Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Terrain: Sandcastles

Post by Eleazar »

Thanks,
committed.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Terrain: Sandcastles

Post by doofus-01 »

Here are winter cities.
snow-cities-shot3.png
snow-cities-shot3.png (158.41 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
winter-cities.tgz
(87.49 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
When I was drawing that cluster of villages with the map editor, I got some warnings.

Code: Select all

warning display: terrain/village/human-city-tile.png overlay is RLE-encoded, creating a neutral surface
warning display: terrain/village/snow-tile.png overlay is RLE-encoded, creating a neutral surface
warning display: terrain/village/elven-snow-tile.png overlay is RLE-encoded, creating a neutral surface
warning display: terrain/village/orc-snow-tile.png overlay is RLE-encoded, creating a neutral surface
warning display: terrain/village/log-cabin-snow-tile.png overlay is RLE-encoded, creating a neutral surface
warning display: terrain/village/hut-snow-tile.png overlay is RLE-encoded, creating a neutral surface
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Eleazar

Re: Terrain

Post by Eleazar »

Good
Committed.

I like the style of #2 and #4 better with part of the roof showing through. If not that i'd at least like to see some shading on the snow that demonstrates it's laying on the bumpy surface of big tiles.

As for the errors, i don't know what they mean. Everything seems to work right.

EDIT: don't worry about those editors, alink fixed them in trunk.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I added some structure to those two "roof snow". I don't know how convincing the cone one is, I'm having a hard time visualizing it as anything other than smooth.
Attachments
human-city.png
human-city.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
human-city3.png
human-city3.png (7.42 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Drumbeat

Post by Drumbeat »

The pitch (steepness) of the cone roof might not provide enough traction for snow to stick perfectly. You might end up with voids where snow has broken free and slid to the ground. A pile of snow at the base of the wall would fit. It sort of begs for an animation... :D
Great work!
Kraus

Post by Kraus »

Drumbeat wrote:The pitch (steepness) of the cone roof might not provide enough traction for snow to stick perfectly. You might end up with voids where snow has broken free and slid to the ground. A pile of snow at the base of the wall would fit. It sort of begs for an animation... :D
Great work!
Well, that is the pitch generally seen in houses here in Finland, and snow does sit there until spring - which is usually those 5 months of winter. :) If Wesnoth has a warmer climate, this could be debatable, but it's not a given that that kind of a roof won't hold snow.

Anyways, very good looking.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks.

I was working snow drifts, but I think as 1 hex embellishments, they are not really going anywhere. I like the idea of multi-hex better, but that may not be wanted. Here is a screenshot, the old ones are just colour shifted to match the current snow.
snow-drifts1.png
snow-drifts1.png (204.26 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
What could be useful as 1 hex embellishments (or scenery images) are rocks for snow, temperate, and sand terrains. The current rocks don't look so good, so I'm trying to make them look more like the monoliths. They are not really done, but I'll post them anyway.
Attachments
rock3.png
rock3.png (4.69 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
rock2.png
rock2.png (5.48 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
rock1.png
rock1.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

doofus-01 wrote:I added some structure to those two "roof snow". I don't know how convincing the cone one is, I'm having a hard time visualizing it as anything other than smooth.
Commited the first one.

On the cone roof, the new highlights imply that the shingles are backwards, i.e. that the top ends of the shingles go on top of the next higher row, which wouldn't work as a rain-shed.

Big rocks look much better.
But remember, we're moving away from pure grey as the default color of stone

As for the snow drifts, i'm not sure what the best course is.
Attachments
stones-small7.png
stones-small7.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
wall-hewn-tile.png
wall-hewn-tile.png (12.01 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Here are four rocks (with more saturation). If they are OK, I'll do snowy versions. Some of the contrast is not consistent, and while that was not intentional, it may be fine because a rock sitting in a swamp would not look like a rock sitting in a dry field.
rocks.tgz
(21.22 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
_Rocks-shot1.png
_Rocks-shot1.png (527.27 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
Eleazar wrote:As for the snow drifts, i'm not sure what the best course is.
OK, then I'll just go ahead with bigger drifts and if they end up as UMC only, they end up as UMC only.

Is the stone bridge finalized? Would it make sense to put snow on that?
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

doofus-01 wrote:OK, then I'll just go ahead with bigger drifts and if they end up as UMC only, they end up as UMC only.
I will use them! Chalk one up for UMC. :mrgreen:
*regains composure* Oh yeah, looking at rock2, I can't seem to shake the feeling that it is composed of petrified bacon. :hmm:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Mountain_King wrote:*regains composure* Oh yeah, looking at rock2, I can't seem to shake the feeling that it is composed of petrified bacon.
Looks like hefen to me ;)

These all look great, doofus! And, as I've said before many times, it's nice to see you still at this.
As well as having free-standing boulders, maybe we could have some that are sunk into the ground a little (maybe with lichen and small trees growing on them, as well)? Sort of like those huge glacial erratics you find in forests……
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

doofus-01 wrote:Here are four rocks (with more saturation). If they are OK, I'll do snowy versions. Some of the contrast is not consistent, and while that was not intentional, it may be fine because a rock sitting in a swamp would not look like a rock sitting in a dry field.

Is the stone bridge finalized? Would it make sense to put snow on that?
The basic idea is good but these were done too much like unit pixel art. I.E. the outlining is too strong, contrast too high, seems to have an unnaturally limited palette, and has a too strongly emphasized edge underneath.

Don't use the old human castle as a rendering guide. Probably even better than the previous example files would be to look to the chasm for color and style. There's very little (if any) black in that.

Attached is a quick example of the direction these should go.
standing stones.jpg
standing stones.jpg (86.28 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
The bridges are final. you could put snow on the railing, but if there was snow on the walking surface, i would expect only small bits, or some left right next to the railing. We don't want it to look like it aliases to frozen.
Attempting Lucidity
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

A quick suggestion if I may : the idea of rocks is good, but currently they don't blend in nicely, even with their shadow. I think this is because for each, you only drew one large rock that stands alone. They're missing smaller stones or pebbles lying around the core element, of which they would have been detached by erosion, frost or human activity.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob wrote:They're missing smaller stones or pebbles lying around the core element, of which they would have been detached by erosion, frost or human activity.
Makes sense. Thanks.
Eleazar wrote:Don't use the old human castle as a rendering guide. Probably even better than the previous example files would be to look to the chasm for color and style. There's very little (if any) black in that.
A picture is worth a thousand words, so I wish I'd remembered to bring the screenshot with me, but I still want to point out that making them low-contrast and brown will make them not match the monoliths or rock-cairn (in scenery folder, I think).
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

doofus wrote:
Eleazar wrote:Don't use the old human castle as a rendering guide. Probably even better than the previous example files would be to look to the chasm for color and style. There's very little (if any) black in that.
A picture is worth a thousand words, so I wish I'd remembered to bring the screenshot with me, but I still want to point out that making them low-contrast and brown will make them not match the monoliths or rock-cairn (in scenery folder, I think).
I increased the brown-ness of the of the monoliths and other stone scenery yesterday. Possibly they need to go browner.

As far as contrast and strength of outline the monoliths are also a good rendering example. Currently changing your rocks in the direction i described would increase the resemblance to the monoliths-- not that that's really the priority.
Attempting Lucidity