Zombie Apocalypse RPG 1.6

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG(Beta Testing)

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

I just uploaded a new version, I made the beginning slightly easier for first-timers, giving them a general idea of how they should proceed.
Mabuse wrote:umm, i looked into the code to be able to play the game better, i actually know about every single item in the game, and also played some H's already. wit that knowledge (well, i can definately say that knowledge where to find stuff improves the gameplay - not otherwise, not to know where stuff is and search everything and dont find anything, is just frustrating)
It should be fairly obvious where to find the first guns now.

Also, keep in mind that some items are supposed to be semi-secret, like the Flamethrower, the key to the armory.

Otherwise there are weapon in kinda obvious, like the store room in the military base(duh) or the police station, which has many weapons.
Mabuse wrote:unfortuanately my save file gots corrupted, but i was even able save the BLONDE woman with my flamethrower guy (it happened that i didnt go to that area in the first turns on my test game - instead when i returned with my flamethrower the sequence triggered the first time, and i was able to annihilate the zombie with the flamer ;))

i also killed the necrophage already, ufortuanately wesnoth then crashed - and i have to replay it all :p since the save dont work
I'm not sure why auto saves are bugged, normal saves work fine though.

Mabuse wrote:- place easily recognizebale items on the maps. a shotgun item for a shotgun, a white package with a red cross for a med kit
I don't have the graphics(except a thunderstick), and perhaps it would to obvious, at least for weapons.
Mabuse wrote:- add some SLIGHT melee weapons. in the areas/houses where is nothing to find yet.
that way you still have to get everywhere and it makes the game more interesting.
be aware that only SLIGT melee weapons whould be added, since a stronger melee retaliation will make the game easier.
i thought about adding 4 knifes (5-2 melee pierce), 4 axes (6-2 melee balde) and the pitchfork (6-2 melee pierce) to the map.
I'm planning to add: Baseball Bat(School), Pitchfork(Farm), Axe(Carpenter House), Saw(Carpenter House), Sledgehammer(Carpenter House), Chainsaw(Tool Shop), Knives(Some Houses)
Mabuse wrote:- improve the healing system by adding one-use bandages.
you may want to add some small bandages (to restrore 25 HP per use to the game) so that p1 can be healed actually before the 2nd med kit is found. put these in areas that doesnt contain anything so far.
Both Medic Kits can be got in the beginning of the game, I don't think it's necessary, and even if somehow the player with the first Medic Kit gets hurt before they reach the hospital, just let him stay in the back for a while.

The hospital is the second place one should visit in the town center, and there aren't many enemies around there either.
Mabuse wrote:also keeping some bandages for later find is good so that players can perhaps at also sometimes independent from each other
That's not really need during most part of the quest though, even when cleaning the teleport the rooms for each of the players I'd rather stay in group, it's likely to be just too much for a single player.
Mabuse wrote:- after you got the key to the armory, you can spawn some packs of 40 HP zombies to make the way back up to the armory abit more interesting.
Perhaps, but that would after the junkyard events, because the armory isn't part of the quest, it's a sidequest.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: The hospital is the second place one should visit in the town center, and there aren't many enemies around there either.
i dont know what you mean by "not many", but the sequence around the farm and later conatins quite some action, and if the guy with the med kit get posioned there, he wil be VERY weak once he reaches the hospital, a single zombie (and you cant block effectively) would kil him, and then the game woudl be basically ended.

just for that case i woudl place somewhere in the starting area also one or two "cure packs" or first "aid kits" that cure and restore some HP. jus for tha case. else you wil be forced to restart the game.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:
Mabuse wrote:also keeping some bandages for later find is good so that players can perhaps at also sometimes independent from each other
That's not really need during most part of the quest though, even when cleaning the teleport the rooms for each of the players I'd rather stay in group, it's likely to be just too much for a single player.
sure, i woudl recommend to be in a group anywy. but i just say that the bandages woudl not be completely useless (but also not so much important). they wil be just some nice fillers, if you dont have to place anything else in a location. you can put a firstaid kit or a cure kit there.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:
Mabuse wrote:- after you got the key to the armory, you can spawn some packs of 40 HP zombies to make the way back up to the armory abit more interesting.
Perhaps, but that would after the junkyard events, because the armory isn't part of the quest, it's a sidequest.
sure, after the junkyard effect.
keep waves of harder enemies coming then :)
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: I don't have the graphics(except a thunderstick), and perhaps it would to obvious, at least for weapons.
ah well, just take the (perhaps slightly edited) gfx from the weapon icons.
i think they should serve their purpose

hope you're on now, so we can paly a round, i would like to play :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Mabuse wrote:i dont know what you mean by "not many", but the sequence around the farm and later conatins quite some action, and if the guy with the med kit get posioned there, he wil be VERY weak once he reaches the hospital, a single zombie (and you cant block effectively) would kil him, and then the game woudl be basically ended.
Well I assume players don't completely suck at wesnoth and can think at least one bit.

If one of their units is weak, particularly a important one, normally they won't send it the frontline.

Besides hen you are in the farm, you can retreat inside the pen and fight the undead one by one if you feel it's THAT challenging.
Mabuse wrote:just for that case i woudl place somewhere in the starting area also one or two "cure packs" or first "aid kits" that cure and restore some HP. jus for tha case. else you wil be forced to restart the game.
It isn't that difficult.
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: sure, i woudl recommend to be in a group anywy. but i just say that the bandages woudl not be completely useless (but also not so much important). they wil be just some nice fillers, if you dont have to place anything else in a location. you can put a firstaid kit or a cure kit there.
I'm planning to make side quests and a score system based on people rescued/sidequests done, I'm not just going to randomly plant items here and there.
Mabuse wrote:sure, after the junkyard effect.
keep waves of harder enemies coming then :)
I've thought of that but the game may end up being way too long.

It already takes like 3 hours to finish.
Araja

Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG(Beta Testing) 0.0.5

Post by Araja »

Er...Hate to sound like a noob, but what do you do with the armory key? I've searched every building I can get into, talked to the children, examined the corpse near the beast multiple times, scouted out every last hex I can reach and picked up the shovel, pickaxe and rope. But...I haven't got a clue where to go. All I see are locked doors and places I've already visted. Do I have to stand next to all the locked doors with my commandos?

And apologies to Mabuse since I get the feeling I insulted him with my last post. Unless he wasn't replying to me of course, in which case....erm...Nevermind?
PapaSmurfReloaded

Araja wrote:Er...Hate to sound like a noob, but what do you do with the armory key? I've searched every building I can get into, talked to the children, examined the corpse near the beast multiple times, scouted out every last hex I can reach and picked up the shovel, pickaxe and rope. But...I haven't got a clue where to go. All I see are locked doors and places I've already visted. Do I have to stand next to all the locked doors with my commandos?
To open a locked door, you stand next to it and right click on it, if you have the key, it will open.

And the armory key open a doors in the southern residential area.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, i kinda like this stuff of horror RPG's though
one other suggestion the "restore movement/HP system unless there no enemy in range/no enemy wandering around" used in wesband

however, i feel that you can make something outta it, perhaps it needs to get a bit more user friendly and convienient

i may sit myself here and start working on one also SOMEDAY
(can take some time of course though ;))

it may be a bit inspired by "call of cthulhu", which i played as pen and paper long years ago :)
PapaSmurfReloaded

Mabuse wrote:btw, i kinda like this stuff of horror RPG's though
one other suggestion the "restore movement/HP system unless there no enemy in range/no enemy wandering around" used in wesband

however, i feel that you can make something outta it, perhaps it needs to get a bit more user friendly and convienient

i may sit myself here and start working on one also SOMEDAY
(can take some time of course though ;))

it may be a bit inspired by "call of cthulhu", which i played as pen and paper long years ago :)
There is an add-on full of RPG Resources on the add-on server, you could use that if you are planning to make something similar.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ah well, first i play a bit zombie acocalypse.
and yes, i already havethat add-on of yours, it is really valuabale and will surely be used then

btw i just host another game with that "restore moves if no ens within 16 tiles radius". will just see how that one works out.

feel free to join and watch if you like
Araja

Post by Araja »

Hi again... :oops:

I wandered around right-clicking on all the doors until I got into the church, I'm guessing that was the police master key. My commandos were talking about a reptile man which had never previously been mentioned, so I couldn't help but wonder if I've missed part of the story. I tried the library door and got a message saying it was unlocked, but it remained impassable...Debugged a unit onto the other side to trigger the event and read the book...Guess I look for those now.

I went back to the well to see if it did anything now, completed the whole process, and now I've got a powerful gun but am lost as to destinations again. Back to right clicking everything...
About 15 turns later I found the armory, which had some nice guns in but once again doesn't give me a direction...The quest to find the communications centre has been overwritten by the one about finding the book, which is probably as well since I never found out how to get into the comms centre.

So...Anyone know where we're supposed to go at this stage? I must be starting to sound a bit stupid but this is the most confusing add-on I've ever seen. I have to give credit to the PapaSmurf though; he's managed to create something so epic that you need guidance on your first playthrough. That's story and detail overkill :D
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Araja wrote: About 15 turns later I found the armory, which had some nice guns in but once again doesn't give me a direction...The quest to find the communications centre has been overwritten by the one about finding the book, which is probably as well since I never found out how to get into the comms centre.
hehe, btw - PMS shoudl carefully read this.

as i played the game with him as observer (i got killed at some point later though)
i also didnt manage to get into the comm center.

to get into the comm center: step on one of the crates next to it, then right click on an adjacent fence and select "climb"

i told him this is to unintuitive and unnessessarily complicated, imho the fences next to the crates should be simply "non-impassable" so people can immediatly see that there is a way.
(if an item is needed for that (rope maybe) - the hexes can be unlocked then as soon the rope gets picked up)

as said i also woud have not gotten anywhere without guidiance or soemthing liek that.

things need to me made much more obvious and convenient.
as i said gameplay is clumsy, and no matter how good the story is or the idea behind the game, people wil not play it and waste their time wildy clicking around for nothing.

as a tip i have also for example:
some locations coudl use some workover, for example the sewers, its maybe bettr if you make everything (except the most narrow passages) at least 2 hexes wide.

also my death in the sewers shoudl have been an indicator for the thing that a few bandages (these woudl give +25HP imediatly) coudl save a hero from death. there shouldnt be overly many bandages, but in very critical situations they coudl be really useful. esspecially since one of the heroes is dead the game is almost unsolveable. if one of the medkit guys die, you cannot continue.

also the sewers coudl need more plain-water (the one that cost only 1 MP) to allow more mobility, in the end nobody benefits from players spend 30 turns just from getting from a to b.
as said you must think convienient. game-time wasted for nothing and palyes that just walk around wil not make a high replay value.

that the saves dont work (my saves never work) this is another problem.

on a second note:
more action in the later game is appreciated, once yu have fought your way down to the flamethrower and wlak up again, then things should go frenzy and i would spawn zombies every turn at the north west (farm) and south west corner. these coudl be even strong ones

however, there should be a constant threat and zombies wander around.
to force the players into a ceratin direction you may even spawn a HUGE wave of zombies

im sure though that PMS will take the right things into account

i for myself ceased testing for now and work on SX RPG atm, but wil be happy to test and play again, if there is something new and if some of the things get realized in order to make the game more convienient to play.

as said i find myself using the shortcut keys for end-turn (never used it before), because it happens that you just move and end turn, move, end turn. somehtines you dont move at all and wait for a team mate.

and thats another point: since you cant do [censored] alone you completely depend on your teams mates.

i ask myeslf if the game wouldnt be better if it woudl be just designed for 2 heroes (which woudl be then stronger ofc.) this woudl sped up the game a lot.
i can imagine that playing the game with 4 real people is an extreme pain in the ass, since yu have to stick as tight together as possible.

with only 2 people i would also enable zoc for the players.
atm i play 4 heores for myself and that is barely playable.
i wudl be ahppy if you coudl play it with just 2 heroes since that simply reduces the amount of playing and waiting time a lot. as said previously, having 2 somewhat stronger heroes woudl be also way more fun than having 4 weak heroes that must step on their toes all the time anyway, sicne they cant do [censored] alone.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, if this sounded harsh, i apologize.

creating things is an unthankful job and poeple always have something to complain.
i do know that.

however, that shouldnt keep you from trying to make the game most enjoyable for the players.

once you created something nobody can take it away from you and you can make it better and better.
that i give suggestions is only meant in a friendly way :)
its your task to decide what you take into account and what you discard.

as said i woudl love to play a game wiht you an araja for example ;)

btw i found an item that you may use as decoration for the graveyard:
opengrave.png
opengrave.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
open grave, could be also used as a spawn point or whatever.
your turn now ;)
Araja

Post by Araja »

Thanks.

Btw, what's the problem with keeping commandos alive? I've only ever had problems with mutants and bats, and those were my own fault because I didn't hang onto the sniper rifle or shotgun.

But everything except bats and mutants isn't really capable of killing you, at least once you've got decent guns. The regular zombies in particular you can avoid by running away; you're faster then they are and once you're out their movement reach the dumb things won't even follow you. :lol2:
Last edited by Araja on September 23rd, 2010, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

but you werent in the sewers yet. ;)
and with that i dont mean the first time in the sewers

but thats another story, i dont spoil anything for you

btw, what about meeting on add on server and play a bit ? :)
Araja

Post by Araja »

Oh you ninja'd me as I was editing my post to reflect my experiences in the sewer. I still think they would have been fine if I'd kept hold of better guns and not given both my awesome weapons to my medics like a fool.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

so you already fought the boss in the sewers ?
or speaking about the bats ?