well. The t-h and o-u of Aethenwoud, the d-u of Alduin, the t-u of Dulatusheuvels, the t-m of Estmarkhheuvels, Bittermoeras altogether, d-y of Weldyn, G-r of Grote River, G-r, i-f and n-b of Griffonberg and so forth.
If I set type with the default settings of Monotype Corsiva the kerning looks way better, please try to set all the words without spaces and kerning on your own ;) Perhaps its due to differences in the programs but if we have to discuss all the letter pairs in detail this will take forever…
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

kitty wrote:The logo looks nearly finished to me, but Jetrel is the one who needs to give the final okay. However, the "Strijd om Wesnoth" is still not centered horizontally. There is a white spot right above the "W", please get rid of that. And the "h" of "Wesnoth" is cut of at the very right edge.

The main map will still need a bit more work…
The boxes of "Aethenwoud", "Dulatusheuvels" and "Estmarkheuvels" are still too small.
Eliddell already told you that the kerning of the "u" is pretty poor but there are quite a couple of other bad pairings here as well. The t-h and o-u of Aethenwoud, the d-u of Alduin, the t-u of Dulatusheuvels, the t-m of Estmarkhheuvels, Bittermoeras altogether, d-y of Weldyn, G-r of Grote River, G-r, i-f and n-b of Griffonberg and so forth.
If I set type with the default settings of Monotype Corsiva the kerning looks way better, please try to set all the words without spaces and kerning on your own ;) Perhaps its due to differences in the programs but if we have to discuss all the letter pairs in detail this will take forever…
I did nothing with the kerning, it's the default kerning...
Attachments
great-continent-final.png
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
eliddell

Post by eliddell »

Obvious question that I don't think anyone has asked yet: LightFighter, is the font you're using on the map in fact Monotype Corsiva, or is it a lookalike (like the URW Chancery L I've been putting on my maps)?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

eliddell wrote:Obvious question that I don't think anyone has asked yet: LightFighter, is the font you're using on the map in fact Monotype Corsiva, or is it a lookalike (like the URW Chancery L I've been putting on my maps)?
It's Monotype Corsiva.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Hmm. That's really, really strange - but Monotype Corsiva's built in kerning is way better. Look at this totally unaltered screenshot:
grij.png
grij.png (13.02 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
G-r, i-j and o-u are not a problem at all…

I don't really have an idea what kind of settings you could have wrong at your computer. But you wether need to get your settings or whatever fixed or do all the kerning by hand, the way it looks now it's not really useable :(
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

???
On 72pt it looks just like your one, so I don't know what's wrong with it at 13pt.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Just in order to see if it really looks like my Monotype Corsiva, could you set a few of the problematic words in big and small (72 and 14 pt) and post it? As I said, I don't really have an idea what the problem could be, perhaps some rendering issue in small sizes?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Finished the TRoW logo:
Attachments
trow-logo.png
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

@lightfighter: the TROW logo looks mostly good, although the shadow on the final h's bottom serif is cut off for some reason I can't figure out. The same problem is present on the main-game logo. The TROW logo might work better as two lines; putting "het onststaan" on one line.

The map looks fine.

The text for the main logo also looks fine. Ideally you'd tweak the kerning dynamically (bending the length of different words) so that the midline of the image falls on a "natural" midline for the text, be it either the middle of a word, or in this case, the best match would be the middle of the space between "om Wesnoth" - but at the same time, keeping the length of that line of text equal on both sides of the midline. (This kind of trick is a balancing act, and sometimes there's just not enough fudge-room to bend the apparent length of the text without badly distorting it. This kind of trick works best in cases like this, were the text is nearly on a natural center, but just not quite).

This is a bit high-level so I'm not necessarily going to get my hopes up, but it might make the logo look better if you pull it off. :)
nindjo wrote:wil you please destroy dat horible thing i so hate it when people translate cools things its just makes them sound crapy when you speek it out in dutch and most people here play the game with english on anyway
There's gotta be a name for this effect, but I've noticed that people seem to perceive that anything written in a second language sounds profound. This is most pronounced with weeaboo white kids learning japanese; to them, japanese comes off as really cool/poetic/nuanced, when to actual native speakers, it seems tired/colloquial, or at least falls under "familiarity breeds contempt". Ironically, japanese tend to use snippets of english in a lot of media for the same reason.

kitty wrote:Okay, I admit I never saw this $*!#?! explanation how to set text. This way the non design person who sets the type has to do the whole kerning manually?! Oh well.
:augh: Yes, it's a disaster, organizationally speaking. This is one of many reasons why several tech luminaries recommend that translators do not touch images, ever. Part of it is that they don't necessarily have graphic-design skills. Part of it is that images sizes/positioning can be burned-in assumptions in the code, and translations will need different-sized images. The corollary is of course to not have any rasterized text burned into the game's images. Ideally, you always have text generated by the game at runtime, and if you need fancy styles like our wesnoth embossing, you figure out a way to do that directly in your game's code.

:doh: Ivanovic however has blocked this, and I have enough on my plate that I'm not going to fight him over it. I'll just do it right on my potential future projects (and who knows; a Wesnoth II might be one of them).
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!