Children of Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Children of Dragons

Post by Anonymissimus »

Hulavuta wrote:EDIT: Plus, I don't know a thing about how to run WMLLINT even after reading that whole thing...I'm just gonna go the old fashioned way and change stuff as I see it.
It is definitely worth investing time to make wmllint work since it'll save you a lot afterwards, especially when updating campaigns. If you know how to use wml you can work this out, too.
Install python, which goes like any other windows progam. Search for cmd.exe (winXP) on your hard drive. Double-click. Enter the complete path to python.exe in your install directory and press enter. That way you can already execute python (you enter an interactive mode IIRC, or maybe there's some error message) The other things from the example code there are arguments, the path to wmllint to python, and the other things to wmllint.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

wut

Sorry, but you're just wasting your time on me, I don't think I'll ever understand it...
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Taimat wrote:Is it just me, or is Khan almost entirely useless? Really weak for a level 1, so I tried feeding him kills hoping he'd have a great level 2/3 (See Konrad). But the level 2 is naff aswell Not got too far, since I'm terrible and the campaign got hard, but is there a reason he's so weak?
Hulavuta wrote:@Taimat: I was thinking Kahn was pretty weak too. But I guess you shouldn't use your leader much in battle. (But I do think he should be a bit stronger)
Anonymissimus wrote:Zero upkeep leadership units are always great. I tend to use level 1 units, it saves money. But I didn't find him weak for his own, too.
The Drake Noble line is just a renamed Drake Chieftain line from Flight to Freedom, and these were the unit stats at the time. I'll give a look to what Nova recently did and then I'll decide.
Anonymissimus wrote:wmlscope didn't work for me on windows, too. There seems to be a bug with the way ressources from [binary_path] are handled - a lot of things are reported as unresolved, although they aren't. When invoking wmlscope in the exact analoguous way on Linux this problerm doesn't happen. The basic problem here is that hardly any umc dev uses wmlscope and hardly any of the devs uses windows it seems. So please harass esr a bit to fix things.
As soon as I find some free time to do some testing, I'll gladly do this :lol2:
Anonymissimus wrote:viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24460&p=344943&hilit=python+wmllint&sid=a6536ff5295561f6fe1fcff5e520fa27#p344943
Thanks for the link, I'll read it.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 0.9.1 of Children on Dragons just went on the 1.8 add-ons server.
Changelog:
- Added old mainline portraits for Gakk and Stakron
- Updated the music playlist. I hope that you'll like it.
- Fixed scenario 5 having 4 dusks: now it has 2 dawns and 2 dusks
- Raised by 1 the number of melee and ranged attacks for Drake Noble, Drake Lord and Drake Chancellor, raised Noble HP to 42, raised Lord HP to 58, added blade attack to Chancellor due to RIPLIB.
I also sent a PM to BLM to ask if I can use his artwork in the campaign. As soon as he answers, I'll include the portraits and story screens.

Finally, I managed to run Wmlscope on CoD. The trick was that this script must be run on both core and add-on folder.
This is the command line that I used:

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\admin> C:\Python26\python.exe "C:\Programmi\Battle for Wesnoth 1.8\data\tools\wmlscope" "C:\Programmi\Battle for Wesnoth 1.8\data\core" "C:\Programmi\Battle for Wesnoth 1.8\userdata\data\add-ons\Children_of_Dragons"
And this is my (clean) output:

# Wmlscope reporting on Sun Apr 18 11:02:13 2010
# Invocation: C:\Programmi\Battle for Wesnoth 1.8\data\tools\wmlscope C:\Programmi\Battle for Wesnoth 1.8\data\core 

C:\Programmi\Battle for Wesnoth 1.8\userdata\data\add-ons\Children_of_Dragons
# Working directory: C:\Documents and Settings\admin
#Cross-reference time: 105 seconds
The funny thing is that I discovered this while updating The Final Exam: in the forum I found this:
AI wrote:How exactly do you run it? (and what are the exact errors?)

Here's how I run it on TDH (your paths may vary)

~/src/wesnoth/data/tools/wmllint ~/src/wesnoth/data/core/ ~/src/wesnoth-umc-dev/The_Dark_Hordes/
So, problem solved. :)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yay, portraits.

Also, if you want a reason, in my campaign, the reason that the Drakes lived underground is because they were forced there by the Undead after losing a war over land with them.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 0.9.2 uploaded on 1.8 server. Changes for this version:

- Added portraits and story screens made by BLM (I made transparent and flipped some), as per Hulavuta's suggestion (also added BLM's new Drake Fighter portrait as one of the Council members)
- Added BLM to credits
- Added SkyOne's temporary animations for Flare line
- Added SkyOne to credits
Hulavuta wrote:Also, if you want a reason, in my campaign, the reason that the Drakes lived underground is because they were forced there by the Undead after losing a war over land with them.
CoD never had an explicit reason for this. So, probably it's better if you ask MarkP if it's OK, but thanks :wink:
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yay portraits.

EDIT: I'm not so sure that flipping the portraits around was a good idea. Now the hands are kind of just cut off.

Why didn't mainline use these Flare animations? lol
~Sierra
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 0.9.3 is on the server. Changes:
- Fixed a bug found by BLM: running out of turns on scenario 10 didn't made the player losing
- Added wanderer.ogg in playlist of scenario 4. I tried adding knolls.ogg to scenario 12, but having 4 tracks in playlist apparently causes the game to randomly pick only 3 and play them. I don't know why.
- Added back unflipped portrait, as Hulavuta suggested, a bigger portrait for Freon, and the updated Fighter portrait by BLM
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 0.9.4 of CoD is on the server. The only change, this time, is that I backported the new Drake Flare and Flameheart animations and code from trunk.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 0.9.5 is on the 1.8 server. This time I backported the new mainline Armageddon Drake animations. Unless some serious bugs show up, I think that this will be the final release for Wesnoth 1.8. See you later in 1.10! :wink:
maclag

Post by maclag »

Hi all,

Very nice campaign so far! Lot of fun.
But I'm completely stuck in "The Sea Journey".
No matter how I try to handle it (few high levels, more recruits, balance), I'm overhelmed by the nagas, and start loosing leveled units by turn 4!!
I've not been further than Turn 6 (gasp!!)

Am I the only one who didn't find a trick, or is this scenario become seriously imbalanced?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

maclag wrote:But I'm completely stuck in "The Sea Journey".No matter how I try to handle it (few high levels, more recruits, balance), I'm overhelmed by the nagas, and start loosing leveled units by turn 4!!I've not been further than Turn 6 (gasp!!)
In Sea Journey you can lose only if Kahn, Freon or Ober die. Considering this, and that the game counts the ship as dry land, my suggestion is that you allow Nagas to board the ship. This way, their defensive advantage will be negated :) Remember also that the boxes and the barrels are villages, to heal your units.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:Version 0.9.4 of CoD is on the server. The only change, this time, is that I backported the new Drake Flare and Flameheart animations and code from trunk.
Offtopic: Took me 20 minutes to figure out he meant Children of Dragons, and not Call of Duty...
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
maclag

Post by maclag »

Back again.
Finally passed! Wouf...
For those like me who had troubles:
- Yes, never fight on the side of the boat, let them board.
- They're not that fast on land, don't hesitate to gather back in the middle of the boat and optimize the villages by night
- You will loose some spearmen, but they're not canon-meat: you need them to level up to survive (I had 4 ones leveled and extremly luckily!)
- Be aware: Ober can be killed in one turn by a single naga by night if you're unlucky, by 2 if you're average lucky on the flat...
its_crunchtime

Post by its_crunchtime »

What a fun campaign! I'm really enjoying it so far :P
But I just ran into a speed-bump... On the level after "Sea Journey"(Where you have to scout out the fog) My level 3 Kahn was reverted to level 1 again. Is this intentional?
(Though I can't imagine why it would be, just saying..)

If you already know this, than sorry about bringing it up again..
What would you attempt to do if you could not fail?