Dixie's Internet Meme Era Art Thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vranca

Re: Dixie's Internet Meme Era Art Thread

Post by Vranca »

For another line this time,but you will probably use this one as a placeholder since i just added a few details,so he´s not very good.
Attachments
Quick.png
Quick.png (2.04 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
My sprites,My Minitroops
Philip II of Macedon:"If I win this war, you will be slaves forever."
The Spartan ephors:"If."
Subsequently, both Philip and Alexander would avoid Sparta entirely.
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

More robots!
sentinel.png
sentinel.png (4.21 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
centipede.png
centipede.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
scavenger.png
scavenger.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
volleygun.png
volleygun.png (3.71 KiB) Viewed 4194 times

Re light: I've been having my light source come the the top left (from the viewer's perspective).
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

The Cowboy is interesting, although the region around his hand/gun is a bit hard to read...

The bots I really like :) Seems to be going forward pretty fast, good job! My only real concern would be about the Sentinel missing a plow of some sort (for its interrupt attack). Looking closely, it seems to have some bumper or something before its tracks, but it's hard to know for sure. Maybe just having some kinda arms that connect to it, to draw attention to the small bumper-like thing. Having some kinda arms might also help balance the sprite visually or something? I dunno. Also, did you really intend this as the Sentinel (lv3), or the Keeper (lv2)?

In any event, I am wiring in the volleygun, scavvy and centy :) I will try to do the last tweaks we talked about tomorrow morning and release a new version.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

The Sentinel does indeed have a shovel beneath its drill, and hiding beneath the layers is a whole framework of armatures connecting it and the tracks to the body - which will become perfectly clear in the attack and idle animations when I get round to animating stuff.

See, the design is such that when it goes mining, the shovel withdraws underneath and becomes part of the body, and the tracks withdraw into the sides where they can pull the machine along the tunnels it builds. The idle animation will consist of this transformation, along with the head retracting and the brass panel covering the hole, so that it becomes a long drill on tracks, and then transforming back again. (Did I mention I love Transformers?) Hmm, maybe this sequence will be better suited to the 'enemy missed attack' animation... we'll see.

The attack animation will show the shovel being pushed forwards on a piston-like framework, making it clear what's happening. Originally, I had planned for the shovel to be at the rear of the unit, but this meant it was obscured, so I changed this.

And yes, I'm using the sprite for the whole Sentinel line (the name just stuck with me) until I make a bulkier one for the final evolution. That just leaves a Probe and Ironclad, and I believe we'll have graphics for all lv1 Robots?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

There would also be the Oiler. And the Forager, if you count him in "the lv1 robots" (seeing how it is lv1 but not recruitable). And depends if you're counting the Mechanician as a robot. If you don't feel inspired for the dwarves, we could see if I could do them or something, if you'd prefer. Not right away, though :P

And there's no problem with the Sentinel, then, I'm including it. You're the lead designer for the bots, especially graphic-wise, so I'm cutting you plenty of slack :P I just thought I'd mention it, in case you'd forgotten. ;)
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

D'oh, of course, with the Oiler being currently non-tracked it slipped my mind.

If I'm going to do work on the Dwarf-related units, it'd probably be after making all the mechanical sprites; pretty focussed on the mecha design right now ;)

I may come back to the Sentinel line and redo the perspective; I'm not 100% happy with the way it looks right now.
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

scallywag.png
scallywag.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
Heavily WIP, I could use some comments on arms and gun. Muskets were long, will it be ok if I don't give L1 a six foot long rifle?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

So I understand you gave up on using him to replace the pirate? :P
Anyway, I must admit I'm still not a big fan of the head. I dunno if it's small, or the huge bandanna giving off that impression, or maybe it jsut lacks expression or something, I dunno...
Also, reading your text and knowing the unit, it's pretty obvious he's holding a rifle, but my first thought was "what's that stick he's holding?". It don't mind if the earlier level don't have uber-long rifles, but maybe it could be bulkier so it's more obvious what it is? (look at the thunderer)

Keep it up! :)
catgirl_ranger

Post by catgirl_ranger »

One shiny scarf for a gentleman adventurer. :) I haven't looked at it in game, so I don't know if it's the right brightness . Also, on the tail ends I have a hard time figuring out what's shiny enough and what's too shiny, so input is appreciated.
gentlemanshinyscarf.png
gentlemanshinyscarf.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

catgirl_ranger: If you draw something, test in-game for tc, especially as your're improving tc. I think you added some 3 bright pixels to the scarf, it's not the way. You need to brighten up the whole highlight area, and maybe borders. Tail ends look flat in my version, because they are flat and straight. To look more realistic they should be waved, not randomly highlighted. I attach a new version of Gentleman, if you want to do remakes, use this one. (The head was misplaced)
Why no one told me that the head was misplaced?
Why no one told me that the head was misplaced?
gentleman7.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Dixie: You said you liked the parts I wanted to remake the most, so for now I'll leave the Pirate as it is. 'Heavily WIP' meant that Scallywag is getting a new head, and probably some other color for shirt. I'll make his rifle larger and maybe a bit longer, it looks like a pump action shotgun to me :?.
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

re Team Colours: I recently requested a swatch showing the colours to which the tones of magenta correspond in-game. Tinkering with this within your graphics app may well be a lot quicker than saving, inserting into Wesnoth, starting a game, deploying units, rinse and repeat:

Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Whether or not you put it in as red or as magenta, if you put it in with a brush it still won't work. :P
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

Improved Scallywag. I think I'll keep the shirt, and I wasn't able to draw any decent hair or hat. Can we go with a bald unit line?
scallywag.png
scallywag.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Any comments will be appreciated.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

This is coming along nicely, the musket is much more recognisable and the head is interesting. While I have nothing against baldness, it does seem a bit bare, though. Maybe a goatee or mustache of some kind, or an earring/earpin, or an eyepatch could give it just the little decoration it lacks to be really interesting...? I understand it's a Lv1 though, and shouldn't be going over the top either. Seems almost there, in any event! :) Keep it up!

PS: I'm working on redoing the unit trees with an image software that doesn't desaturate everything. It keeps crashing, though, so I'm moving slowly...

Edit: Btw, will you be redoing the swords for the pirate and ups like you did the Swashbuckler? Would be nice :)
Kanapka

Post by Kanapka »

I think hair requires some kind of color/shadow/light understanding I don't have, and mainline hair, when zoomed in, appears to be random pixels. Therefore eyepatch only.
scallywag.png
scallywag.png (1.91 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
Pirate, Boarder and Corsair swords improved. I hope they're better, if not, please tell me what's wrong.
pirate.png
pirate.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
boarder.png
boarder.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
corsair.png
corsair.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 3991 times