Internet Meme Era v 0.0.8

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lindsay40k

Re: Internet Meme Era v 0.0.8

Post by lindsay40k »

I think it'd be fine to make the Keeper/Sentinel have high defences on Hills and Mountains, with Dwarf-like movement on that terrain. That, along with Teleport, should offset the RIPLIB movement concern. Perhaps we could look at the XP requirements to level up a Tank, given its relatively low damage and movement limiting its scope for kills?
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

lindsay40k wrote:I think it'd be fine to make the Keeper/Sentinel have high defences on Hills and Mountains, with Dwarf-like movement on that terrain.
That, along with Teleport, should offset the RIPLIB movement concern.
At first, it would destroy its role and second, it wouldn't "offset", as you said, RIPLIB.
lindsay40k wrote:Perhaps we could look at the XP requirements to level up a Tank, given its relatively low damage and movement limiting its scope for kills?
It's needed to be able to level up to him fast. The tank isn't meant to level up. It is slow, have, as you already said, less strikes and is meant to die instead of other ones.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I think I'll do some of the missing ninja sprites (when I finish the Dragon), and I have some remarks about the names. There's Bushido-Mono line, that levels this way: Kendo-Mono -> Samurai and Yumi-Mono -> Ronin. AFAIK, Samurai were swordmen in service of a lord, and Ronin were swordsmen that did not serve anyone at the moment (a kind of 'unemployed'). If I am right, it'd make more sense for Bushido-Mono to level into Ronin -> Samurai and Yumi-Mono -> Yumi-Sensei (or some better named unit). If I am wrong, I'd ask someone Japanese/with better knowledge of Japanese culture than me to correct me.

This is only about names, I don't mean to change any stats.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I think you are somewhat right, but at some point it's hard to find names :/ I essentially wanted to separate them in sword-path/bow-path, and having a similar naming scheme for both branches. I kinda thought as Ronin as "stray samurais", hence the usage of bow for diversity, which gives a slight outlaw feel, but I may be all wrong about that. I dunno, is it really troublesome? I guess if you have something amazing I can rename them, I also had some comments previously about the ninja names just being various synonyms of "ninja", and didn't really reflect their function or anything (although I arguably do the same with the pirates and cowboys, so heh).

I'm pretty busy at the moment, so I can't complete the sprites myself, so feel free to take a shot at them if you'd like. I'd just call dibs on the Sekkou, though. And I might try to do something for the firework wagon-thing (those mechanical isometric things are much harder than humanoid sprites, for me at least :/)

And I haven't had much time testing the factions for balance either. Fighting against yourself grows old pretty fast, anyway... I am considering sending the Keeper/Sentinel with the Battle Bots. It's not as good thematically speaking, but if it's required for balance...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

charm isn't working: it'll delete the enemy with its animations
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Just a quick heads up: It's not that I gave up work on the era, I continue looking over the art thread, but I can't do much about balance and code untl 1.9.2 comes out: not local multiplayer means I can't test anything for bugs (charm, tunnel), and I can't playtest for balance either. Sorry guys... I'm pretty busy with my life right now anyway, so it's not all that bad :)
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Well, the Cyborg idea was ment as "A crazy dwarf who got a lot of omplants and ingame is represented by a dwarf who has a unliving trait and maybe enhanced resistences" and not as "A crazy dwarf integrates himself in a tank and is represented by on of those". Mayre ypu should get away from the "Brain in the Vat" for the inventor's leveling...

The "Pollinate" and "Capture" special do not work in 1.8 (I have not tested in 1.9 for reasons explained below), instead any unit dying (regardless of affliation or position) will advance to each and then die anyway. This effect starts as soon as one of the corresponding unit has been recruited and lasts on even after it died.

As soon as a unit levels in 1.9, it gets 100% defense and one mo movement cost for every terrain. In addition, the submarine is not avaible.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

1.8 isn't up-to-date, because there isn't the needed 'tunnel' tag.
offtopic:
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yes, I saw 1.9.2 was out, I downloaded it this week, and no longer experience the crashing issue upon entering local multiplayer. Cheers to that! I still am somewhat busy, though, but it looks like it's gonna clear up a bit this weekend/during the upcoming week, so I should be able to use some free time to test and correct what has to be tested and corrected. I've quickly glanced over the last few pages to put myself back up to date, feel free to add anything I might have forgotten/missed:

- Tunnel isn't working (but this might be because it isn't enabled by the engine rather than my code being faulty);
- Charm deletes some unit or something;
- There apparently is a weird leveling up bug, reported by lindsay40k and Drakefriend;
- I really want to sit down and finally draw a sprite for the Sekkou, possibly for the Firework Charriot too. And I have to update the unit trees with all the nice units Kanapka has drawn :)

There also was some discussion about remodeling the robot tree (again), but I'm not too sure where this was headed anymore. AFAIK, I think I was getting quite satisfied with the actual tree. But it's been some time, so I might be forgetting stuff.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

1.8 snd 1.9 are used as names for the branches.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Dixie wrote:[...]There also was some discussion about remodeling the robot tree (again), but I'm not too sure where this was headed anymore. AFAIK, I think I was getting quite satisfied with the actual tree. But it's been some time, so I might be forgetting stuff.
It was the keeper I wanted to see after an advancing of the [real name forgotten] warrior robot. As for a new idea, what's about putting them into both paths: the tanks and the warrior robots? It would make it even more likly to advance to them.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

Even if the "Cyborg" idea is not realised (and fro now it is not, as the "Cyborg" unit has from my point of view nothing to do with cyborgs), the robotic line of the Inventor should remain able to move on mountains (although I still prefer one line changing the race from "Dwarf" to "robot" and thereby getting the robot trait, and maybe an increase in resistences.) Alternativly, we could somehow put him into a powered exoskeleton and explain the bonuses suggested by my above by saying that the effects he became immune against are only reaching his armour that is not affected by them. As a mainline placeholder, you could use Karrag from tHoT (although he is not really one, he looks quite like one and he is a Runesmith (used as placeholde for the technicians) who made something slightly comparable.)
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

Just popping in to let y'all know I've had all manner of IRL problems and will hopefully be actively contributing to the era again in a month or so.
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

No problem, I'm actually VERY busy myself with university and haven't got around to doing any real work on the era for a while. But hey, feel free to contribute stuff when life gives you some slack, I'll pick everything up again around may, at the latest.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I realize it has been a while since anyone worked on this era, but I thought I should provide a bug report.

The problem is that sometimes when a unit levels up it gets 100% defense! Which is great, until your opponent gets one too....

I'm not sure what causes this, but it seems to have to do with this era in particular.