is RNG broken here or is it scenario?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

is RNG broken here or is it scenario?

Post by Dunno »

As some of you may know, I'm replaying DiD, and in the "Alone At Last" scenario I left one Nightgaunt near the place your sister spawns. But for some reason I simply can't hit her. I used debug and took control of all sides and attacked her 10 times (until my nightgaunt finally died). And before that I saved/loaded around 20 times. No hit at all. Is it intentional? Or will I be the first person to submit a replay with a broken RNG?
Attachments
DID-Alone_at_Last_replay.gz
(34.53 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Drakefriend

Re: is RNG broken here or is it scenario?

Post by Drakefriend »

This time, it really is not bad luck, there is a tag that gives Dela a CTNH of 0%
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Dela's invincible when she spawns, to prevent exactly this sort of assassination before she can even recruit.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Oh, ok. Thanks.
This is getting even more harder though :augh:
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I had a similar problem; when she appeared, I grabbed the book and rushed her keep, figuring I could kill her pretty quickly and recruit some reinforcements to get me back to my castle. Discovering that you can't kill her was a pretty rude surprise; it would be nice if there was some indication, like the main character saying he's not willing to kill his sister at this time, or something.

As an alternative, you can just put a unit on the hex where her keep appears, and she still won't be able to recruit (she'll move to a hex next to it, but the castle still appears in the same place.) As an alternative to that, in case a fix is implemented to center her castle on the hex she's on, you could ZoC the hex she appears on, probably with a couple of wraiths or something.
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

I placed a 99xp Wraith in her keep, making her unable to recruit and unwilling to attack the Wraith.

But yeah, the way that event is implemented right now is rather unintuitive. Make her hard to kill, but not impossible.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Schierke wrote:But yeah, the way that event is implemented right now is rather unintuitive. Make her hard to kill, but not impossible.
Or maybe, just placing in the scenario objectives a

Code: Select all

note= _ "Dela Keshar cannot be killed."
Simple to implement, won't require any balancing change.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:Or maybe, just placing in the scenario objectives a

Code: Select all

note= _ "Dela Keshar cannot be killed."
Simple to implement, won't require any balancing change.
Or made you lose if Dela Keshar is killed (Malin will repent of killing his own sister)
R.I.P
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

That would be depressing. You are playing successfully (defeated 1 opponent quickly) and lose for it.

Id like the dialog of "Damn, I cant kill my own sister..." best.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Schierke wrote:I placed a 99xp Wraith in her keep, making her unable to recruit and unwilling to attack the Wraith.
Actually, she won't attack any Wraith, even a low XP one that is wounded with only 17 HP so that she can kill it with one attack. I don't know why. She also won't attack a Dark Sorcerer. Well, unless maybe it's more than a little wounded.

Anyway, I think the line in the WML that makes her immortal is just a "plot zombie" leftover from a previous scenario where she could not die for continuity reasons. In Alone At Last, there is no reason that she should not be permitted to die. And in fact, she can die. Volk's forces killed her in one of my attempts.
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

The focus by which a necromancer goes necromancer, often seems to suffer from quirks.

Remember: Malin went necromancer to try to save his home city. Dela's plot immunity, as "immediate family", isn't nearly as jaw-dropping as
Spoiler:
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

I see no reason to force her invincible, anyway. If someone's smart enough to think of that strategy, why not?

Or maybe just have her recruit on the same turn she comes in. That would probably prevent that problem without such a counterintuitive mechanic.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

you know, I've been thinking about this yesterday evening. This is a good place to add a dialogue in which she could say why she is so vengeful. You know something like:

Malin: Sister, I don't want to hurt you, go back to your village!
Dela: I don't want to go back. I have nothing left there. You killed poor Drogan, now the only way I can show him how I felt is to avenge him!
Malin: He was a traitor! He was going to kill me!
Dela: And I regret he didn't.
Malin: (no, I can't kill her. Enough people were hurt because of Darken Volk!)

or evil version

Malin: If you so badly wish to die, then so be it.

I'm still unsure which would be better. Or maybe we should leave this to player, they will decide whether to spare Dela or to kill her. What do you think?
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

And if you spare her, she will be a little less agressive or something. You should gain something for not being abled to finish her.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I think this should be brought to the Devs' attention.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.