SX Development

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: SX Development

Post by Mabuse »

3.7.1 is out.

+ RIVIVE MODE
+ CAVE EXPLORER TRAIT (for Warrior, Ranger, Cleric and Wizard, replaces Hunter/brawler trait)
+ 40% minimum deefnse after terrain training

couldnt figure out how to change mountain terraindef for cavalry or other similar situation (unwalkable for land units for example) yet.

but i thought RIVIVE mode is worth a try so you might want to have some fun with it.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

3.7.2:

slight update.
deals with the issue of the cavalry and moutaindefense (as well any other similar situation - land units and deep water def)

so now "terrain training" gives definately 40% def, "agility" increses definately terrain def by 20% (up to a max of 50%)
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Hello.
I just updated the Mabuse's SX addon to 3.7.2 and downloaded the Ageless era, and i've got this error in my stderr.txt

Code: Select all

C:/JEUX/Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Missing closing tag for tag set_variable at core/macros/utils.cfg:66 included from core/_main.cfg:6 included from _main.cfg:5 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1436 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1317 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/threeplayer_macros.cfg:60 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scen_new/SXC_Storm_Castle.cfg:621 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:24, value '' at core/macros/utils.cfg:68 included from core/_main.cfg:6 included from _main.cfg:5 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1436 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1317 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/thre:60
All SXCollective maps don't load anymore since then.
Wesnoth 1.8.3 on WinXPSP3
Changeling

Post by Changeling »

I haven't read through everything, but just here to report a bug. I used yellow potion and when I go poisoned, my HP went down to normal 100%.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Changeling wrote:I haven't read through everything, but just here to report a bug. I used yellow potion and when I go poisoned, my HP went down to normal 100%.
its a wesnoth engine "feature".
fixing it would probably go along with some hazzling around, so i didnt go into this
other things have more priority atm

so for now you have to live with it
it not even said that it is fixed at all.
(it kinda makes some sense)

so while you are above 100% health, avoid being posioned.

thx for reporting though
Last edited by Mabuse on August 30th, 2010, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Crowley wrote:Hello.
I just updated the Mabuse's SX addon to 3.7.2 and downloaded the Ageless era, and i've got this error in my stderr.txt

C:/JEUX/Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Missing closing tag for tag set_variable at core/macros/utils.cfg:66 included from core/_main.cfg:6 included from _main.cfg:5 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1436 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1317 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/threeplayer_macros.cfg:60 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scen_new/SXC_Storm_Castle.cfg:621 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:24, value '' at core/macros/utils.cfg:68 included from core/_main.cfg:6 included from _main.cfg:5 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1436 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1317 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/thre:60
All SXCollective maps don't load anymore since then.
Wesnoth 1.8.3 on WinXPSP3
ok, thx for report.
the SXC team has now an own thread

i dont know what is causing the bug.
people also talk about it in the SXC thread.

you can try to delete some SXC maps as a temporary solution, at least it is said this could (strangely) fix that matter.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok, some news:
working on the new map (and related stuff) is in progress.

beside this i may add some little changes in the items handling.

- resistance rings give only +5% resistance in every category now
- items will be dropable (only if hero has an attack left)
- items will be shown in inventory menu
- the "weaponry" will be called "weaponry/items shop" in future, and you may be also able to buy items and potions there. the items available in shop MAY be randomized for each player.
- certain items may be dropped on players death

also:

- some slight balance adjustment for the creep strengh
- slightly improved map design also for the old maps
(for example some terrain items (like bonestacks for example) may have different terrain omvement costs and different defense values). so interor items may be used as for combat.

and more stuff

will be included when the new map is out.
so this is just a message that SX development is still progressing (albeit a bit slowly)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok, some people may think ..
what is mabuse doing all the time.

so i post just 3 example units that MAY be used in the upcoming map.
they are frankensteins

example 1:

eastern chaos guard (lvl2):
Kopie von c2spearshield.png
Kopie von c2spearshield.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
(frankie of kalifa unit and an orcish uint)

mummy guard (lvl3)
Kopie von mummyking2.png
Kopie von mummyking2.png (2.4 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
(frankie of phantom units)

demon warlock (boss)
warlocks.png
warlocks.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
(frankie of old minotaur units)

and more stuff like that .. ;)

eastern chaos fanatic (lvl3)
kalifadfanatic.png
kalifadfanatic.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
eastern chaos skirmisher (lvl2)
Kopie von a2berserknet.png
Kopie von a2berserknet.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, 3.8.0 is on its way.

i polished up the shop, changed some details
much more appealing overall ;)

the most significant feature is that you now can buy some items and potions in the shop
also swimmer-trait replaces the old backpack trait

you can buy a backpack in the shop if you like

the new items include:

- minor leadership item 80g
+10% damage (so will pay of if you have 20 or more damage)
i made it minor so that it isnt completely wasted money once oyu find a btter leadership item

- manaring +20% mana recovery rate (wizard classes) 80g

- manastaff +10% max mana (wizard classes) 80g

- cuirass +5% blade,impact,pierce (armor classes) 80g

- ring of defense +5% def on all terrains (armor classes) 80g

- backpack +1 potion storage 40g

- red potion 40g
- blue potion 100g
- cyan potion 25g

some items can be only purchased by armor units, other items only by wizards

also on player death (revivce mode) the creep difficulty is a bit less increased (only +3 turns per players death instead of +5 turns)

so all in all a more player friendly

the update is a must, it is incompatible with the old version

ah well and some other slight changes, darkaura ability is no longer a "negative" leadership, instead its a 10% leadership ability.

work on the new maps progresses slowly, atm im making some units ...
if someone wants to join the party he is welcome. :)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

3.8.1 -
slight bug fix (a unit got messed up)
and while i was on it i also changed the introduction pictures for WIZARDII and Evil Dead Map

red potion cost raised to 50 and the maximum amount that regeneration+X heals was also raised (to a value that will never be reached by a Player)

however, the important thing is that red pot cost now 50 bucks.
for balance with regenX
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, it seems that cantar is well playable on expert with the standard SX RPG ERA (lvl1)

heres my team on EXPERT:
---------------------------
cantarstart_001.png
3 warriors and 2 mages

cavalry is the berserker for the middle
sylphs middle
dwarves go east and west caves for loot

of course it all depends how you design your heroes.

btw, i just mention it with the team, since its going about to have the "best team"
other heroes woudl do as well. and i dont think i woudl use this team on wizardII map ;)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok, 3.8.2 will be out soon.
(unfortuanately add on server is down atm ....)

form my testing on expert difficulty i kinda felt the balance to still in disadvatange for the players a bit, and in order to make better use of their money and to increase the options to chose from i made some slight adjustments:

3.8.2: increased damage of ranged shop weapons by 1, shield and net are cheaper now (with adjusted stats)
the 100 Gold hp option has now a discount of 5 gold, adjusted sling, throwing knives (lost poison), sme other wepaons got adjusted a bit

in essence all ranged shopweapons have now +1 damage, you can save some small bucks when using the +15HP option, net and shield are cheaper (net lost a strike though (and gained some more dam), shield just lost dam))

blablabla - -all this is done to make the game more enjoybale and to prepare the balance to be perfect when the new map comes out ;)

it was abit to hard i admit.
as i found myself also desperately looking for tricks how to save money and incease the damage, when i found out that things got a bit shifted is disadvantage for the players.
(for example: high amror costs more, but nothing was implemented how to compensate this lack A BIT)

while we are it: high armor prices got decreased a bit.
and code adjusted to be able to handle the 5% steps now (which come along with reistsance ring and the cuirass item)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

3.8.3: reduced costs: regeneration+x ability 150 gold (from 200 gold), 2nd strike ability cost now 50 gold (from 250 gold)
stunning shield use cost 120 gold (from 150 gold), red potions cost 40 gold (from 50 gold)

well. i felt that regen+x costed to much, so i changed it to 150 gold (-50)
(with reduced regen cost i could (finally) reduce cost of red pots to 40)
also 2nd strike (which is essential for the rogue) costed to much. changed to 50 (-100)
stunning shield use reduced to 120 (-30)

the "magic" behind the stunning shield reduction is a simple calc.

normal mace 14-3 (30gold) versus hammer of rage 10-3 (100 gold, has rage special)
so if both wepaons are compared and be brought to the following stats:

14-3, rage, slow

the the "mace" buyer has to invest:
30 gold (for mace) + 575 gold (for raged slow) = 605 gold

the hammer of rage buyer has to invest:
100 gold (for hammer) + 120 gold (for stunning shield use) + 275 gold (for slow) + 160 gold (for +4 damage) = 655

before the cost redictin of stun shield use it was 685 which felt a bit too high.

still the "hammer" user will lose 50 gold overall, but can use "rage" ability from start on.
as a downfall the hammer costs 100 gold, which reduces the starting capabilities.

so its ok (for now) i think. before the hammer was a bit underpowered, so i had to reduce the stun shield. theres a chance that stun shield may get reduced even more in the future (to 100 gold perhaps)

3.8.3b:
reduced stun shield to 100 gold :P
meriton

Post by meriton »

I noticed a bothersome slowdown (about 10 seconds) whenever a new side turn starts in SurvivalXAddOnPacks, version 3.8.2.

I suspect this is because the auto save file is a whopping 37 MB before compression.

I have tracked this down to SXShop.cfg, lines 6751-6775, which read:

{SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_M 0}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_M 1}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_M 2}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_M 3}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_M 4}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_M 5}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_M 6}

[option]
[show_if]
{SXCON caster_$side_number equals 1}
[/show_if]
        message= _ {MENU_IMG_TXT "misc/check.png" "<span color='#14c8fa' weight='bold'>Ranged (Done)</span>"}
	 [command]
         {VARIABLE finished_sub yes}
        [/command]
       [/option]

{SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_R 0}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_R 1}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_R 2}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_R 3}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_R 4}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_R 5}
            {SX_SHOP_SPECIALS_SET_R 6}
The preprocessor expands each usage of these macros to 650 KB WML. Since there are 14 uses, that is about 9 MB. Since the shop macro is written into the save file 3 times (in [menu_item], [replay-start] and [snapshot]), that ends up taking 27 MB in the save file.

SX_SHOP_SPECIALS is so big because each of the 7 [option] uses UNLUCKIFY_UNIT, which expands to 90 KB WML each time ...

I have solved this by turning UNLUCKIFY_UNIT into an event, passing the unit to be unluckified as [primary_unit]. Now, the (uncompressed) save games are a mere 6 MB, and created a lot quicker.
Attachments
SX refactoring.zip
old and new version of modified macros
(52.87 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

well, i will take a look at it, and if its working good this is of courser utter greatnage.
thx a ton :)

it will be implemented in the next version 3.8.3c
(which will be out this evening - since i still have some slight balance changes to make.)