OpenOffice.org runs away from Oracle

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: OpenOffice.org runs away from Oracle

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

shadowmaster wrote:P.S. I wish I could also switch MS Office's UI language to English for free. Does anyone know if this is legally possible?
I searched a bit, and apparently the only way to change the interface language is to buy a Language Pack, sorry :(
Also, there are some news on the topic:
- first, Oracle will keep the OpenOffice.org brand (http://blogs.computerworld.com/17097/th ... ially_here)
- second, the Go-oo patches will be merged in LibreOffice.
http://www.documentfoundation.org/faq/ wrote: Q: What does this announcement mean to other derivatives of OpenOffice.org?
A: We want The Document Foundation to be open to code contributions from as many people as possible. We are delighted to announce that the enhancements produced by the Go-OOo team will be merged into LibreOffice, effective immediately. We hope that others will follow suit.
- third, LibreOffice will become the default office suite in next Ubuntu releases (http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/09/futu ... ipped.html)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

third, LibreOffice will become the default office suite in next Ubuntu releases
I wonder if that includes this Sunday's release. I would assume not. It's a pretty sudden change to make.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Gambit wrote:
third, LibreOffice will become the default office suite in next Ubuntu releases
I wonder if that includes this Sunday's release. I would assume not. It's a pretty sudden change to make.
I hope not. I'd hate to change my word processor in so short a notice, and in the middle of a big project in school to boot.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

But upgrading the OS is okay? :P
They probably wouldn't remove OpenOffice. If there is any kind of Common Sense™ in the world, then worst case is you'd have both for a while until you decided which to remove.
vcap

Post by vcap »

It's not that big of a change, actually.

As far as i understand, it's nothing but a rebranded Go-OOo.
sur.nhm

Symbols and punctuation [split from OOo discussion]

Post by sur.nhm »

Gambit wrote:But upgrading the OS is okay? :P
They probably wouldn't remove OpenOffice. If there is any kind of Common Sense™ in the world, then worst case is you'd have both for a while until you decided which to remove.
Ugrading the OS has got more to do with maintenance and the computer running smoother. Changing a word-processor, OTOH, means learning from scratch where all of those pesky functions (such as adding page numbers, for example,) are located. Augh.
A really Off-Topic note
What do you have to do with superscript? It seems you're very fond of it.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

sur.nhm wrote:Changing a word-processor, OTOH, means learning from scratch where all of those pesky functions (such as adding page numbers, for example,) are located. Augh.
I suppose the OpenOffice how it was in Ubuntu is nearer to LibreOffice (as it is now) than to the OpenOffice you could download on OpenOffice.org.
So there won't be much changes right now, the main change would be another name.
Spoiler:
And any changes to be made in the future could be made same likely also to the core OOo (but now maybe changes will occur a bit quicker).