Dixie's Internet Meme Era Art Thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dixie

Re: Dixie's Internet Meme Era Art Thread

Post by Dixie »

Ok, I think I'll get that scallywag in :) And thanks for the swords. Do you think the Swashbuckler's would need a second pass too? When I said like the Swashbuckler in that last edit, I really meant like the gentleman, but I think you understood anyway.

About hair, yeah, It's kinda difficult, and mainline's is hard to read. And most of my ninjas' really ain't all that great (the Teisatsu's and ups' especially suck). Though I think most of your previous sprites' hair is fine, even your first scallywag's was possibly ok, if there had'nt been that big bandana that looked glued over and obscured the face.

btw, @ catgirl_ranger: thanks for trying, I'll admit it does look a bit random like this, but TC is often misleading, maybe it actually looks pretty good when it is converted, so I will try it out before passing final judgement :) Feel free to try your hand at anything else you might like! I'd love to see you start a sprite of your own, although it's admittedly a lot of work, especially in the beginning, and might not look great right away, it would help better yourself a ton.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I can draw some hair when it's sticking out from somewhere like from under a bandana, but nothing more.
gunner.png
gunner.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
One palm missing, one palm and rifle just blocked. Comments will be appreciated.

Edit: The Swashbuckler is on my to-do list, so don't worry.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

How bout a place holder for the old pirate captain or something.
Attachments
pirate-captain.png
pirate-captain.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

@ Kanapka:
Seems like a nice sprite, I'm curious to see how you render the gun. Atm it looks more like a big walking stick, but I suppose it's to be expected, blocked like that and all. Also, if his left hand is gonna be free like that, you could possibly give him a cutlass or dagger of some sort (like, a curved sword, but less impressive than the pirates'). And yet again: the scarf could use some more highlights, which leads me to...

@ catgirl_ranger:
I've tried both versions of the gentleman (yours and Kanapka's), and I must admit that what looked weird in magenta came out well when TCed. So I kept you version of the scarf :) I had to move the head back a pixel, though, as the more recent versions of Kanapka's sprite were that way, and it felt more natural. Feel free to contribute anything else :)

@ Dipsey:
I dunno about that captain. It seems we are gonna get to the captain in due time, and honnestly the sprite is pretty flat and small (for a lv3). He also lacks the traits that would make him recognisable as the captain: the hat, and possible the peg leg and hook. Also, that gun looks like a weird mega-phone and the cutlass looks like a conductors' stick or something :hmm: Sorry...
catgirl_ranger

Post by catgirl_ranger »

@Kanapka: You're right about testing, of course. I was rushing to get that posted. As for the rest, I'll take it as a "not different enough". :?

@Dixie: Yay! Although the ripple highlights weren't random, they were... busy. I think they could be better, especially with fewer of them I think. I'll probably take another shot at it, and you can decide what you like best.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Yeah I know it's terrible... Sorry I had just come back from a long trip... I'll try to finish upp my current stuff first.

P.S.

As I stated it was just a placeholder... Not a completed sprite.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Hand one
Hand one
gunner_onehand.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Hand two
Hand two
gunner_secondhand.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Yet another way
Yet another way
gunner_yet_another.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
I think his secondary weapon is a knife, and he'll get one. I can't draw the rifle the way I planned, so there are three different versions. If you have an alternate idea where to put the gun, I'd like to hear it, otherwise choose from these ones.

Catgirl_ranger: I'm no Magneta Master. Dixie said your scarf was better, so it's better.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

It's OK, Dipsey, no worries :) Take it cool.

And I kinda like the third gunner, I think (yet_another). The scarf is still bothering me a bit, but it's not really about the TC all that much, In think, more the shape. The end that goes above the other, behind the neck, looks pretty stiff, upwards like that. Maybe it should be elongated jsut a bit so it can go downward some and look more realistic? I dunno if I'm making myself clear... :hmm: maybe I'll try a paintover later tonight.

About TC, by the way, you can test it using this great little application by shadowmaster.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think it looked better with the old hand, I'll fix it. Thanks for reminding me of wesnoth-tc

Edit:
swashbuckler_newsword.png
swashbuckler_newsword.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
With new swords and shadow. (edited according to Vranca's remark)

And Gunner.
gunner.png
gunner.png (3.57 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Last edited by Kanapka on October 11th, 2010, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vranca

Post by Vranca »

swashbucklers left arm looks a bit like folded paper. Maybe reduce the inside line so it doesent go all the way to the end of his arm,if you understand what i mean.
My sprites,My Minitroops
Philip II of Macedon:"If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
The Spartan ephors:"If."
Subsequently, both Philip and Alexander would avoid Sparta entirely.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I dunno about the Swashbuckler... Maybe? It didn't jump at me, in any event. About the Gunner, I think the scarf, although better, still feels a bit stiff, somehow. His left arm also feels stiff, with maybe the hand and knife being a bit puny (small)? It's getting there, in any event, good job, Kanapka :)
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I did some tiny changes, but I don't know what makes the hand and scarf stiff. I'd fix it if I knew how. I think the knife is ok, I mean, it's not a cutlass or something big, just a knife.
Attachments
gunner.png
gunner.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Bah, let's call him okay, doesn't seem as shocking as I originally thought. :) Thanks!
catgirl_ranger

Post by catgirl_ranger »

Dixie wrote:Feel free to contribute anything else :)
Been thinking of what I could do. Do you need projectiles?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hmm, well I must admit I haven't started much stuff on the animation front. I can probably make do with most of what's alredy in mainline, maybe adding a few bits from UMCs like Era of Magic (which has some pretty awesome animations). If you feel there's anything you could do that's not already out there, go ahead :) I do dearly miss attack icons, though, if you think you can do some of that. I don't really have a complete list handy, though.