mysterious campaign in wiki [split from campaign order]

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Haudegen

mysterious campaign in wiki [split from campaign order]

Post by Haudegen »

Hi!

I started to play the mainline campaigns in chronological order. When skimming through the wiki page History of Wesnoth I found the words "Estmark Hills" written in bold typeface which is in this context used for mainline campaign names. I can't find mainline/UMC content with this name. Is this just an inconsistency in the text's formatting or is it a relict of an ancient campaign which has been removed from the game for some reason?

Maybe I should note that the word "Estmark" caught my attention because of its similarity to "Ostmark", which is how the Nazis called Austria after the Anschluss in 1938. I'm curios if there has been content named "Estmark Hills" which was renamed or removed because of the delicate naming.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: mysterious campaign in wiki [split from campaign order]

Post by Gambit »

Split from campaign order (which had been dead for several months). This was only tangentially related, and it really deserves its own thread anyway.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Estmark Hills are the hills southeast of Wesnoth. They're labeled on the main title screen / campaign map, and mentioned in Eastern Invasion's intro.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Yeah. The only bits in that History file that is not from a mainline campaign is the stuff about Meneldur taking back Elesenfar from the orcs, which was from an add-on by turin, I believe.
Haudegen

Post by Haudegen »

zookeeper wrote:Estmark Hills are the hills southeast of Wesnoth. They're labeled on the main title screen / campaign map, and mentioned in Eastern Invasion's intro.
Just like Austria is to the southeast of Germany (you wouldn't call the Alps "hills" though). I was just curious if somebody burned his fingers by writing a story about mighty Wesnoth, its small outpost in the southeast, "races" fighting each other or similar. You can get on thin ice quickly, at least from an European point of view.
elvish_sovereign wrote:Yeah. The only bits in that History file that is not from a mainline campaign is the stuff about Meneldur taking back Elesenfar from the orcs, which was from an add-on by turin, I believe.
There are more than 300 years from the end of "Legend of Wesmere" (50 YW) to "A Tale of Two Brothers" (363 YW) which are not covered by mainline campaigns. Do you remember the name of the add-on?
Last edited by Gambit on October 18th, 2010, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: combined double posts
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Haudegen wrote:
elvish_sovereign wrote:Yeah. The only bits in that History file that is not from a mainline campaign is the stuff about Meneldur taking back Elesenfar from the orcs, which was from an add-on by turin, I believe.
There are more than 300 years from the end of "Legend of Wesmere" (50 YW) to "A Tale of Two Brothers" (363 YW) which are not covered by mainline campaigns. Do you remember the name of the add-on?
Nonsense. Anyways, I was referring to the major events; you could consider those "transitional" events (like
the wiki wrote:Orcish civil war sputters to a halt. Raids on elves and humans resume. Period of uncontested human expansion ends, but the Wesnothian Army is more than equal to any of its opponents in battle.
that) as material related to set up the next event. This:
the wiki wrote:161-164 YW
The newly crowned king sought to make safe once and for all the wildlands that separated the human cities surrounding Weldyn and the coastal regions of Elensefar.
The grand army of Wesnoth, personally led by the High Council of Archmagi, destroyed all enemies residing within Wesnoth.
The city-state of Elensefar is formally united to the kingdom. Settlements from it spread north of the river into the new frontier province of Annuvin, carefully avoiding the margins of Wesmere Forest.
164-176 YW
During this twelve year span, the western fortress of Halstead was erected in the very heart of the western wilderlands.
199 YW
Emboldened by the far-reaching arm of Halstead's protection, settlement in the west explodes
The settlements of Aldril and Carcyn grow to become major cities, the first as an important port due to its position on the Bay of Pearls, and the second as a stop on the road to Elensefar and military outpost along the Great River
Settlers from Carcyn cross the Great River to establish the first settlements north of it and east of Wesmere.
is covered in Liberty; this is basically all set-up material for Liberty during Asheviere's betrayal. Again, it is only the Meneldur part which comes from an add-on by turin.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I think the add-on in question was named "Saving Elensefar" - it was about some elf which lived in Elensefar, and when it was conquered by orcs, he made a sailing tour in the sea to gather allies, then came back to conquer it back. I'm not sure it would fit in current canon, though.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Haudegen wrote:
The add-on is "Saving Elensefar" developped for 1.0.x BfW or earlier. Although the maps look outdated now, the gameplay principle still is refreshingly new because it was unused for all these years despite its goodness.

EDIT : Ha! pauxlo did beat me at answering.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

krotop wrote: The add-on is "Saving Elensefar" developped for 1.0.x BfW or earlier. Although the maps look outdated now, the gameplay principle still is refreshingly new because it was unused for all these years despite its goodness.
... of which I am the current maintainer I'm afraid :augh:

Though all I did was to port it to BfW 1.4 (at a time when turin wasn't interested in maintaining it any more).

Then came the great server crash of summer 2008 which took with it most of the then-current development thread, and I got somewhat lost for more than a year.

All I did since then was download some new versions of BfW and play a little.

I could try wmllint on the campaign hoping it'll run on 1.8 without further modifications, but I can't promise any more because my knowledge of WML was near nil to begin with, and job+family are rather time-demanding nowadays.

To sum up, if anyone has more ambition, this campaign is free for the taking (art is definitely severely outdated though).