Give these Units a Chance

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Give these Units a Chance

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I don't know if this was discussed earlier, but I think this unit-line should get an enhancement in stats:

Sergeant--->Lieutenant--->General--->Grand Marshal
*These should get an increase in HP.

My reasons:

1. I was playing a multiplayer game in Age of Heroes era and the General as my leader. It was a 4v4 (Loyalist vs Northerners).
At some point, I used my leader to attack an Orcish Warrior using the range attack (it was night time, so it didn't deal much damage). On the warrior's turn, he deal 36 damage (A full 12-3) and dropped my HP to 14. That was when I realized that the General was just too weak for an lvl 3 unit. The same thing goes for the Sergeant and Lieutenant (in their respective levels).

2.The Grand Marshal is perhaps the weakest lvl 4 unit in Wesnothian history. The Royal Guard has more Hp that this guy as well as melee damage.

My Suggested Stats:

Sergeant:
HP-34
Melee 6-3

Lieutenant
HP-45
Melee 7-4

General
HP-58
Melee 9-4

Grand Marshal
HP-70
Melee 11-4
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Give these Units a Chance

Post by thespaceinvader »

LEADERSHIP. These units are not intended to be front-line fighters. They are support units which can also fight. The balance is good already, if you're using your leader in a tactically iffy way, that's your lookout. Don't attack orcish warriors with him at night, for instance. The risk isn't worth the reward.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

IIRC the Sergeant line used to have more HP around 1.2 or so. I got nerfed afterwards probably because it was unbalanced.

Edit: Hm, seem to be my memory failing me, I couldn't find it in the changelogs...

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
norbert

Post by norbert »

HomerJ wrote:IIRC the Sergeant line used to have more HP [...] Edit: Hm, seem to be my memory failing me, I couldn't find it in the changelogs...
Not sure if it's what you mean, but the full changelog mentions "new units [...] Sergeant" added to version 0.7.9, and both the full and the players' changelog contain "Decreased the HP of the Sergeant from 36 to 32." for version 1.5.7.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

norbert wrote: "Decreased the HP of the Sergeant from 36 to 32." for version 1.5.7.
:shock: 1.5.7? I didn't look this far... :oops:

Ok but at least no damage to brain.exe ...
Full changelog wrote: Decreased the cost of the Sergeant from 20 to 19.
* Decreased the HP of the Sergeant from 36 to 32.
* Decreased the HP of the Lieutenant from 48 to 40.
* Decreased the melee attack of the Lieutenant from 9-3 to 8-3.
* Decreased the HP of the General from 58 to 50.
* Decreased the HP of the Grand Marshal from 68 to 60.
This is what I was talking about, thanks norbert.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I have the feeling that the reward for taking such a lot of experience to level is too few too. The unit has the sole purpose of leadership and isn't useful for anything else. Compare with the elvish marshal, he's at level 3 as strong as the Grand Marshal but takes much less xp to level. What mustn't be forgotten is that General and Grand Marshal have some resistances, though, this comes down to having some more hitpoints against that damage types.
But compare with Delfador in DM who has leadership level 4 + 16-4 Grand Mage ranged attack.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Delfador in DM was defiantly never intended to be balanced by normal standards.

Lieutenants were nerfed because they were simply too good a leader unit for multiplayer. I think the rest were nerfed to be consistent. I do not think this is a problem because the line is still a mobile leader line that can get up to level 4. Elvish marshals may be almost as good a combatant as grand marshals however, they are slower and do not get level 4 leadership and that makes a huge difference.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Could we at least un-nerf Tallin in Northern Rebirth?
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I've never had any trouble keeping him alive...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

thespaceinvader wrote:I've never had any trouble keeping him alive...
For the record, neither have I (although I tend to keep my leader in any game of Wesnoth on a keep 90% of the time, so...). :whistle:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Joining the choir.

The sergeant line combat skills and survivability are purposedly low, to make up for its awesome combination of good movement and leadership ability.
This line used to be more potent in the fighting field, but at some point, in the competitive multiplayer microcosm, it became obvious that the Lieutenant was a good step above the other leaders you could get for the loyalists faction (and I would personnally dare to say it remains the most useful leader you could pick for that faction, despite the nerf), and that it needed a nerf.

I don't remember exactly how the decision was taken, but as far as I know another option was being considered : to decrease the unit's mobility. For flavour purposes, it was decided to keep the 6mp, making the high mobility on flat the special feat of the lieutenant over the other leader-like units : the elvish captain & the drake flare.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

From the singleplayer point of view the sergeant line is a bit too weak. You know that when playing Eastern Invasion, Mal Ravanal's capital especially. My subjective opinion however.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

I agree that they do seem rather weak as far as hitpoints are concerned. Which is probably why I like using the swordsman unit.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

A Guy wrote:Could we at least un-nerf Tallin in Northern Rebirth?
No. The whole point of that campaign is that you must be masochist to play it.

:P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

42... goblin knights... 42... *shudders*
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.