Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Sleepwalker's randomness

Post by Sleepwalker »

This is where I'm going to put art I do for fun and/or which I might use if I get down to campaign making. Of course anyone is free to use any of this stuff if they want.

I had an old topic where I posted some art for an undead campaign which I had started to work on, this is some continuation of unit art for that campaign which I did awhile back. There are 2 unit lines; One zombie warrior type with weakish impact damage but high resilience, and one skeleton cavalry type with melee arcane drain damage.

Thrall: Just zombie with armor and flail.

Iron thrall: Zombie with metal rivets embedded in and fused with its skin to increase ability to take physical punishment.

Black thrall: Zombie created with the blackest arts infusing a part of the casters soul in the creature permanently binding it to its master. This bond also makes the zombie incredibly tough or something.

Barrow rider, Barrow wight: Probably former elf raised along with its mount, using a baneblade.

The fluff isn't that well developed to say the least.

I also wanted to play with rhygings excellent way of doing fiery special effects, but a little differently. Trying to give the Barrow riders baneblade a ghastly aura smoke thing. It doesn't loop flawlessly but perhaps the potential for awesomeness is there. :)
Attachments
UndeadUnits.png
UndeadUnits.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 7514 times
Barrow-Rider-Smokiness.gif
Barrow-Rider-Smokiness.gif (11.5 KiB) Viewed 7514 times
Last edited by Sleepwalker on April 12th, 2013, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Sleepwalker's totally uncalled for pixels

Post by Zerovirus »

Awesome. Totally awesome. I really don't have much else to say.

This thread puts me in an even better mood than before :P
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

oh, I like. I've been wanting undead riders that didn't have ostriches for a while, so A+ there. I like the purple smokiness too... I hope you'll share the pngs when you're done.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

We could probably use the undead riders for that scenario in Liberty where all the enemies turn into undead during the night.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

8) Super cool. Especially the Barrow Rider line, those are pure win.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

I like the Evil Dead Avatar the most though.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Great stuff Sleepwalker! (Just wondering, is this for a specific campaign or something?)
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

awesome job.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Great stuff. I did a bunch of Myth-inspired undead awhile back, including a three-level thrall line, but it's not as good as yours.
Leid

Post by Leid »

Very nice job, they are totally awesome :Awesome: .
The creator of "City Defense", a 2P survival on the add-ons list.

Visite my Art Gallery!
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30931
johndh

Post by johndh »

I really like the particles(?) on the barrow rider's blade. Since they go against gravity, it kinda suggests an otherworldly nature, as they're not bound by this silly "physics" thing.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Zerovirus, Darker_Dreams, artisticdude, Leid, Mabuse: thanks! :)

TSI: I have played most of BFW's campaigns but not that one. I'm looking at the campaigns image folder now though and I see they are using axes. So ideally they'd have blade damage right? OK I could do two versions of these then. One with the smoke effect for arcane damage and one without it for blade.

PsychoticKittens: Thanks, but yeah that's a copyrighted character so it's avatar only. :) but you could pull franken pieces of him I guess.

Telaron: Thanks, Yes, if I get around to it they will be in a campaign. But there's no sense getting into more detail about it unless I actually make enough of it to play I think.

A-Red: Ah another myth fan eh? You know your thrall units reminds me more of the new models bungie made that were supposed to replace the regular thrall unit in myth 2, but never made it due to (I think it was) popular demand. Was it intentional? The graphic collection is available to download - It has a metal coif and a mace instead of an axe... Also, too bad the name Soulless was taken :P.

johndh: It's not particles, kinda. As per rhyging5's instructions here. I also did a quick pic on how this one was done, but rhyging5 gets all credit for the method.
Attachments
Smoke.png
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Ideally, they'd probably have swords. IIRC, they are undead versions of Cavalry, but they are just whatever undead were available at the time.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Sleepwalker wrote:Zerovirus, Darker_Dreams, artisticdude, Leid, Mabuse: thanks! :)
ah nah, i have to thank you.

since these things could be used in an SX SCN of mine, they are just excellent.
(i already use your (older) thrall in wizardofwarII - as a level 2 though)

and im looking forward to see the other ones in the next/upcoming SCN :D
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Sleepwalker wrote:A-Red: Ah another myth fan eh? You know your thrall units reminds me more of the new models bungie made that were supposed to replace the regular thrall unit in myth 2, but never made it due to (I think it was) popular demand. Was it intentional? The graphic collection is available to download - It has a metal coif and a mace instead of an axe... Also, too bad the name Soulless was taken :P.
I think I intentionally blended the two Thrall concepts, yes, though I can't remember for sure. Probably subconscious, if nothing else.

And not only did I catch these sprites' reference to Myth proper, I caught the reference to Mazz as well :)