Re: Swamplings - v1.1.7 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Swamplings - v1.0 - 16 scenarios complete

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

My compliments for releasing 1.0! :D I noticed that you have added the Boulderlobber from TSoG, and that you have also a Sw_Rocklobber. The last one is not necessary, because having an [advancefrom] tag in Troll_Boulderlobber.cfg overrides the mainline advances_to=null. In TSoG there isn't any TSoG_Rocklobber.cfg, for example. And, if you need to copy a mainline unit, changing only some stats, lihe hitpoints or movepoints, you can use the [base_unit] tag, avoiding to copy a lot of code. :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
boru

Post by boru »

Cool .. I saw that [advancefrom] tag and wondered what it did. :hmm: I think that makes a few files in the units folder unnecessary ... thanks!
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

boru wrote:Cool .. I saw that [advancefrom] tag and wondered what it did.
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/UnitTypeWML . It's the first tag described in the page. Have fun! :wink:
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Dixie

Re: Re: Swamplings - v1.0 - 16 scenarios complete

Post by Dixie »

A quick note about advancefrom, though: it should be fine within the scope of a campaign, but if you ever make something multiplayer, such as an MP campaign or an era, using advancefrom will cause OOSes with unrelated games using default for players who have your add-on installed. So, be careful with it is you ever go MP ;)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
boru

Post by boru »

According to the wiki, putting [advancefrom] inside a campaign #ifdef will prevent it from affecting other campaigns. So that's the way I set it up. Tested it, and all looks good.

It's unlikely I'd ever do a multiplayer thing, the form really limits one's opportunity for storytelling. Also, I'm no good at multiplayer, I usually just get pounded and that's not much fun for me or anyone I'm playing with.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
vcap

Post by vcap »

In "Selling Bats to Merfolk"

side 2 (the five merman fighters that appear at the start of the scenario) and side 4 (Tikitiki) are hostile to each other.
This means that Tikitiki will often be slaughered by his kinfolk in the very first turn.

Adding:

Code: Select all

team_name=4
user_team_name=_"Merfolk"
in side 2 definition, seems to do the trick. (what is side 3 for, btw?)
boru

Post by boru »

I thought I put that back the way it belonged ... actually they are all supposed to be side two and there should be no side three.

I'll post an update this afternoon.
============================
EDIT: Bugfix posted.
Last edited by boru on August 1st, 2010, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vcap

Post by vcap »

Wow, that sure is a fast response.
boru wrote:actually they are all supposed to be side two and there should be no side three.
That make sense.
boru wrote:I'll post an update this afternoon.
Another thing, i'm not sure it is an error but when loading "Rogue's reward" and "Ride the Wolf",
the game complains (on stderr on linux, not sure where it goes in windows) that:

Code: Select all

20100801 18:35:23 error display: Tile at -999,-999 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
20100801 18:35:23 error display: Tile at -999,-999 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
20100801 18:37:18 error display: Tile at -999,-999 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
20100801 18:37:18 error display: Tile at -999,-999 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
(the message is printed twice for each).
It's mostly cosmetic anyway, it doesn't prevent anything run correctly.
boru

Post by boru »

Bugfix posted. Please download, if you want to play the merfolk scenario.

Oh that error message comes up in Linux too? I saw that, and figured it was only a Mac thing. Not sure what it is, the game wants to scroll to some part of the map that doesn't exist. (If you're curious, on the Mac there is a separate application called Console, where error messages of this type can be seen.)

Twenty-four

Post by Twenty-four »

Hi

Started playing swamplings today. Funny campaign! Good dialogues, interesting to play and funny new warriors!
I'm not sure if it was said before, but I have one little problem while playing: Everytime I play a scenario where one of the heros isn't there (for example in Thunderstruck, the main character isn't available), this hero starts with level one in the next scenario. This is rather nerving if you try to level up your hero and you have to start over again and again.
But, as I said, that's only a little thing. Besides, I like the campaign very much. Thank you for making it!
vcap

Post by vcap »

boru wrote:Bugfix posted. Please download, if you want to play the merfolk scenario.
Just completed it. It works.

Not sure why you made them all side 4 instead of making them side 2 and delete side 3 & 4, though.
Would be cleaner that way, methinks. Not that it matters much, anyway.
boru wrote:(If you're curious, on the Mac there is a separate application called Console, where error messages of this type can be seen.
It works pretty much the same on linux, actually.
boru

Post by boru »

Twenty-four wrote:Hi

Started playing swamplings today. Funny campaign! Good dialogues, interesting to play and funny new warriors!
I'm not sure if it was said before, but I have one little problem while playing: Everytime I play a scenario where one of the heros isn't there (for example in Thunderstruck, the main character isn't available), this hero starts with level one in the next scenario. This is rather nerving if you try to level up your hero and you have to start over again and again.
But, as I said, that's only a little thing. Besides, I like the campaign very much. Thank you for making it!
Twenty-four, thanks very much for your comments.

I had a lot of similar issues with the earlier versions of the campaign, due to the fact that my testing usually would only focus on one scenario at a time, and so I missed some parts where the experience of the characters should have been saved and carried over. So, to answer your question, yes, it has been said before, I have worked on the problem and thought it was completely fixed, but apparently it is not.

I just now found the point after Thunderstruck where Clammie reappears as a level 1 with no XP. :? Please let me know if there's anywhere else this happens with any other character. I don't see it anywhere else in the game, otherwise I would have already fixed it. My goal is to make the campaign error-free, as well as funny and enjoyable.

I can fix this and post another update today. However, if you can tell me of other places where this happens, it will save me from annoying everyone with my constant updates.

I can tell you that it's very simple to advance your units using debug or "cheat" codes, so if you know that Clammie ought to be level two and the scenario starts with him as level one, you have every right to correct this with debug. To advance a unit by one level do this:

* type : (the colon key)
* then debug
* press return key
* you'll get a prompt that says "debug mode activated"
* point to a unit with your cursor
* type :unit advances=1
* press return key

-----------------

EDIT:
vcap wrote:Just completed it. It works.

Not sure why you made them all side 4 instead of making them side 2 and delete side 3 & 4, though.
Would be cleaner that way, methinks. Not that it matters much, anyway.
There's a microbe of method to my madness. I plan to implement another difficulty level for the campaign and I may need those sides for an additional team. Bugfixes first, of course.

-----------------

I just uploaded v1.0.2 which will fix the Clammie XP bug in scenario 12. Sorry for doing two updates so close together, but I believe this will actually make people less peed off than losing all their leader's XP.

Twenty-four

Re: Swamplings - v1.0.2 - 16 scenarios complete

Post by Twenty-four »

Thanks for the quick answer! And thanks for your solution!

I think it doesn't happen more often. I haven't seen it again, I think. But, not sure if you have also fixed that: Clammie is not the only one who starts again on level one, it's the same problem with Kennison there (just after Thunderstick).

And again: Thanks for the brilliant campaign!
boru

Re: Swamplings - v1.0.2 - 16 scenarios complete

Post by boru »

Twenty-four wrote:Thanks for the quick answer! And thanks for your solution!

I think it doesn't happen more often. I haven't seen it again, I think. But, not sure if you have also fixed that: Clammie is not the only one who starts again on level one, it's the same problem with Kennison there (just after Thunderstick).

And again: Thanks for the brilliant campaign!
The problem with Kennison's xp is no more. You should be able to get his correct experience back if you reload a saved game near the end of Thunderstruck (Disclaimer: I made a lot of recent changes, so this may not work with a saved game started a week or more ago. Might work, might not). Or, just use the debug "cheat" code if it's easier. (It's not really cheating if the campaign has a bug.)

vcap

Post by vcap »

boru wrote: I just now found the point after Thunderstruck where Clammie reappears as a level 1 with no XP. :? Please let me know if there's anywhere else this happens with any other character. I don't see it anywhere else in the game, otherwise I would have already fixed it. My goal is to make the campaign error-free, as well as funny and enjoyable.
Just saw it happen with Eeep: in "Exodus" he was level 1 and had 41XP (only 1 more to level up) and now in "Rogue's Reward" he is still level 1 but with 0XP instead (in 1.0.2; i did not noticed this in 1.0 but maybe it was there already).