Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mountain_King
Translator

Official art thread for "Dinosaurs!"

Post by Mountain_King »

Here is the official art thread for dinosaurs, a new unit pack/era. If you have dinosaur spritework/portraits/info, this is the place. Some things we are starting with:
The fearsome tyrannosaurus!
The fearsome tyrannosaurus!
T-Rex.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 32560 times
and this:
Pterodactylian
Pterodactylian
Pteranodontemp.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 32560 times
and this:
triceratops?
triceratops?
ceratopsian.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 32560 times
EDIT: The T-Rex is the only one I'm actually happy with, in case you're wondering. TSI said that I should use placeholder graphics until either I improve on my artistic "skills" or someone else wants to donate theirs. I did understand that correctly, right?
Last edited by Mountain_King on October 4th, 2010, 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Stern
Art Contributor

Re: Dinosaurs!

Post by Stern »

If you are creating a dinosaur era, here is a base frame for a prehistoric creature known as a trilobite.
Attachments
trilobite.png
trilobite.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 32496 times
Doing things one step at a time. Current Project: Speckles the Toad!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Little nitpicks: I think the horns on the trike should be a little longer. If you take a look at some triceratops heads, the top two horns were actually much longer than the bottom. Maybe it should be switched around a bit?

The Rex's arms should be shorter as well. IIRC, In most cases, the Rex could barely reach its neck (if it ever could).

The colors don't look very Dinosaury, IMO. But no one really knows what dinosaur skin looked like, everything now is just an educated guess, so do what you like.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

@ triceratops: I understand you,re not an artist, but right now the body is sideways ( E ), while the legs are aligned SE. Also, it is incradibly flat, the two top horns are misplaced (should be lowered and huh... placed otherwise) and the front/bottom horn should be shorter.

Pterodactil could be much bigger too, imo, but I understand it's probably a franckie from the bat.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

@Stern: WoW! That. is. incredible. I wasn't going to include the trilobites (mainly because they are small bottom-feeders), but now I want to! Oh, the quandary.

@Hulavuta: The triceratops was the most-rushed of the three. It involved a recolor/shuffle of the woolly rhino that I got from midnight_carnival. the horns on his frill were originally the short horn on the rhinos nose. True that the T-Rex's arms could be shorter, but I was having trouble with it blurring when I kept shrinking the arms on GIMP. They're about 50% smaller than the dragon's arms, IIRC. If all else fails, we can just make it into an Allosaurus or Ceratosaurus instead. They do have longer arms.
to further elaborate on the T-Rex colors...I have this sort of vision, wherein the Tyrannosaurus survives not by all-out hunting, like the raptors, or by scavenging, like a vulture. Instead, it comes out at night, and uses stealth to sneak up on the unsuspecting night watch. It gobbles them up, then returns to its lair in the Grendlesmere. The dark colors are so he can move around unseen at night. The colors on the Pterodactyl and the Triceratops were somewhat randomly picked. What do you think they should be colored like?

Also, thinking of modifying the "brain-eater" from EoM to use as placeholder Pachycephalosaur. With removal of the wings, the dragon lord from A Rough Life could also be turned into several different dinosaurs. What do you think?

EDIT: Just saw dixie's post. The pterodactyl is the thunderbird from EoM, while the triceratops ultimately comes from the yak in IE. I figured I should put these out right away, so I have something to work with. I was always better at drawing 2-D anyways (which is why they look flat, they are).
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Hulavuta wrote:Little nitpicks: I think the horns on the trike should be a little longer. If you take a look at some triceratops heads, the top two horns were actually much longer than the bottom. Maybe it should be switched around a bit?
+1
Also, I think the lower horn looks like it belong to a rhino, not a triceratop...As seen in the pictures
- Rhino:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Water ... shorn2.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Black ... crater.jpg
- Triceratops:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trice ... us_old.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trice ... -_1904.jpg
R.I.P
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Mountain_King wrote:@Stern: WoW! That. is. incredible. I wasn't going to include the trilobites (mainly because they are small bottom-feeders), but now I want to! Oh, the quandary.
The thing is, at least on Earth the trilobites disappeared about 251 Millions of years ago, while the dinosaurs started to appear only about 235 Millions of years ago. (This may be otherwise on Irdya, though.)

And, this trilobite is quite big compared to the dinosaurs.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

@pauxlo: Most dinosaurs appeared several million years after each other, so it's not a big deal I guess. Plus, this is just a unit pack, so it doesn't have to be historically accurate.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Leid

Post by Leid »

The Triceratops seems a little bit flat... :hmm:
The creator of "City Defense", a 2P survival on the add-ons list.

Visite my Art Gallery!
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30931
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Its shading is... nonexistent, that's why. Well, to be technical, it has a tiny line of highlight along the...bottom... o_O
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

We can probably frankenstein the Dark Elf Lizard Rider's lizard and give it a fin to be a Dimetrodon. It's not really a dinosaur, but if you plan to add the Trilobite, it's probably a good idea to have a Dimetrodon too.
~Sierra
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Franckenpack: http://forums.wesnoth.org/download/file ... &mode=view

There are too lizard-like animals and a weird yellow elephant/triceratop-hybrid-thing. And a sabertooth tiger.

Also, you'd be far better not scaling the dragon arms to make the T'Rex's: redraw them, it'll be far easier and look much better, imo.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
boru

Post by boru »

Mountain_King wrote:@Stern: WoW! That. is. incredible. I wasn't going to include the trilobites (mainly because they are small bottom-feeders), but now I want to! Oh, the quandary.
No, there were predator trilobites as well as bottom-feeders, filter-feeders, etc. Not all were small, either.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Nice using of the fire dragons head for the Rex Dinasour hehehe

The sprites likes cooler, but the one what don't likes so cool is the triceratops, likes very flat.

The others I think are much better :)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

@ Dixie: holy schnitzlewhitzle! thats a nice frankenpack :shock:
you should probably make one of those chicken dinosaurs (I forget what they are called but I always thought they looked like chickens
lets see if I can find a picture...
ooo this is a good one
Attachments
terror-bird-big.jpg
terror-bird-big.jpg (49.93 KiB) Viewed 32222 times