2p Campaign Battle System, v1.5 on addon server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

H-Hour

2p Campaign Battle System, v1.5 on addon server

Post by H-Hour »

2p Campaign Battle System - Version 1.5 is now on the addons server.

The 2p Campaign Battle System is a simple addon for Wesnoth version 1.10.x that allows two players to play cooperatively against the AI across a number of scenarios and maintain a persistent army. After each scenario the players can choose their next scenario, allowing them to control the difficulty level, the enemies they will face and the terrain they will fight on.

This addon was designed to be a simple, straightforward and reliable way for coop players to enjoy the process of building up veteran units. Almost all scenarios are "Kill all enemy leaders" and rely on core features of Wesnoth's gameplay: terrain, income and unit leveling. Other aspects, such as unique scenario objectives and storyline, do not feature. In return for this simplicity of concept, we hope to be able to regularly and rapidly add new battlegrounds so that players can continue to play on new terrain or start fresh with a new faction whenever they want.

Add-on Feedback Thread

Features:
  • 38 maps in 7 difficulty levels.
  • No restarting necessary. If you're losing a scenario, simply get one player's leader killed and you will get to choose another scenario and keep any units you leveled in the lost scenario (including your killed leader).
  • The side order is split between the scenarios. Player 1 will be side 1 in half of them and side 2 in the other half. This is to get around what appears to be a leveling bonus for the player that goes first after the AI in coop (or maybe azrael1322 is just an XP hog).
  • All scenarios at difficulty levels 3 and up have two (share!) loyal units hidden on the map for you to find.
  • Often you will take on enemies on their home ground, but most maps are designed with lots of variance rather than large patches of similar terrains.
Notes about the levels:
  • Level 1 is roughly equivalent to a 2v2 on a MP-balanced map. Good players (not myself and azrael1322) may want to consider starting on Level 2 for a challenge.
  • You are not meant to complete all scenarios of one level before moving to the next. Players should choose the level of difficulty they feel is appropriate for them and their army. In time we hope to make more than 50 maps available for this system, so that players can start over with new factions and play on new maps. I suspect an average campaign will take place across 12-15 scenarios, at least until we can add more difficulty levels.
Credits:
H-Hour: WML/maps
azrael1322: Maps
Palatin: Maps

And a big thanks to Gambit who helped me work through a critical out of sync error. Without his help this couldn't exist. The README.txt has a couple other notes if you feel like reading it.

Previous versions
  • Version 1.3 is the last version uploaded to the 1.8.x addon server.
  • Version 1.4 is the last version uploaded to the 1.10.x addon server.
Last edited by H-Hour on April 20th, 2014, 2:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
H-Hour

Re: 2p Campaign Battle System, v1.0 on addon server

Post by H-Hour »

Due to the overwhelming response to this addon (I think I found six replays in the archive), we've put version 1.1 on the addons server today. It adds six new maps, mostly on the lower difficulty levels, bringing the total to 28.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I played this with a friend for the last few days and we really enjoyed it. Being able to use custom factions provides some nice variation. Just one question/problem: was the "undo" function removed on purpose? We sorely missed it...
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Hi Xargon, thanks for playing and thanks for the feedback. The undo function was an unfortunate casualty of a) the way I got around OOS errors and b) my own ignorance of the [allow_undo] tag. A future version should fix this without breaking save games, so I hope you'll keep on playing.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

I can't play, I get
Unknowon scenario: 'cbs_intro.cfg'
If I erase the ".cfg" from the _main.cfg file, it still doesn't work... sounds like a cool idea, please help me.

Edit: NVM; I'm just stupid.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Version 1.1.1 has just been added to the addon server.

It reintroduces undo functionality for player moves. The undo functionality will not appear immediately when reloading a saved game from 1.1. The players must complete one scenario and the undo functionality will appear in the following scenario. This is because the WML without [allow_undo] from v1.1 is already set in the save.

@PeterPorty: Glad you were able to get it figured out.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

It seems that whenever the player not hosting the game steps on the signpost at the end of a level, you get stuck: "End Scenario" is greyed out for that player, and the host doesn't see the unit move onto the signpost (maybe caused by allowing undo?). If the host steps on the signpost, everything works fine.

I feel somewhat bad about only posting when I notice some sort of problem, so I'll say again that this addon is awesome and provides great coop-campaign-gameplay (which is really appreciated, especially as there are hardly any coop campaigns to be found so far). It's a shame that there is this little response to it, but maybe some players are just lazy (like me).

edit: Also, thanks a lot for bringing undo back in the first place :D
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Hi Xargon. I'm not sure why the non-host player isn't allowed to end the scenario, but I think that's been in since before the [allow_undo] was added. Once the non-host player selects the second level, though, the host's End Scenario button should be activated and the host can end the scenario. Does this not happen for you?
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Hi. Sorry for my long response time...
Anyway: As I said, the procedure worked fine (just like you described) as long as the host player had the last turn. I think the order of events was as follows: host player moves onto the signpost, selects the level, then end scenario is activated for the host player. As soon as he finishes (ie clicks on "end scenario"), it becomes actived for the non-host player. However, if the non-host player moved onto the signpost with a unit and selected a level, end scenario did not become actived for either player.

I'll try to explicitly test this issue next weekend or so. It happened fairly regularly though, so I think it is reproducable (we got curious after it had occured a few times).
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

I can't reproduce that behavior myself when testing on the server (not locally) and haven't had the problem when playing with my friend. Please let me know if it does happen for you. This is a 1.8.x version of wesnoth, right? For me, even if the non-host player moves onto the signpost, once they select a level the end scenario will be available for the host player.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Just tested it again, and it is reproducable for us. If the non-host player moves onto the signpost, none of us can end the scenario and we're stuck: the screen is greyed out for the non-host player, but he is not able to end the scenario, and the host player does not see any movement (only if the non-host player leaves the game, the other will see the unit moving onto the signpost). If the host player moves onto the signpost, everything is fine (changing the host player by saving and reloading the game works in the same way). We're using Wesnoth 1.8.5.
I still suspect it must be related to the now-allowed undo function in some way (seems like the host player does not get the information that a unit moved onto the signpost).
Khyron

Post by Khyron »

First of all, awesome add-on, congrats.
I tried to play it alone in local game mode, i mean, i left the second slot empty, i played the first selected map, but when i reach the signpost and select the next scenario it crashes when tries to load the new one giving me the error "creating unit with an empty field".
Next i tried to play it with the second player as hotseat so i could play with my brother on the same pc, but when we played the second battle scenario we dont have any unit to recall from the last scenario and we leveled at least 2 units to lvl2 on the last one.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

Thanks for reporting.
Khyron wrote: I tried to play it alone in local game mode, i mean, i left the second slot empty, i played the first selected map, but when i reach the signpost and select the next scenario it crashes when tries to load the new one giving me the error "creating unit with an empty field".
It won't work without a second player because each subsequent map looks for the second player's leader. Because there is no second player's leader, it tries to create a "unit with an empty field".
Khyron wrote:Next i tried to play it with the second player as hotseat so i could play with my brother on the same pc, but when we played the second battle scenario we dont have any unit to recall from the last scenario and we leveled at least 2 units to lvl2 on the last one.
Hmm, what version of Wesnoth are you using?
Khyron

Post by Khyron »

The last stable, v1.8.5, i have the spanish version but i think that its not important to run the addon properly.
thx for the support :wink:
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I had a similar problem with the recall list when I tried playing both players in a local game. At the beginning of the third scenario, the recall list was back to after the first scenario, as if the second one never happened. No idea why, I never noticed any problems like this in multiplayer.