Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Reepurr

Reepurr's stuff: Rainforest shelter

Post by Reepurr »

EDIT:
This thread is currently my Art Workshop outlet for things that may end up mainline if I improve at all.

I'm going to use this thread to give out some amazing so-so art to the community...

I don't know if there's any drakes currently in mainline campaigns, but I started on their flag...
I'm seriously contemplating making it bigger.
I'm seriously contemplating making it bigger.
drakeflag.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 6450 times
EDIT: And an alternate red ring item. I also found an old flag of mine.
ring-red-alt.png
ring-red-alt.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
undeadflagbad.png
undeadflagbad.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
Last edited by Reepurr on February 1st, 2011, 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Reepurr's stuff.

Post by thespaceinvader »

I don't think any of this is currently up to mainline standard yet. Thanks for the offer, however.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Well. One of my Art Workshop projects is the Fire Skeletal Dragon, a.k.a. a recolour of Eternal and Jetrel's fire dragon. I thought it might get a chance at going into mainline eventually, so I'm posting the newest update here.
Attachments
firedragon.png
firedragon.png (17.81 KiB) Viewed 6127 times

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

See previous posts in this matter.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

If you are going to finish it then maybe UMC could use it if not mainline,but you should look at some reference for it,here is a t-rex skull,see how it has holes it´s not all bone.
My sprites,My Minitroops
Philip II of Macedon:"If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
The Spartan ephors:"If."
Subsequently, both Philip and Alexander would avoid Sparta entirely.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Vranca has the right idea:

Reference, reference, reference.

And don't just stop there; study other animals with similar anatomy/bone structure, like Komodo dragons, alligators, dinosaurs, etc. Believe me, reference helps a ton.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

actually it looks already better than the previous attempt, at least in the skull department
but still a bit to work on
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

@ tsi: Are you referring to your previous post telling me to check up on joints? If so, I'm still working on that.
@ Vranca: By [acronym=Neoskel and Vranca's]popular[/acronym] demand, I've made a more theropod-y skull. I prefer the old one personally...
@ artistic: I have been using references, I'm just very bad at pixelart. :roll:

Anyway, an update to the dragon.
Horizontal vertebra branch is not going to be in the final version.
Horizontal vertebra branch is not going to be in the final version.
firedragon.png (16.09 KiB) Viewed 6031 times

Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I'm liking the dino skull better. Truly. I mean, the closest thing we ever had to a dragon was a dinosaur, so wouldn't that be one of the best references you could ask for? Skulls aren't usually solid chunks of bone; they tend to have quite a few holes in them, that are never seen when the animal is alive.
I think that the point wasn't that you were "very bad" at pixel art. It's just that you're not quite "very good" yet.
Spoiler:
That said, it looks like his front left leg is coming out of his neck. It's very pillar-like. Otherwise, not too bad. [/non-artist comment]

Go mbeannai Dia duit!
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Yes. Elbows do not have kneecaps or ball joints, or whatever those are. Shoulders similarly are a lot more complex than that. For us to use your skeletal dragon, it would have to be well-researched and realistic I'm also leaning towards the idea that it would probably also have to maintain some of the scales and membranes, maybe giving it a more mummified or zombified look.

But to be honest, unless you show some serious improvement, this is going to stay in the Art Workshop, where I'm moved it.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I took a break and decided to get in some practice.
Unfortunately, the sombrero (or sunhat or whatever) looks like crud and I have no understanding of how north facings should be shaded.
peasant.png
peasant.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 5878 times

StDrake

Post by StDrake »

pass on the hat problems, you gave that peasant serious anorexia
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

DELETED AND REPOSTED:

The peasant has just been revamped slightly more...
Plus I'd still like some information on how the heck I can make that hat look like something.
peasant-n.png
peasant-n.png (4.51 KiB) Viewed 5659 times

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I'm no artist, but the peasant looks like he is looking straight up and his hat/sombrero is tucked into his shirt. The hat needs to be tilted down some so that you can see the very bottom of his head. Also, his feet look like they are parted a bit too much (the right foot is pointing NE and the left foot is pointing NW).
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

ImageImage
i am no artist, but i think i am sometimes somewhat good at nitpicking:

1. the left leg has dislocated joints like some horrible mma accident (you can search youtube for mma accident or injury if you want to have nightmares), namely dislocated knee and hip. the knee seems like it might be an open fracture, so you should draw some blood there to make it look right.
2. the right leg has dislocated ankle, knee, and maybe hip.
3. butt seems to be too high or missing.
4. why is there shadow on the heel of the right boot?
5. skin color on the hands looks more gray than on the se image.
6. right sleeve ends in a weird curve, shouldn't the curve be the other way round? similar problem with right boot imho.
7. the hat perspective already mentioned, except that i don't think the bottom of the head should be showing.
8. left upper arm seems to be too long, or lower arm seems to be curved, and lower seems to be lit from below too much.
9. this one i am doubtful about. the gray thing on his shoulders looks like maybe the right shoulder is also dislocated. in the original, i think the right side is turned backwards a bit. it might depend on whether you want a truly n-facing peasant or ne one. judging from the general pose, i get the impression that the image is probably for ne, and in that case i think this nitpick is valid.
10. another thing i am doubtful about. maybe the pitchfork should be directed forward more? but maybe that would again be the ne case.

nice round number, eh?

maybe you should try to imagine lines from hip to knee to ankle and see how the above becomes obvious (unless my own perception and crits has been incorrect).

edit:
Reepurr wrote:[...]Plus I'd still like some information on how the heck I can make that hat look like something.[...]
i think, the perspective should be something like that: http://busterstuff.com/catalog/images/Wool%20Hat.jpg, maybe bit more tilted, but not completely top-down view on the hat.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings