Wesnoth on Ipad

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

VasFURY

Wesnoth on Ipad

Post by VasFURY »

Hi guys, had Wesnoth for about a month, and have been really enjoying it both online and off-line.

My question is - how do I download and install new campaigns and add-ons on to the ipad? Online, apart from Age of Heroes (which is only feature I have selectable with the default), I see people creating games in different eras and with different races. How can I do the same?

So, my question is simply: Please help with downloading and installing campaigns and add-ons onto Ipad, or point me to a website which may talk you through the process!

Thank you in advance, and many many thanks to the developers for such a great title!

Vas.
Qazerowl

Re: Wesnoth on Ipad

Post by Qazerowl »

You can't do it unless you have a jailbroken one.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

1. The iPad and iPhone port threads are at the top of this very forum.

2. Sorry, you can't download add-ons to those ports. That's why it has numerous extra campaigns, etc that aren't in mainline wesnoth. And more are added with each episode.
VasFURY

Post by VasFURY »

Thanks for the reply. Well, I really do appreciate the fact that you add extra stuff with each episode, so I am eagerly awaiting your next Ipad WESNOTH release!!! This is definitely a game that deserves credit, and I dont mind paying for such great material :)

Vas
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Qazerowl wrote:You can't do it unless you have a jailbroken one.
Uh thats not it at all. Basically the issue with optimizing each scenario so it runs properly on the Iphone. You can't simply take a scenario and load it into the iphone... it doesn't work that way.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Qazerowl

Post by Qazerowl »

Actually, you can. I've done it.
Captain_Wrathbow

Really? :o How? :?
Qazerowl

Post by Qazerowl »

When you jailbreak your iphone/ipad, you can use cydia to download OpenSSH. OpenSSH allows you to use a program like winscp to use your idevice like an external drive. You can edit/add cfg files this way.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Qazerowl wrote:When you jailbreak your iphone/ipad, you can use cydia to download OpenSSH. OpenSSH allows you to use a program like winscp to use your idevice like an external drive. You can edit/add cfg files this way.
Interesting. Have you tested this theory to put it into practice? Because it's possible that, even if you can modify the internals of the Wesnoth app, you can't necessarily drop in add-ons from the computer version without some form of conversion.

At any rate, this doesn't seem like a workable approach for anyone but the most technically-inclined of Wesnoth iPhone/iPad users.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I don't think that would work because the cache is pre-generated to speed load times.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I wonder if Kyle would add a way to force the cache to regenerate. Anyone who is adding/editing .cfgs would then be prepared for the delay because they would be triggering it. And then we'd have a way to get add-ons onto iDevices.
Captain_Wrathbow

Qazerowl wrote:When you jailbreak your iphone/ipad, you can use cydia to download OpenSSH. OpenSSH allows you to use a program like winscp to use your idevice like an external drive. You can edit/add cfg files this way.
Wow, that's clever. But as others have asked, did you actually test it and get it to work?
I'd love to see a way to get addons into the iPad/iPhone versions, even if it's some cheap round-a-bout method.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

However, jailbreak= void device warranty. :augh:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Sorry for being ignorant, but what does jailbreaking an I-pad entail? :?:
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

It allows you to ignore the restrictions that Apple have put on the iOS (for instance not being able to download anything spare images). I suppose this also allows cheating for game which store stuff locally...

However Apple (for obvious reasons) doesn't like that, and made the most recent jailbreaking technique impossible.