Games discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Games

Post by Pentarctagon »

styles1005 wrote:@Pentarctagon: I like Granger and Tao. Mainly Granger - you get what I refer to as the "Big Booms" - carpet bombing, A10s, airstrikes in general - sooner, partially in USA in general and partially due to Granger's gaining carpet bombing from the Strategy Center. I don't remember if other generals do that too, though. Anyway, I like the Point Defense Lasers - helps greatly with wearing down enemy defenses.
personally I also ways found Granger to be one of the easiest to fight against, though I was usually Townes, so airstrikes in general didn't work very well against me :lol2:
also something fun to do: make a humvee, put 1-2 snipers and 3-4 missile troops in it, and then have your strategy center give the range bonus. Its insane, sometimes I have won (against computers of course) with only 1 humvee :twisted:
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Heh. If you pour everything into AA Granger wouldn't be much of a problem I guess - I'm not sure, because I never saw anybody on the one or two times I looked into MP, so it was just against bots for me. Even so at full strength with multiple airfields it's not hard to wear down AA defenses faster than the enemy can rebuild them, then out-attrition them by building lots of supply drops while primarily targeting superweapons+money-making buildings with your particle beams as they waste resources rebuilding AA. A bit harder against China though as Gatlings ignore Countermeasures and they can just keep churning out hackers.

EDIT: Hey, Myst actually looks interesting! Even so, I don't really like puzzles except as minor time-wasters, so . . . not for me. :|
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

its more that his turrets don't use missiles + he has discounted avengers (I am also generally a early/mid game camper, so build a lot of turrets), though I usually play with the 'limit superweapons' option since the only ai that i've seen build more than one superweapon is Alexander.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

styles1005 wrote:EDIT: Hey, Myst actually looks interesting! Even so, I don't really like puzzles except as minor time-wasters, so . . . not for me. :|
If you think Myst looks cool you might want to get realMyst (It's myst only you can actually move and look around instead of pointing and clicking stuff.)

Eh, is this a list of just games you've PLAYED or games you've beaten and/or own?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Games you've played and enjoyed.

dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Frogger5 wrote:Wolfenstien Enemy Territory. :twisted:
I'm hooked. Massive fun.
I would just love to play the Atari Wolfenstien.
johndh

Post by johndh »

<self-promotion>I'm working on a pretty sweet mod for Glest Advanced Engine (a FOSS strategy game), which aims to actually make use of many of the engine's capabilities that are sadly lacking in the current content (like temporary effects, emanations, water travel, et al.). I should have a playable alpha ready to be released with GAE v0.4, which is estimated to be around the beginning of the year.</self-promotion> :whistle:

Let's see... other games I enjoy include [acronym=You really had to look?]BfW[/acronym], MegaGlest (the other Glest fork, with a more active multiplayer community), and Warzone 2100 (though it's been a while...). As you can probably tell, I don't like paying to play, as all the preceding are FOSS. ;) In the past, I've enjoyed such commercial fare as KotOR, Warcraft 2 and 3, Elder Scrolls 1 and 3, Halo 1 and 2, Half-life (Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and 2), and Medieval: Total War.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Ohhhh... Myst. That was so fun. Except that I totally suck at it, and end up using walkthroughs for half the puzzles... but still, I love that stuff.
Although, after Riven the series really went downhill, IMHO, except graphics-wise.
I would definitely recommend Myst, and even the sequels. (just cause they aren't as good as the original doesn't mean they aren't still good games.)
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

One game I enjoyed to play is Ultima VII, an old DOS game (1992, commercial) in two parts (I played only the first part, The Black Gate). It's a quite immersive RPG : there's an interesting plot, the player (and its companions) have to eat and sleep, some companions can leave your group if you don't have a virtuous behaviour (you steal or kill innocent people), the NPCs' behaviours are the most realistic of the RPG I played : they behave according the hours in the game : at midday you'll find them eating at the local inn, at night, they are sleeping, the merchants will sell you things only when they are in their shop... The game can be played today with a DOS emulator or with Exult, an open source engine for Ultima VII.

I like monoplayer RPGs, but only those open source and running on Linux are rare and mostly short or incomplete (rogue-like excluded).
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Heh. I played Ultima Online for a while - that's one I forgot to mention. I really need to cancel the account for that thing - it's costing $15 a month and I don't even play it anymore.

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I won Myst entirely by accident without going through most of the game. I never got around to actually solving the rest of the puzzles. Riven was excelent, Exile was good, I was not overly fond of four (never finished it) and I never tried five.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Velensk wrote:I won Myst entirely by accident without going through most of the game. I never got around to actually solving the rest of the puzzles. Riven was excelent, Exile was good, I was not overly fond of four (never finished it) and I never tried five.
I played Myst, Riven and Exile, and won neither. They're the most frustrating games I have ever played, but awesome nonetheless.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Try regnum online: it's a freeware mmo that's a bit like warcraft, but with three sides instead of two, and I think the pvp is a bit better and the non pvp is a bit worse.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Ohhhh... Myst. That was so fun. Except that I totally suck at it, and end up using walkthroughs for half the puzzles... but still, I love that stuff.
Although, after Riven the series really went downhill, IMHO, except graphics-wise.
I would definitely recommend Myst, and even the sequels. (just cause they aren't as good as the original doesn't mean they aren't still good games.)
Myst is fantastic (although i've never finished it). Especially the graphics.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »