1.9.1 over prev 1.8.4 dir

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
RSF7

1.9.1 over prev 1.8.4 dir

Post by RSF7 »

Wesnoth 1.9.1 exe installer
installed over previous version directory (/userdata was still there), 1.8.4 removed via control panel
Windows 2000 Prof SP4
userdata stored in install location

I just installed 1.9.1 and got a few bugs, figured I would talk about it.

-When I first started the game the title screen (the "Battle for Wesnoth" letters) that pans across the screen was extremely slow, but after it finished the gui was fine. I then went and turned off animated map. When in the MP lobby I asked about this apparently it happened to one other person as well, but another person said it was fine for him.

-Joined MP server with this username, got a bunch of errors from my previous add ons when the progress bar came up, clicked OK a bunch of times and all was well, im guessing this is because I installed over old dir.

-Got into lobby, a couple people there. Checked out the create game screen, mouse after images started to appear, but did not persist after a few seconds. The mouse after images kept appearing at every game screen from then on, but stopped after a few seconds.

-As per request of the lobby folk, started a game of isars cross, no one joined so I canceled it. When I returned to the lobby it was as if I was the only person there(on the server).

-Quit MP server and tried to join again, it stopped on 0% on the one that said reading cache.

-Quit Wesnoth and tried to run again, it crashes at "Reading files and creating cache", with the exact error text being:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\...\Wesnoth.exe
abnormal program termination

Going to install again to a different path, im guessing that was the issue.

edit: installed C:\..\Wesnoth2\ lol, everything appears fine, title screen is still slow. also, the reason I was alone was a server crash, everyone got booted. and the new lobby is no longer slow for me as it was in 1.8.4
vcap

Re: 1.9.1 over prev 1.8.4 dir

Post by vcap »

RSF7 wrote:When I first started the game the title screen (the "Battle for Wesnoth" letters) that pans across the screen was extremely slow,
Same thing here (with linux). btw, this can be turned off in the Advanced Options.
RSF7 wrote:I then went and turned off animated map.
The performance of animated terrains has improved since 1.9.0; maybe you could give it a try.
Killcycle

Post by Killcycle »

The sidescrolling anim slowing down the main page happens with me too. Also, the GUI seems to be clunky - I click a button and the sound and actual reaction come at lagged speeds compared to 1.8.4, and nothing happened like that in 1.9.0 or 1.8.4.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

The titlescreen was totally redone to use the new GUI code. It still has some issues, but it will surely get fixed up.
Killcycle

Post by Killcycle »

Well, the seemingly clunky response time seems to be client-wide; especially when going into load game or recalling / recruiting units. The actual gameplay seems unaffected.

Anyways not like it isn't manageable 'til 1.9.2 :)
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Killcycle wrote:The sidescrolling anim slowing down the main page happens with me too. Also, the GUI seems to be clunky - I click a button and the sound and actual reaction come at lagged speeds compared to 1.8.4, and nothing happened like that in 1.9.0 or 1.8.4.
Note that in 1.8.x the click was on the button was pressed.
In 1.9.1 the click is when the button released, this could be the difference.

The speed of the logo needs some improvement.