Prosilver or Subsilver2?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What forum style do you prefer?

Prosilver
15%
Subsilver2
35%
Wesnoth (Subsilver2-based)
41%
AcidTech (Subsilver2-based)
6%
None of the above (specify)
4%

Total votes: 54

Unnheulu

Re: Prosilver or Subsilver2?

Post by Unnheulu »

I'm just trying out prosilver now, and I have to say that I prefer the standard wesnoth theme. Prosilver would probably work better were it not for the wesnoth banner at the top, but in prosilver, it seems much smaller and doesn't fit the colour scheme. There are many aspects of prosilver that I prefer over subsilver, and it being built around div's will no doubt make it easier if redesigning the theme to any extent, but at the moment I really don't feel it fits too well with wesnoth. This is just my opinion of course, so feel free to ignore ;)

EDIT: Now I've switched back, I need to say that the subsilver feels a lot harder than prosilver, prosilver just felt so much...smoother? So if prosilver looked good with the wesnoth banner at the top and stuff, I'd probably use that. (And with the wesnoth theme colours to.)
boru

Post by boru »

Switched back to subsilver2 and it's a little like coming home again. Maybe prosilver se is the future, and maybe 9 out of 10 users in their focus group find that the quote button at the top of the post instead of the bottom is more intuitive, aesthetically pleasing and ergonomically whatever, but I still like the quote button at the bottom.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I'd prefer Subsilver2, but only because that's what I've always used. Prosilver seems OK, anything with light text on dark background not so much (it's headache fodder for me).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

If we do upgrade do we have to use the new smilies ,can we use the same ones or are smilies fully coustomizeable?
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

smilies are fully customizable, at least that's what I remember from my admining experience.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Subsilver2, only because when I realized that you could change the theme, (a few months ago) I was already too accustomed to subsilver2 to convince myself to change to anything else. :P

Dunno wrote:smilies are fully customizable, at least that's what I remember from my admining experience.
Yeah. In fact I think Shadowmaster made this one himself, right? --> :Awesome:
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

boru wrote:Switched back to subsilver2 and it's a little like coming home again. Maybe prosilver se is the future, and maybe 9 out of 10 users in their focus group find that the quote button at the top of the post instead of the bottom is more intuitive, aesthetically pleasing and ergonomically whatever, but I still like the quote button at the bottom.
I never really noticed the Quote button was at the top. You're right, that's a weird place to put it - most forums put it bottom right or bottom left, which are the best places.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Yeah. In fact I think Shadowmaster made this one himself, right? --> :Awesome:
Awesomeface looks so wrong at that resolution. :/ Anyway, yes, smilies are fully customizable.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I've been using Prosilver since this topic started to try it out. The main thing that bugs me is that the "view new posts" link doesn't show up as much as it does in Subsilver.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Major wrote:If we do upgrade do we have to use the new smilies ,can we use the same ones or are smilies fully coustomizeable?
The current smilies are the only smilies and they have nothing to do with forum styles.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

For me, Prosilver/Subsilver 2 are the best-looking two of the bunch. I'm used to Subsilver 2, so there are some annoying moments working with Prosilver when I can't find the button I'm looking for, but that's just a matter of getting used to something new. The big difference between the two for me is that Prosilver has various elements that appear as eye-stabbing pink (forum rules, new post icons, just about any control when moused over) when placed next to the rest of the theme. If I could just do Prosilver~RC(magenta>orange) :lol2: or something like that, I'd be happy to switch over to it.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Exasperation wrote: If I could just do Prosilver~RC(magenta>orange) :lol2: or something like that, I'd be happy to switch over to it.
I think, at this value level, any color would be annoying.
Qazerowl

Post by Qazerowl »

I'd like to change my vote from prosilver to subsilver2...
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:I think, at this value level, any color would be annoying.
Ditto.

Off-topic: Oho, the "Loose Screw" title is back again? :P
Zarel wrote:I never really noticed the Quote button was at the top. You're right, that's a weird place to put it - most forums put it bottom right or bottom left, which are the best places.
That bothered me as well... but it should be possible to change the position, right? :hmm:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Anything is possible because Wesnoth hosts this forum itself and has full access to everything. What it apparently comes down to, is how much worse it makes the process of upgrading the forum software.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Or how lazy I am. Although my workflow makes upgrading piece of cake without needing to deploy the heavy (yet very nice) AutoMOD. Nonetheless, the fewer changes I have to make on the upstream tree, the better. It also means that people coming from other phpBB 3 forums that already use Prosilver as the default or only option (as it should be) don't have to bear with drastic differences from the standards.

You are really not going to get more changes from me to Prosilver at this point, unless it's for implementing modifications*, and I'll continue to support Subsilver2 until around the end of the year, probably, or the next time I have a reason to take down everything for heavy maintenance, whichever comes first.

* (Yes, I have plans. I'm not disclosing further information at this time since they are subject to change. Nothing dramatically noticeable though, so those changes might not affect user experience in any way in most cases.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.