Movies discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: What is everyone's favorite movie at the moment?

Post by Gambit »

Jetrel wrote: Edit: Fridge logic. Censoring d i c k by replacing it with ass doesn't make a whit of sense, since they're considered equally offensive. What gives? :augh:
Does this forum software keep filtering the posts until they're acceptable? If so, perhaps that was like macros or functions. You only have to change the end word in one place.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I saw Inception at a drive-in last Saturday. It was well worth the admission and I may even get it on DVD when it comes out. However, the only thing that bugged me was I noticed some inconsistencies in the rules they established, for example the rules about "kicking" out of dreams. If you're going to make people keep track of an elaborate rule system just to understand the plot, then you should IMO at least be consistent about it. I won't give anything away to avoid revealing plot details, though. I highly recommend seeing it for yourself, if you consider yourself someone who appreciates science fiction in the slightest. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Sapient wrote:I saw Inception at a drive-in last Saturday. It was well worth the admission and I may even get it on DVD when it comes out. However, the only thing that bugged me was I noticed some inconsistencies in the rules they established, for example the rules about "kicking" out of dreams. If you're going to make people keep track of an elaborate rule system just to understand the plot, then you should IMO at least be consistent about it. I won't give anything away to avoid revealing plot details, though. I highly recommend seeing it for yourself, if you consider yourself someone who appreciates science fiction in the slightest. ;)
Wait a second... what do you mean by that...there are still drive-ins?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

HomerJ wrote:Wait a second... what do you mean by that...there are still drive-ins?
There is one here in the metro Salt Lake City area that I know of. It has 8 or 10 screens and has a lot of volume on summer weekends. Not sure about other times. I think they are still around in part because you get to see 2 movies. They play one after the other.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The idea of a drive-in cracks me up. Then don't even bother to build a theater, but make you watch the movie in the fricking parking lot.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I'm guessing they're just up for the nostalgia? Same as Automats.

But the concept of watching a movie in a car is pretty cool. That way, you can lean back, talk, make out, keep stuff in the backseat, etc.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Because you guys are a smart crowd, I was hoping to discuss Inception with you. I was thinking of starting a thread "Inception (spoilers)", but I guess the discussion really belongs here, even if it isn't everyone's favorite movie. I'll use spoiler tags.

MAJOR SPOILERS below.
Spoiler:
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Bubba Ho-tep

:mrgreen:
Trash at it's best but still I can appreciate the fine tone and humour.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Maiklas: I think that maybe Mal thrashed the room to make it LOOK like it was a struggle, to further add proof to her claim that Cobb is trying to kill her. They were pretty high up, so witnesses probably didn't have an excellent view. Cobb was trying to reach her anyway, so it might look like it.

If the top DOES get all screwy because of its past ownership, that might explain the hole at the end where Cobb could simply realize he was dreaming because it didn't stop. He has to see it eventually right? Eventually it's going to keep spinning past the normal time.

EDIT: I also think it's both. Any inconsistency can easily make sense just by adding "this part was a dream" Noland probably knew that there obviously would be holes and therefore found a way to cover any mistakes.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Replying to Hulavuta about Inception...
Spoiler:
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Well, Cobb could have always "pushed" her REALLY far? (It wasn't that far, IMO. I don't remember the movie exactly, so I could be wrong.)

With everything being in a dream....that's kind of crazy, IMO.

About the suitcases, they said it was developed by the military, correct? They made it so the soldiers could shoot and beat the crap out of each other and not actually die. It DOES seem kind of realistic that the military would be able to do such a thing. After all, they did make nuclear bombs...
~Sierra
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

My favourite movies right now are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Back to the Future (I always watch the entire trilogy back to back so I consider it one movie), and I have extremely fond memories of several other movies, but I'd have to watch them again to be sure.

Man but Inception sounds amazing, I'll have to watch it as soon as it's out on Blu-Ray.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Has anyone seen Little Miss Sunshine? (Have I mentioned that before?)
~Sierra
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a fantastic movie, has anyone seen it?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moribund wrote:Man but Inception sounds amazing, I'll have to watch it as soon as it's out on Blu-Ray.
From all I've heard, I should probably prepare for one of those mind-boggling moments, but I guess I'll try to watch it on the theater if my time permits.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.