How do you win with Steelhive?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sam_waz_here

How do you win with Steelhive?

Post by sam_waz_here »

I outflanked my opponent, kept a steelcone on every village they could reach, blocked their army with a wall of amonites, routed their aquatic units but I couldn't find any way to finish them.

Eventually nagas wiped out my flimsier robots while all of my resources went into continously replacing my broken broken who were breaking against orc grunts.
I don't see a strong ranged unit in this faction that isn't aquatic or a way to deal with any enemy resitant to blades. I mean yeah occulums but they only have 3/5 for range and melee and cost 17.

So how do I get this army of lightweight machines working?
Where is the love?
Kanapka

Re: How do you win with Steelhive?

Post by Kanapka »

I think that it'd be better, if you posted a replay, so someone can see exactly what happened.

Also, either you are not playing default era, or you have non-English version of Wesnoth. In that case if you check the English names, the post will not be so confusing.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Steelhive is not from Default Era. I know it's available in Ageless, but I'm not sure which era the faction comes from (I've seen it used only a few times).
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

OP it sounds like you are talking about a SP campaign/scenario...?
So to have the best chances of getting help you should clearly state wesnoth version, addon (campaign/scenario name with starting gold and recall list if appropriate ), possibly a replay.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

I know Zerovirus was doing the art for Steelhive, but I can't remember if it is him or someone else who is the maintainer of that add-on era.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

melinath did the coding and Zerovirus did the art.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

Should I pm him?
Where is the love?
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

You could go check out the Steelhive thread over in the Faction and Era development section. If the answer to your question isn't there, a public inquiry would probably be more useful than a private message, as future players with the same question would be able to find your question and its answer :)
Sir_Koi

Post by Sir_Koi »

Pentarctagon wrote:melinath did the coding and Zerovirus did the art.
sam_waz_here wrote:Should I pm him?
Just because someone did the coding doesn't necessarily mean that they're any good with strategies for that faction (although it does give you a head start). What you're looking for are other Steelhive players so I would stick to the forums/the Era thread.
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Alright, since I'm the guy who came up with Steelhive (and probably the only player of that faction), I'll try and answer your questions.

Short form: Steelhive is underpowered, unless you spam sentients at 30% XP.

Long form:

Steelhive has several problems plaguing it. Right now, the resistances make it somewhat like a faction of 1 race only, that race being skeleton-equivalents in terms of impact and melee resist. Yes, the Oculus is underpowered, and I am aware that none of the ranged units really work. The faction was originally designed to be a spam faction, but I really really didn't balance it so well.

I'm working on getting a more balanced version out. The changes will include an impact-oriented line for the Slasher, impact attacks improved to increase balance against undead (seriously, DAs pwn just about every unit in Steelhive), cold attacks added to the Drone, and shuffling up the resists a bit to make a more flavory faction with more combat variety.

Perhaps you'd like to help me with rebalancing? I could use some in-field data.
Trans

Post by Trans »

Zerovirus wrote:Alright, since I'm the guy who came up with Steelhive (and probably the only player of that faction), I'll try and answer your questions.

Short form: Steelhive is underpowered, unless you spam sentients at 30% XP.

Long form:

Steelhive has several problems plaguing it. Right now, the resistances make it somewhat like a faction of 1 race only, that race being skeleton-equivalents in terms of impact and melee resist. Yes, the Oculus is underpowered, and I am aware that none of the ranged units really work. The faction was originally designed to be a spam faction, but I really really didn't balance it so well.

I'm working on getting a more balanced version out. The changes will include an impact-oriented line for the Slasher, impact attacks improved to increase balance against undead (seriously, DAs pwn just about every unit in Steelhive), cold attacks added to the Drone, and shuffling up the resists a bit to make a more flavory faction with more combat variety.

Perhaps you'd like to help me with rebalancing? I could use some in-field data.
Hello Zerovirus,

how it is now? Steelhive needs impact/cold resistant units. Also, the mimic does not work very well. Maybe, units with precisions/magical (!!!) as attack are necessar too
Trans

Post by Trans »

Please please please upgrade a little bit this faction. Thanks
Some ideas:
- how about "guards" or "protectors"
- the faction need units with something "magical" to attack highly defended units (70% def)
- the Amniote can serve for other things than ZOCing ...
- oculus doesnt work
- the mimic doesnt work

AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR COMPREHENSION
Last edited by Gambit on October 22nd, 2010, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed your ridiculous bolding.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

I enjoy playing with the steelhive faction, of course, I play at 30% experience and spam sentients...
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Trans wrote:*snip*
Further suggestions should go to the faction's official feedback thread. Not this thread as it is for strategies, tips, and help with playing. They should also be in full compliance with the Posting Guidelines.