Written in Blood campaign thread

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revenant

Re: Written in Blood campaign thread

Post by revenant »

This is a great campaign, very original. My only gripe is that some of the maps are rather basic and that makes for a less enjoyable gameplay. Great job.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

revenant wrote:This is a great campaign, very original. My only gripe is that some of the maps are rather basic and that makes for a less enjoyable gameplay. Great job.
Indeed, but better maps will come with the updated dialogue, after all the scenarios are complete. :wink:
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
marvalis

Post by marvalis »

Difficulty level:
normal

Scenario 1:

Introduction text.
Skirmishers? This term might be confusing as skirmishers are a specific unit or unit ability in wesnoth. Maybe change it to footfolk or a simular word.

First replay: Went to the north west to kill some orcs. Trolls from the south killed sir gwydoc who was standing in the water. Result: loss.
Suggestions: The ai is stupid. Remove the water.

Second replay: Glacyn died by the trolls and then the wolf riders.
Suggestion: Add more hp, 35 is not very great without good defensive bonusses.

Third replay: I went south west to defend there then killed the eastern trolls and still had to reload because off a lvl 3 troll from the north.
Suggestion: I don't think this can be avoided.

Second scenario:

First replay: Again you don't get to recruit. Go find the ruins, but where? So I go south-west. There my heroes are overwhelmed by orc jumping out of the dark shroud. There is no way to predict this amount. Result: death. Reloading to turn one gave the following error: unexpected characters after variable name (expected , or =), value '.' at <unknown>:4614
Suggestions: A team of 4 heroes is not supposed to fight ~8 orcs and expect not to loose a single unit. Add a normal unit to use as a buffer then retreating from this unexpected event.

Second replay: I let the horse go first to see it get slaughtered and i saw the castle. Tried to make a defensive stand on the hills/forest with the town but one of my heroes died. Result: defeat.

Third replay: I managed to sneak by the wave of orcs by using the ai horse as a distraction. I found the enemy leader but was overwhelmed by his retreating forces. Am I supposed to fight these?

Fourth replay: Now that i know what enemy im facing, where they come from and where the leaders are, I can defeat the second leader at turn 25. (replay in attachment)

Third scenario:
First replay (attached): The ai is really stupid. He only recruits a few red mages, leaving me to be slaughtered.
Attachments
WIB-Alduin_replay.gz
(14.73 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
WIB-Blackwater_Port_replay.gz
(16.95 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
WIB-Council_replay_forum.gz
(14.03 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

marvalis wrote:Difficulty level:
normal

Scenario 1:

Introduction text.
Skirmishers? This term might be confusing as skirmishers are a specific unit or unit ability in wesnoth. Maybe change it to footfolk or a simular word.

First replay: Went to the north west to kill some orcs. Trolls from the south killed sir gwydoc who was standing in the water. Result: loss.
Suggestions: The ai is stupid. Remove the water.
Thing to do: Add some intelligence to the ai.

Second replay: Glacyn died by the trolls and then the wolf riders.
Suggestion: Add more hp, 35 is not very great without good defensive bonusses.
He is an archer, he is supposed to have less HP.

Third replay: I went south west to defend there then killed the eastern trolls and still had to reload because off a lvl 3 troll from the north.
Suggestion: I don't think this can be avoided.
Never happened to me.

Second scenario:

First replay: Again you don't get to recruit. Go find the ruins, but where? So I go south-west. There my heroes are overwhelmed by orc jumping out of the dark shroud. There is no way to predict this amount. Result: death. Reloading to turn one gave the following error: unexpected characters after variable name (expected , or =), value '.' at <unknown>:4614
Suggestions: A team of 4 heroes is not supposed to fight ~8 orcs and expect not to loose a single unit. Add a normal unit to use as a buffer then retreating from this unexpected event.

Second replay: I let the horse go first to see it get slaughtered and i saw the castle. Tried to make a defensive stand on the hills/forest with the town but one of my heroes died. Result: defeat.

Third replay: I managed to sneak by the wave of orcs by using the ai horse as a distraction. I found the enemy leader but was overwhelmed by his retreating forces. Am I supposed to fight these?

Fourth replay: Now that i know what enemy im facing, where they come from and where the leaders are, I can defeat the second leader at turn 25. (replay in attachment)
I did it in 1 try by defending the town, and not the forest. This way, you won't allow them to recruit additional units.

Third scenario:
First replay (attached): The ai is really stupid. He only recruits a few red mages, leaving me to be slaughtered.
Another thing to do.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
marvalis

Post by marvalis »

He's an archer, so give him 70% forest defense?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

marvalis wrote:He's an archer, so give him 70% forest defense?
He's a human, so don't?
PhotonX

Post by PhotonX »

A great campaign, I like non-recruiting. :) Is it intended that allied teams don't occupy villages (or maybe they do but there are no flags)?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

PhotonX wrote:A great campaign, I like non-recruiting. :) Is it intended that allied teams don't occupy villages (or maybe they do but there are no flags)?
What do you mean with that?
PhotonX

Post by PhotonX »

Well, in most scenarios allied teams occupy villages but the occupied villages still have no flags...

Also I've observed a little bug in the Camp scenario: The opponent units have different attacks depending on with which unit they are attacked (sometimes they have 4 hits, sometimes 3).
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

PhotonX wrote:Well, in most scenarios allied teams occupy villages but the occupied villages still have no flags...

Also I've observed a little bug in the Camp scenario: The opponent units have different attacks depending on with which unit they are attacked (sometimes they have 4 hits, sometimes 3).
1 of their attacks is a normal knife, which has 4 strikes, and the other is a poison knife, which has 3 strikes. ;)
PhotonX

Post by PhotonX »

Ah, I see. :) And what about the village flags?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

PhotonX wrote:Ah, I see. :) And what about the village flags?
You mean, they are on the village hexes? Aren't they encampments (tents)?
PhotonX

Post by PhotonX »

Nope, they're on villages
Attachments
wesnoth.png
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I played the campaign to the scenario Unexpected Allies. I stopped just after Unexpected Allies because big maps are not fun.
Appart from the big map problem in almost all the scenarios I played, there's the flag problem, as shown in the previous posts : the flag of some sides (mostly allies but also the undead ennemy in Crossfire) is not displayed on the villages they captured (but the villages are considered captured by the engine). Maybe the paths for the unshown flags in your cfg files are incorrect.
Also in the scenario Elensefar, it is possible to kill all the orcs before the end of the scenario (I played in easy and I killed the orc leader on turn 12 or 13, and all orcs were killed after the turn 18). In this case, the scenario should be ended before the end of the turn 24 (when you kill the ennemi leader or when you kill all the orcs).
For the global impression, the lack of dialog and texts between scenarios is the main problem of the campaign, followed by the huge maps. On the positive sides, the fact that we don't recruit is interesting to the gameplay, with the modified time of day (1 turn = 1 hour).
tubaman

Post by tubaman »

i am playing the battle of tork right now.

the waves knight and lancer charges with infantry and mage support are ridiculous. Especially during/after the first wave appears on the right, and not just the left. Perhaps, either using lower level units, less units, or more terrain that is unfriendly to horsemen (trees/water). I have gotten tired of my champion being attacked by 2 lancers, a night, outlaw, and spear man before dying. Another possibility would be to recruit units in this mission (like the elensefar mission).

Other than that, i am really liking the campaign!

PS-the mission where you are attacked by the thief (village attack) is horribly unbalanced towards the human. Black attacks the sedimentary green units as I sent my entire army north and assassinated the leader in short order while most of his army remained intact.