Wesnoth 1.9.0

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugucloud

Re: Wesnoth 1.9.0

Post by Dugucloud »

Dead Water, a new mission for our translators.
Mi povas paroli Esperanton.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

JAY!!! More work to do.... :augh:
:lol2:
R.I.P
loonixxx

Post by loonixxx »

Sorry my first post around here is a newbie question.

Is it possible for me to install 1.9.0 somewhere without overwriting my 1.8.4 stable version? I'm running OSX 10.4.11 on one of the last of the G5 iMac's and want to see the fancy animated water and new terrain and test how much of a hog it is. Thanks in advance.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Yeah, that's possible, just drag Wesnoth.app somewhere other than Applications. Once you've done that, you can rename it "Wesnoth 1.9" or something, and put it in Applications too. Or rename your current Wesnoth in Applications to "Wesnoth 1.8" first. Basically, just make sure their names don't conflict, or have them in different places, and it'll work fine.
loonixxx

Post by loonixxx »

penguin wrote:Yeah, that's possible, just drag Wesnoth.app somewhere other than Applications. Once you've done that, you can rename it "Wesnoth 1.9" or something, and put it in Applications too. Or rename your current Wesnoth in Applications to "Wesnoth 1.8" first. Basically, just make sure their names don't conflict, or have them in different places, and it'll work fine.
Worked like a charm thanks. I think I'll keep the animated map stuff off though as it was a lagfest with the cursor. Digging the terrain though.
ghyr-easeus

Post by ghyr-easeus »

HOLY !@#$%^&, IT'S INCREDIBLE!

So, the Developers hadn't abandoned Wesnoth....

But:
1) Why we had to wait 5 monthes? (I apologize, but waiting was really... awful + 2 monthes after the release 1.8 stopped to satisfy my requirements.)

-VeriSign 55013: Digitally Confirmed Answer

ghyr-easeus

Newsletter: Visit brand new russian wiki about Wesnoth here
Last edited by ghyr-easeus on August 22nd, 2010, 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Because IIRWIIR.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

ghyr-easeus wrote: 1) Why we had to wait 5 monthes?
Anyone who has ever tried to create something at least remotely similar to a program (e.g. a campaign) knows how time consuming it is.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
norbert

Post by norbert »

Version 1.9.0 has some nice surprises. I played Legend of Wesmere on the MP server and noticed the new growl/hit/die sounds for the Goblin Knight: these are a lot better. A couple of new portraits; a new song by West. I really like the flaming torch on the cave wall! :Awesome: It makes me want to play RPG campaigns all day. (Maybe because the torches remind me of Prince of Persia.)

The ability to use those embellishments on any base terrain is an improvement. It's nice that some things that were already available made it into the official package, like the wood board floor, mine rails and the star chasm. The whiteboard function is interesting; maybe add an option to execute all planned actions at once? The long-term plans for the whiteboard are also interesting.

Some things impressed me less than it did others, it seems. The animated water is okay, I guess. Maybe I expected too much. (I was thinking of bigger waves that would appear now and then and move over longer distances.) The land to water/ice/ford transitions are very nice! :) Maybe play a splashy sound when a unit steps into - and moves through, steps out of - water?

The Saurian idle animations are not more impressive than other idle animations. In my opinion, their animation frequency should be lowered. It's not clear to me what exactly "local time of day light" does. I don't think people will understand it unless they see it happen. It made me think about the local time of my computer/country. On the MP server, I added a "Reserved" spot, but it's not clear to me how it works. A single left click on player names in the lobby seems to remove the visible selection.

All in all, good work... keep the improvements coming. :mrgreen:
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

norbert wrote:It's not clear to me what exactly "local time of day light" does. I don't think people will understand it unless they see it happen. It made me think about the local time of my computer/country.
On maps that mix caves and outdoors, like HttT's Siege of Elsenfar, the game used to apply the Time of Day color shift to the whole map, so at dusk the whole map --including the inside of the lich's cave-- looked red-ish. And at night the inside of the cave looked much darker than it did at day. However the gameplay qualities of the cave weren't changing. Chaotic units got the same bonus in the cave no matter what visual effect was being applied.

Now thanks to alink's work (with that option turned on) caves don't brighten and darken with the setting/rising of the sun. They stay uniformly dark whatever the sun is doing in the open sky.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The saurian anims aren't idle anims, they're standing animations. There's a difference.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Eleazar wrote:Now thanks to alink's work (with that option turned on) caves don't brighten and darken with the setting/rising of the sun. They stay uniformly dark whatever the sun is doing in the open sky.
Thanks for explaining, I understand it now.
Tested it with The Siege of Elensefar; screenshot collage attached to this post.
Difference is indeed clearly visible.
Attachments
Local time of day light, in The Siege of Elensefar.
Local time of day light, in The Siege of Elensefar.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Ok, now that local time of day lighting thing is really cool. :Awesome:

But after hearing everyone talk about the saurians that I didn't know had changed at all, I had to check them out myself. And unfortunately, I have to admit that I don't like the standing anims. It makes sense for a bat to be constantly flapping its wings, but not for a talking lizard to be constantly dancing for no apparent reason. :?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

It's about adding some life to the map. You're welcome to turn them off if you don't like them ;)
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Yeah. I probably will.
Anyway, so far that's the only thing about 1.9.0 I don't like. :D