Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Major
Art Contributor

Re: artisticdude's art: Evil Dwarves, Big-Mouthed Monsters,

Post by Major »

The Dwarves look amazing!
The Weaver line's skulls look like they've got goggles on though, a little less darkness around the eyes would work.
The Charybdis' skin around the mouth is waaaayyy too wrinkled, is that intentional?
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Progress. Well, a little, anyway. :roll: Been focusing mainly on the Devourer line recently, and the shading of the musculatures has been... painful. It sucks when you've been shading for half an hour and then discover you've just pillowed the whole sprite.
Zerovirus wrote:He's still very much tilted forwards, though, and you should fix his posture.
Actually, it was orginally my intention to have him floating and leaning forward, but I think I'll change that now. Just need to change his head, spruce up his robes a bit and finish his hands (and give some more attention to his midriff), and he should be done.
Major wrote:The Dwarves look amazing!
Thanks!
Major wrote:The Weaver line's skulls look like they've got goggles on though, a little less darkness around the eyes would work.
Good point. I did as you suggested, and it works great, I may want to decrease the darkness on the side of the lvl 3's head even more though...
Major wrote:The Charybdis' skin around the mouth is waaaayyy too wrinkled, is that intentional?
Yup, it was intentional. I wanted a mutated version of the ghast's stomach, and what better way than to make it larger and add more wrinkles? :P :mrgreen:
Attachments
djg2.png
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Originally did this as a concept for the ancient lich development thread, but it turned out looking way too... regular-lich looking? So blah, I figured I might as well try and develop what little portrait skills I have and try and finish this thing.
Attachments
Mal Has a Staff.png
IPS

Re: artisticdude's art: Lich Portrait Sketch

Post by IPS »

I think if the color of the light must be blue or purple instead of red must look better and it must like more to the lich's sprite.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

IPS wrote:I think if the color of the light must be blue or purple instead of red must look better and it must like more to the lich's sprite.
This was originally for the Ancient Lich Development Thread - which had the goal of doing a portrait of an ancient lich and then doing a sprite to match. Thus he wasn't actually making it with that in mind.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

If the ribcage is intended to be human, I think it is a bit big. But, given the nature of the unit, he might as well have taken an orcish or drakish ribcage. I'm also not sure about the skull: somehow I think it looks to "full" or "plain", more like an actual face than a skull. I think it ought to have more holes overall (natural ones, not wounds or damage). But then again, I suppose you used some reference for doing this.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Completely unfair.

Disagree with Dixie on the ribcage and skull. Unless I'm wrong it is expressive, thus sells anatomical exactitude for dramatic impact (and anyway, I wouldn't say it's that far off). Big ribcage means it draws attention to the hollow chest cavity and inhumanity -it also serves as focal point thingy with the sternum. Face depends on what he does with it, I mean how much desicated tissue he puts on, but it has the "bwahahahah! I'm sooo evil" look I try vainly to emulate in real life.

Just hope that the cloting is suitibly ripped or 'figure hugging' (as I said, skeletons aren't shy) so you can see all those bones you took so much trouble to draw.

Is coming on well, if I don't comment too much on your stuff (to the degree I did before you were a contributor) don't feel offended, it is because you don't need it or there's not much help I could offer.

keep it up.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I wholeheartedly agree. :D
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Progress on the lich thingie. And an undead horseman and a sewer grate (both for my new project).
Attachments
undead_horseman.png
undead_horseman.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
sewer_grate.png
sewer_grate.png (7.47 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
wraithie lichie.png
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The undead horseman looks great, except that you need to match the armour colour on the feet, too. It would probably be usable if you fix that.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Is that supposed to be a /medieval/ sewer grate?
Don't you really want something more like this: http://www.ooze.com/sewer/wein-grate-paper.jpg

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

thespaceinvader wrote:The undead horseman looks great, except that you need to match the armour colour on the feet, too. It would probably be usable if you fix that.
Ah, that was unintentional, the boot color should have matched the armor color anyway. I was trying out several palette variations, and obviously forgot to change the boot along with the rest of the armor when I settled on a palette. Thanks for pointing that out! I fixed that, and also corrected a few minor details and added the reigns reins.
Simons Mith wrote:Is that supposed to be a /medieval/ sewer grate?
Don't you really want something more like this: http://www.ooze.com/sewer/wein-grate-paper.jpg
No, I need it to go straight down, like a modern day manhole. It's pretty bad (I'm not all that great at brush art), but it'll do as a placeholder until I have time to create a better one.
Attachments
undead_horseman.png
undead_horseman.png (6.21 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Last edited by artisticdude on November 12th, 2010, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

artisticdude wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:The undead horseman looks great, except that you need to match the armour colour on the feet, too. It would probably be usable if you fix that.
Ah, that was unintentional, the boot color should have matched the armor color anyway. I was trying out several palette variations, and obviously forgot to change the boot along with the rest of the armor when I settled on a palette. Thanks for pointing that out! I fixed that, and also corrected a few minor details and added the reigns.
Simons Mith wrote:Is that supposed to be a /medieval/ sewer grate?
No, I need it to go straight down, like a modern day manhole. It's pretty bad (I'm not all that great at brush art), but it'll do as a placeholder until I have time to create a better one.
He looks like he's leaning back a bit too much.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Can't really expect anyone to stay straight when he's clearly dead
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

artisticdude wrote:reigns
REINS. Reigns control nations. Reins control horses.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.