Japanese translation help offer

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MeesterDaan

Re: Japanese translation help offer

Post by MeesterDaan »

Thanks Iwaim, but the effort made by Skizzaltix is one I couldn't make. And please note that because many of us are just fanatical Gaijins, our ability will always be limited.

Nontheless, fanaticism makes up for a lot :-)

I suggest we wait a little while to see if Skizzaltix agrees with turning his translation into a wiki page. After all, he's laid the ground work.

Daan
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

iwaim wrote:I was able to contact current Japanese traslation maintainer. I decided to consult with him, and to alternate mantainer.
iwaim wrote:Japanese translation project exists separately. I want to cooperate with them.
http://yy68.60.kg/wesplus/

I will negotiate with them.
These are great jobs, iwaim. Thank you! At a year ago, I had the same problem that Skizzaltix and ancestral had. (hi, Skizzaltix :smile: remember me?)
It seems you can discuss about Japanese Translations in Japanese on this forum. (see other languages)
You may be able to get different ideas here.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Hello, everybody.
I'm a Japanese, translating some campaigns with iwaim-san from this April. My English is less fluent than my jokes. So please give me a hand.
Now I'm fixing Legend of Wesmere translation. I'd like to make sure these sentences.

The Uprooting:
>>Swords will aid us more than songs, Kalenz; you saw that before I.
Q1.What does "you saw that before I" mean?

Revelations:
>>Some scary fellow this Aquagar thinks he is!
I think this sentence is as same as "this Aquagar thinks he is some scary fellow."
I think "he" refers to Aquagar. So it means Aquagar thinks Aquagar himself is some scary fellow.
Maybe Olurf isn't sure the man's name is Aquagar, and Olurf thinks "Aquagar isn't scary at all."
Q2.Correct?

Human Alliance:
>>This is only a pause in their onslaught. Reform, men, and bind your wounds as you may. They'll be back.
Q3.In this case, does "as you may" equal "as you can?"

The Chief must die:
>>This feels passing strange! Landar, remember to stay far from the wolves-they may be able to smell us.
Q4.Does "passing strange" mean "something strange is going down to my stomach" or "something strange is going inside all over my body" or "I felt something strange for a moment?"

Elvish Assassins:
>>Do not listen to this traitor! You have all heard the order!
These are Elvish Captain's words. So I think this "you" refers to "his men" and "you have all heard the order!" means "boys, either Landar or I said `kill Kalenz`, do you still remember, don't you?"
Q5.Correct?

Epilogue:
>>Cleodil died after the manner of Elves, aging swiftly to a peaceful end.
Cleodil died in 251YW. She looked young almost 251YW and she looked old in 251YW and died peacefully.
Ordinary elves are as same as Cleodil when they die natural deaths.
Q6.Correct?

>>Sundered from his kin by their mortality,
Kalenz's life was extended, but his familys' were not. The meaning is sundered by their lifetime.
Q7.Correct?

Thank you for reading.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Let me try to explain for you :eng:
Clearpotion wrote: The Uprooting:
>>Swords will aid us more than songs, Kalenz; you saw that before I.
Q1.What does "you saw that before I" mean?
'you understood that before I did'. 'Saw' in this case means something like 'understand', 'perceive', 'feel' etc.
Clearpotion wrote: Revelations:
>>Some scary fellow this Aquagar thinks he is!
I think this sentence is as same as "this Aquagar thinks he is some scary fellow."
I think "he" refers to Aquagar. So it means Aquagar thinks Aquagar himself is some scary fellow.
Maybe Olurf isn't sure the man's name is Aquagar, and Olurf thinks "Aquagar isn't scary at all."
Q2.Correct?
Aquagar thinks that Aquagar himself is scary. It's a very colloquial way of saying it.
Clearpotion wrote: Human Alliance:
>>This is only a pause in their onslaught. Reform, men, and bind your wounds as you may. They'll be back.
Q3.In this case, does "as you may" equal "as you can?"
Yes.
Clearpotion wrote: The Chief must die:
>>This feels passing strange! Landar, remember to stay far from the wolves-they may be able to smell us.
Q4.Does "passing strange" mean "something strange is going down to my stomach" or "something strange is going inside all over my body" or "I felt something strange for a moment?"
My dictionary tells me it's an archaic term for 'very', 'great' or 'surpassing'.
Clearpotion wrote: Elvish Assassins:
>>Do not listen to this traitor! You have all heard the order!
These are Elvish Captain's words. So I think this "you" refers to "his men" and "you have all heard the order!" means "boys, either Landar or I said `kill Kalenz`, do you still remember, don't you?"
Q5.Correct?
'You (Oblil's men) have all heard the order (to kill Kalenz)'. And it is meant as a reminder, although I wouldn't turn it into a rhetorical question, if that's possible.
Spoiler:
Clearpotion wrote:
Epilogue:
>>Cleodil died after the manner of Elves, aging swiftly to a peaceful end.
Cleodil died in 251YW. She looked young almost 251YW and she looked old in 251YW and died peacefully.
Ordinary elves are as same as Cleodil when they die natural deaths.
Q6.Correct?
All elves die like Cleodil, except Kalenz, rapid ageing included.
Clearpotion wrote: >>Sundered from his kin by their mortality,
Kalenz's life was extended, but his familys' were not. The meaning is sundered by their lifetime.
Q7.Correct?
If I understand you correctly, what you say is correct. If not, it means Kalenz was separated (or broken away) from his family because of their deaths.
Spoiler:
esr is the best person to ask about these things, since he revises all the prose (he is the Prose Lord after all :P)
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Hello, Deusite,
Thank you for your reply. And your spoilers are welcome.
Deusite wrote: 'you understood that before I did'. 'Saw' in this case means something like 'understand', 'perceive', 'feel' etc.
I see. "Did" is left out.
Spoiler:
It is fixed. In my Japanese translation, its literal meaning is "you understood that before I drew the sword."
In the Japanese language expression, "draw the sword" means "(decide) to do the sword fight."
Sometimes a samurai says, "draw the sword!" in a duel in a movie or manga. I think it is suitable for this situation.
Deusite wrote: Aquagar thinks that Aquagar himself is scary. It's a very colloquial way of saying it.
OK, I understand the meaning.
Well... I mean, to translate the sentence into Japanese, it needs Olurf's feeling.
Because there are some ways of saying by the speaker's feeling or behavior.
Your answer seems it's not particular about his feeling or behavior, so maybe it's up to the translator, me.
In my translation, Olurf feels ridiculous and looking down on Aquagar.
Deusite wrote: My dictionary tells me it's an archaic term for 'very', 'great' or 'surpassing'.
OK. Fixed.

Q5-7
OK. I think these translations are enough. I keep them unchanged.

Thank you.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Err, I'm not sure if the subject has moved on from where I left the translation all those years ago by now, but yes, it's GPL, do whatever you want with it--if someone wanted to make it into a wiki page, of course they should go ahead. I would pitch in and help, but unfortunately, I'm busy with school for a few more weeks (chemistry bootcamp! Fun fun fun), then gone for a week or two, and then god knows what I'll be doing when I get back, so chances of my returning to this with any meaningful amount of time to spend in the foreseeable future are slim, to say the least.

@Clearpotion: thank you very much for doing this! I think a Japanese speaker translating to Japanese from English, rather than an English speaker translating from English to Japanese, will result in a much better end product. I would thank you properly in Japanese, but, if I remember correctly, these forums are English-only.
Please, keep going! I can help clarify the stranger English terms, as well, provided Deusite doesn't beat me to it.

(edit: yes, that sounds right for Olurf's feeling. As I understand it, he sees that Augurgur thinks that Augurgur himself is scary, but Olurf doesn't think so, and thinks that Augurgur is silly because of it.)
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Skizzaltix wrote: (edit: yes, that sounds right for Olurf's feeling. As I understand it, he sees that Augurgur thinks that Augurgur himself is scary, but Olurf doesn't think so, and thinks that Augurgur is silly because of it.)
Yes. That's it. Thank you, Skizzaltix. My new .po file is on the server now. I hope BfW 1.8.4 comes soon. I will improve it next time.
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Hi, I have more questions, please.

* The Sceptre of Fire

The land of Wesnoth's banner bold
Comes not from its own land;

Q1. What does "banner bold" mean? And what kind of speech are they?

* Northern Rebirth

When Father Morvin is dead, sometimes this event happens.

Father Morvin: The forces of good can never be defeated by the likes of you!
Sister Thera: Yeah, try taking a bath and you MIGHT be able to kill him for good *wink wink*. But for the time being, abracadabra!
Father Morvin: I heard that, Thera.
Sister Thera: Hey, just trying to give him an incentive to drown himself.

Q2. In this case, does "for good" mean "for virtue" or forever?

* Delfador's Memoirs

I am Delfador. Friends, a great evil has been unleashed. A portal has been opened to the land of the dead near the northernmost extent of these hills, nearly under the eaves of Lintanir Forest. I must close it, or else we are all doomed.

Q3. What does "eaves" mean?

---
BfW is a dangerous game. It is like the Ruby of Fire.
Play it wisely, or you'll turn into something like Haldric I.

Clearpotion 2010 AD
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Clearpotion wrote:Hi, I have more questions, please.

Q1. What does "banner bold" mean? And what kind of speech are they?
It really means "Wesnoth's bold banner." Almost always in English the adjective precedes the noun, like in Japanese, but in this case, having it after makes it sound "old" and also allows this to rhyme well. (Reminds me of Monty Python: "Who would cross the bridge of death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-J ... re=related )

Since this is a poem, maybe try to make a translation that rhymes too. Notice how it rhymes:

bold-land-old-hand
came-great-same-relate
Clearpotion wrote:Q2. In this case, does "for good" mean "for virtue" or forever?
Forever.

Father Morvin dies but Thera says it's not permanent. (Still, I could see how this would be very confusing, as the first sentence with "of good" means virtuous or holy.)
Clearpotion wrote:Q3. What does "eaves" mean?
Literally it means the overhang of a roof, the part that sticks out, kind of like an awning. It is used here figuratively, meaning it's nearly on the edge of the forest, it's almost right under or next to the Lintanir Forest.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Thank you for your replying, ancestral.
ancestral wrote: It really means "Wesnoth's bold banner."
I kind of understand. Grammar and rhymes are OK. But I still do not understand what banner means.
In this case, does banner mean flag? If so, the poem means "humans couldn't make the flag, so they had a dwarf make it." That's odd.
Or, does banner mean "token of the king" or something?
ancestral wrote: Forever.
Father Morvin dies but Thera says it's not permanent. (Still, I could see how this would be very confusing, as the first sentence with "of good" means virtuous or holy.)
I see. So the sentence means "yeah, try taking a bath and you(murderer, not Morvin) MIGHT be able to kill him(Morvin, not the murderer) forever."
Yes, the phrase "of good" really made me confused.
...maybe she likes a DOZAEMON(drowned body), not Doraemon. (Sorry, a silly Japanese pun)

And I understand what eaves means. Thank you.

---
Translate carefully, or you'll turn into something like Haldric I.

Clearpotion 2010 AD
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

As I understand it, the banner does refer to the flag--but it does seem a little odd that humans couldn't make it. I can't remember the context of the campaign, but maybe the flag itself is magical, and only the dwarves were capable of that kind of enchantment?
正しく分かっていれば「banner」旗の事です。でも、人間達は旗が自分で作れないってのはちょっと変ですね。物語はよく覚えていませんけどもしかして旗はドワーフしか作れない魔法が付いていますかな?

I'm afraid it's been too long since I watched Doraemon for me to understand the pun……shame on me, shame.
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Hi, Skizzaltix, the poem is below.
The land of Wesnoth's banner bold
Comes not from its own land;
It comes from Dwarfdom, grim and old"
Made by a runesmith's hand.
So now I tell from whence it came -
The Fire-sceptre great -
And of the makers of the same,
Their tale I now relate...
I think only the Ruby of Fire has magic, and only dwarves can be capable of it.
Maybe the banner refers to the Sceptre of Fire.
The context of the campaign is Haldric II asks dwarves to make the Sceptre of Fire with his Ruby of Fire.
Is the Sceptre of Fire a banner? Or, is it a metaphor?

In Northern Rebirth, Thera likes something dramatic. Probably, drown oneself is the most dramatic thing for her.
Her odd character is the opposite of the firebug-like-mage Camerin's. And the pun means...
Spoiler:
And more...
Spoiler:
---
Debug the program swiftly, or you'll turn into something like Haldric I.

Clearpotion 2010 AD
Last edited by Clearpotion on August 28th, 2010, 7:38 am, edited 9 times in total.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Banner indeed means roughly the same as 'flag', but in this case it's used in the sense of 'symbol' or 'weapon' (the heraldric type). So it indeed refers to the sceptre of fire.
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

It's hard to translate a poem. I translated "the banner" into the Japanese meaning of "the artifact of the king."
Now I can say sayonara to 1.8 branch.
Thank you, ancestral, Skizzaltix and AI.

---
Respect the contributors in pure heart, or you'll turn into something like Haldric I.

Clearpotion 2010 AD
Clearpotion

Post by Clearpotion »

Hi, everybody. Please give me a hand.

*Heir to the Throne

>>Sir, I should like to scout out the path ahead. It would be disaster for us to find these doors sealed, leaving us as hunting fodder for the gathering horde.

I partly understand. These sentences mean "I would like to see the path ahead, because if we notice the dwarven doors are sealed, we will get big damage."
And "horde" must refer to orcish army. But every "leave", "hunt" and "fodder" has several meanings. 
What does "leaving us as hunting fodder for the gathering horde" mean?

*Legend of Wesmere

>>But I will not compel anyone else to come with me, not at peril of being overwhelmed from within by evil magic.

I can't translate well. Please fill in the blank below.

But I will not compel anyone else to come with me. (___) not at peril of being overwhelmed from within by evil magic.

>>Sundered from his kin by their mortality, fleeing the reflections in their eyes of his lost beloved, he left his home and wandered for many a year across the Great Continent.

Is "for many a year" proper English? How long is it? And how often?