Scenario Review: SotBE 12 - Giving Some Back

Feedback for the mainline campaign Son of the Black Eye.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: SotBE 12 - Giving Some Back

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: SotBE 12 - Giving Some Back

Post by Turuk »

Given that this campaign has limited feedback, judging from the last scenario I have noticed people only post feedback when they want to complain a part or a whole scenario is too hard. Figures.

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Warlord (Nightmare) 1.5.7

5. Not too bad, the level 1s from the upper level leader are not too hard to deal with, but those lancers are unit killers. Hardest part is hoping your allies do not kill him too early so that the second leader will not get that gold bonus until the last minute. Really not too hard, especially if you kill the enemies in front of you, then in front of your allies, instead of pushing forward. This will let your allies surge forward to take the brunt. Repeat.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fairly consistent with the rest of the campaign.

None.

7. This was the first scenario with serious ally "help" and it takes a bit of a different thinking to make the most of the meat shields.... er, ally units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Good as is, though maybe a bit more map so it is not a full frontal assault would be nice.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good to me.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Egosnemesis

Post by Egosnemesis »

The easiest, "Challenging". Played on Wesnoth 1.6.1

4. I the previous scenario was significantly harder. This scenario can't be that hard since the humans are on the run from the great horde, and that's the impression that I got from this map. Perfect difficulty for the storyline of the campaign.

Clear

Solid

I killed the enemy leader relatively early, so the main boss had a chance and was able to recruit a lot of level 2 units and he also had plenty of towns. I was able to let my allies do most of the dying and I did most of the killing, but it was tougher than I thought going into it.

None

None

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

medium, 1.6

3-4

standard task: kill all enemies

nice

no problems. I was pushing forward rather hard but anyway didn't really loose units. Plus entering the town from the side was easy.

7-8, big battles are always fun, as is having allies

no idea (OK, maybe smarter AI, but, well...)

no.

N/A
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Warning: The replay attached to this post may cause errors – for some reason in the replay I start with 211 gold when in fact I started the mission with 300. Apart from that everything is fine, so just ignore the errors.

1.8.4, Warrior (Difficult), i.e. (what I consider) Normal difficulty

3, but see comments at the bottom

Clear

I was disappointed that no one had anything to say when I won. At first I thought it might be because my ally killed the last enemy leader, so I reloaded and replayed the last turn. But even then the mission just ends.

I don’t think I had any.

6 – nothing special.

First of all, some talking when the player wins.

Second, make both enemy leaders stay in their keeps. The black leader left his keep to attack one of my ally’s units and that made it very easy to kill him. Make them both stay in their keeps, just like my allies did.

Clarify the reinforcements bit. Due to my experience with previous campaigns I figured out the reinforcements were in fact extra gold, but that may not immediately obvious to all players.

Just my desire to end the mission as quickly as possible, which made me replay a couple of turns. Turned out I didn’t need to rush – I finished at turn 8.

Two things I want to mention:
1) My allies were surprisingly useful in this mission. If only all AI-controlled allies in all campaigns were like them…
2) The accuracy of enemy mages was simply ATROCIOUS!!! Especially White Mages – missing 2/3 or even 3/3 was the norm. In fact, I can’t remember a single case where a White mage hit more than once with his/her ranged attack! Red Mages were a bit better, but not by much – missing 1 or 2 out of 4 attacks was the norm. Add to that most Shock Troopers missing at least once (and a few times both attacks), and the end result was an enemy that was very easy to defeat. I too had some bad luck, but it was overshadowed by the misses of the enemy. Because of that I may have gotten the wrong impression about the difficulty of the scenario – it might be a bit more difficult than it seemed to me.

This time I’m attaching my replay.
Attachments
SotBE-Разплата_повторение.gz
(42.67 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Difficult, 1.8.5

7 - Another two try board, although my first try only lasted a few turns. Not too bad, but I think I got lucky with my ally AI--they were the perfect meat shields.

Clear. Kill Beavis and Butthead.

Could have used some dialogue when the big baddy goes down

First time I was surprised how quickly they came north, they took out my Troll hero. Second time, I recruited a wave of lvl1 trolls. They attacked as the tanks, and then my lvl 3 battalion wiped everything in its path.

I finished in round 10/24 with -23 gold and will start next scenario with 142 bonus gold.

8 - I like it because the action is quick, and you have the element of guessing who your allies will attack.

Good as is.

See above.
santosis

Post by santosis »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Difficult, 1.8.5

3 - One timer, no reloads, no casualties.

Clear. Kill Frik and Frak.

Har.

Making sure the griffins attacked my allies. I used the frozen river in the NW to kill the dwarves. Assassins, archers, and trolls were helpful on this board.

I finished in round 13/30 with 68 gold and will start next scenario with 190 bonus gold.

8 - I liked not losing troops, the slow movement got annoying (though it made it easier to pick off enemies).

Good as is.

Nope.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

What is santosis talking about? What Griffons? What frozen river? Must be the next scenario.

Nightmare; 1.9.2; 300 starting gold (minimum)

Clear.

Okay.

It is difficult not to lose a critical or loyal unit. Just look at this lineup:

This was after the AI's turn, so all my units can move next, but still... it's just now morning, so I would have a hard time even taking out the two exposed white mages. I thought about making a running retreat, but instead fought on and lost my loyal assassin and other units on the next turn and conceded. Also note that Inarix (far right) almost died the previous turn. Even a fully healthy Gruu can easily be taken out by a couple longbowmen and a shocktrooper during the day (which happened twice to me.)

Fine as is. Could give enemy leader two bodyguards parked next to him, maybe longbowmen.

I second the compliments of the allied (and enemy) AI. Please copy the settings to the LoW campaign scenarios.

I won the first time, but lost a loyal assassin. It took me several more attempts to win with no loyal losses. No save-reloads during the whole campaign, though.

There are no comments.

Edit:

Code: Select all

[side]
        type=General
        id=Arthur
        name= _ "Arthur"
        side=4
        canrecruit=yes
        facing=sw
        recruit=Dragoon, Swordsman, Pikeman, Longbowman,Shock Trooper,Mage,Duelist,White Mage,Red Mage,Lancer,Knight
        team_name=villains
        user_team_name=_"Villains"
        {GOLD 300 350 400}

[ai]
            passive_leader=yes
        [/ai]
        {FLAG_VARIANT layalist}
    [/side]
Note the typo: layalist.
Attachments
SotBE-Giving_Some_Back_replay.gz
(278.42 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
Faello

Post by Faello »

Nightmare (Warlord), 1.8.5, no saves/reloads, 300 starting gold (minimum)

It's a typical high-losses, pitched battle oriented scenario with a lot of low defence terrain (grassland) which makes battles espescially deadly, but Kapou'e and his warlords (Al'Brock , Flar'Tar) have a total amount of 700gp vs 700gp of general Arthur and his lieutenant Hank, which makes this battle even. After Hank's death, general Arthur sends another 400gp worth of reinforcements but at this point player has probably a full control over the map, except for the castle, thus it's easy to build a defensive line on the moat and stab, smite and slay whatever will try to leave the castle.

Considering the pitched battle character of the scenario and exceptional boost that players receive from the beginning of this scenario (Great Horde bonus, making every unit cost 1gp of upkeep less), player can easily rely on lvl1 grunt fodder that is very cheap yet effective with a leadership and recruit only a few lvl2 units (lvl3's are unnecessary to pass this scenario) which cost as lvl1's normally would!

Tactic is simple - make a live wall from lvl1 grunts during the day, wound some units if it's possible and passively support the Al'Brock & Flar'Tar forces which are much more agressive and suffer more losses, but they've lvl2 units (orcish warriors & crossbowmen) which are very useful. During the night slay as much as you can with leadership - general Arthur relies on the inefficient (in terms of gold-to-damage output) lvl2 units so this strategy works like a charmer 8)

I was able to finish this scenario 8 turns before the turn limit with only lvl1 losses.

9 losses, 28 kills in this one (allies l/k ratio looks less efficient tho :doh: )

Crystal clear.

It's interesting, also I really liked the Great Horde bonus and having allies on my side. They were very useful.

No major challanges in this one, it's a nice, relaxing scenario :)

I realy like pitched battles and having allies on my side, Great Horde bonus is also something that kind of reflects player progress in the campaign and really fits orcs - most of the other campaigns don't give player such benefits :)

No changes, it's great as it is.

No, it went smoothly on the first trial.

Replay attached:
Attachments
Giving Some Back, Nightmare (Warlord) 1.8.5, no saves/reloads replay
(51.56 KiB) Downloaded 845 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) Warrior, 1.8.5
(2) 1; starting with 280 gold and lots of L3s from the previous scenario.
(3) Clear.
(4) Clear. The story preceding the scenario is good, the dialogue in the scenario is bland, not as good as some of the others in this campaign.
(5) None. My allies could have done fairly well on their own, and with a bit of help from me they crushed the enemy. I was just racing to keep up with their super-aggressive advance so I could get some XP for my units. The ally killed the enemy leader on turn 10 out of 24 (albeit it was my units around him that did most of the damage, and the allies were down to their last 2-3 units by this point).

I got a little unlucky with my attacks so the allies got and wasted most of the XP; and I recruited too many L3s expecting to need damage sinks to resist the wave of enemy L2s. Also I made the mistake at the start of expecting to need to defend a line through the first day, so my troops were hanging back on turn 2-3 in a defensive line, hence being in a race to catch up with my allies' rapid advance after that.

(6) 4. It is sort of fun to race my allies, but it's not much of a fight. The terrain was interesting and I spent a couple of minutes thinking about deployment (one good feature of this campaign is that the terrain often makes the player need to take some thought and make choices), which turned out to be entirely the wrong way to think about the level.
(7) Well, if the level is supposed to be a race against your allies, it's doing it well. Otherwise, the enemy needs a cash injection.

The allies could be made less aggressive perhaps; if they retreated their injured units then I would get a chance to do a bit more of the fighting.

Just as an experiment you could try shifting the time of day a bit. Much of the main fight happens to be at night right now; maybe they could last to turn 12-13ish if the day/night cycle was different.

(8) I reloaded at the end to go back a turn to try and get the glory of killing the enemy leader; the ally still got him first though :-S
line

Post by line »

Warlord (Nightmare) 1.10.3
338 starting gold (allies: 200/200, enemies:300/400)
Finished turn 9/20

3. Easy, as it is supposed to be as you’re catching the humans withdrawing from their failed attack on Prestim.

Clear.

Nice as is.

Upgrading lvl-1’s that shall not get killed by the opponent’s lvl-2’s. Also the allies stole a lot of kills (but served as meat shields in return).

7. The weak opponent in this one fits into the storyline and therefore serves well to upgrade recruits and earn money.

None.

None.
Attachments
(53.46 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

1.10.6 - Warlord - (Nightmare) - No save/load - 300 starting gold (replay shows 274, but 300 is the minimum)

4? It would be hard to lose, except by hero death, but you could take a Pyrrhic victory pretty easily

Clear.

I liked it.

The great horde bonus made me want to recruit level ones, so that I could earn bonus cash. This turned out to be a good strategy, as the AI loves to target level one cannon fodder when it can, meaning that it is relatively easy to protect valuable units.

I held back and let my AI allies fight during the first day. They were extremely effective at weakening the AI and absorbing damage. When dusk and night came, I wiped out as many enemy units as I could and killed the northern leader. I captured his keep before dawn. The bonus reinforcements came as a surprise, but I was on enough of a roll to consolidate my position and hold them in the moat during the second day.

Holding the freshly recruited level twos in the moat during the day and killing them off was the biggest challenge and I probably got a little bit lucky to pull it off without significant losses.

The rest of the city was cleaned out at dusk, the leader died at first watch, turn 11.

8. It was a good scenario even though it was easy. The great horde bonus changes your strategy a bit, encouraging a bigger battle. The AI allies were helpful. The terrain was well designed.

Only one: make the northern AI leader more careful about leaving the keep. My allies almost killed him when charged out of the keep with some of his men.

8 ) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No reloads, no restarts.

The replay shows me starting with less than the minimum gold, presumably because I had negative gold at the end of the previous scenario. Just click ignore all when the prompt comes up, the replay still works fine.
Attachments
1.10.6 - No save/load - Nightmare - click ignore all when prompted
(71.37 KiB) Downloaded 838 times
SBak

Post by SBak »

Challenging (easiest) 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

About 3-4. It's a welcome scenario after Prestim with good allies and *cough* probably the first scenario I've encountered where my allies play somewhat better than me.

Very clear.

This is quality again which adds a twist to the whole campaign.

Recruiting and recalling. I've learned why Northerners have this 'strength in numbers' about them because even at levels 2 and 3 you still have to cover and protect units. I've tried this scenario with level 3 units and you always invariably lose key units. I've tried with a lot of lvl2 units but the allies are so good this usually results in me setting up kills for allied lvl1 units so i tend to have a mix of units and recruit new ones. This leads to the next problem..

The northern edge of the city. This seems to be where all three sides' units (allies and mine) converge and the southern enemy makes a last stand. I've tried using poison but these units tend not to survive and it's quite difficult levelling up an Orcish Slayer despite their high defense. Goblin Pillagers I find also get bashed but I've also learned that Saurians come in handy here.

The enemy AI is strange. Unlike other Loyalist enemies so far in this campaign which favour the Spearman lines this one tends to favour the HI/Mage approach, but sends its White Mages off to capture villages.

7 - it's a pleasant, enjoyable scenario but nothing special.

I think giving the allies instructions is a good idea but feel it needs to be modified to add 'Retreat' and 'Advance' as well as perhaps 'Stay out of the water' and 'Leave villages alone'.

Yes, Kapou'e getting killed whilst running south to the first enemy keep.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, gold? Nightmare, 1.11.12, 376 starting gold.
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 9.5 with 376 starting gold. Impossible with minimum. I had to replay the previous scenario for gold.
(3) Clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Very good. I like the horde.
(5) Challenges? The major challenge is keeping criticals, loyals, and allied leaders alive. The fluid battlelines are also stressful. The enemy is likely to flank your line to the west early on, jeopardizing your western ally leader, who will be only too happy to charge out to meet the squad of Shock Troopers, L2 Mages, and Lancers moving his way.

My advice is:
1. Replay the previous scenario for gold. The walkthrough for Clash of Armies says says, "You don't need to be careful about your gold in this scenario so feel free to spend all you have here. The next scenario can be handled comfortably with the minimum gold you receive." Uh, no.
2. Recruit several rounds of spam (Whelps and Grunts) and then finally recall two rounds of your best veterans, primarily Warlords and Trolls. Technically, due to the Great Horde bonus, you can recall a few veterans earlier at no extra cost.
3. Your allies are going to throw away their troops fairly quickly. You can help them by forming a line where they are likely to move or just behind. You can tell your ally where to move by leaving fatally wounded enemy units for him. I also used the "Instruct Ally" feature to tell my allies to be defensive, though I'm not sure that does anything.
4. Be extremely conservative by day. Try to get your Trolls and other vulnerable units off the front line during the day.
5. If you play without save reloads, take no risks with your loyals and criticals. In the replay, you can see where Jetto survived a Lancer and Knight on one round (without a scratch) and a Shock Trooper and a Spearman on another round (critically wounded.) Also, Gruu survived a Longbowman and Knight on the second to last turn. And I was being careful.
6. Think strategically about your battlelines. What worked for me was to anchor my east flank at the lake, advance pretty rapidly in disciplined lines through the middle and east (in order to support my eastern ally's banzai charge), and on the western front withdraw slightly northwards as the enemy threatens to flank. This leaves the western leader open to attack, but it also allows him to attack, so I try to get some benefit from his attacks while at the same time protecting him.
7. There is no longer a 400 gold bonus to the south leader once you kill the north leader, so go ahead and kill the north leader ASAP. You can recruit more if needed in his keep.
8. Wait for evening before leaving the relative safety of the north leader's keep and advancing towards the south leader. If it's the last turn, then throw everything you have at the enemy leader and anything in the way. (There will be no retaliation turn if you kill the leader, and if you don't, you've lost anyway.)

(6) Fun? (1-10) 9, one point deducted for being overly challenging. I love scenarios that force strategic thinking.
(7) Changes? Increase player gold. Note that "undo" does not work when recalling units. Also, unit support expense is messed up in planning mode. Both these problems are probably due to the Great Horde bonus.
(8) Reloads? No. I beat it without save-reloads!
(9) WML? There are no comments.

The attached replay is one of my favorites of all time...
Attachments
(72.78 KiB) Downloaded 816 times
Theron

Post by Theron »

Nightmare; 1.11.13

Stats:
Scenario, starting gold (default+carryover),turns/max turns,recruits-recalls-advancements-losses-kills
12 250+110 14/18 9-13-3-10-48

Comments:
Scenario 12:
I like this scenario.
Teamworking with non-player controlled allies is hard but fun.
Sadly I lost precious wolves due to charge attacks.
Reloaded on turn 11 because I mistakenly moved a Goblin Pillager into strike range of the Knight.
Reloaded on turn 12 because I hate Lancers.

My advice is:
Form a forward defensive line in anticipation of your allies moves (probably requires leveled wolves).
Hold the line during the rest of the day.
Recruit a few of those:
Saurian Augurs (healing)
Orcish Assassins (spreading poison)
Troll Whelps (tanking and self-healing)
Wolf Riders (may be promoted to Goblin Pillager)
Recalls:
Wolves ...
Level 3 units
Don't go negative with your upkeep.
Beginning with the first night hit hard and fast.
The enemy won't recover.
Attachments
(77.16 KiB) Downloaded 769 times