Where did you get your username from?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

Re: Where did you get your username from?

Post by Hulavuta »

This isn't really the place, but to answer your question, it's because of balance. If you want to discuss it more, I'd suggest starting a new topic though, since this topic isn't the place for it.

Damnit, Ninja'd
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Hulavuta wrote:Damnit, Ninja'd
Nah, Sapient is the ninja developer, not me.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Damnit, I was possessed for a few seconds by shadowmaster who forced me not to post.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

@Anakayub: oh! And here I was going to ask if you were from the Philippines. Interesting to find another word which is shared between Tagalog and Malay (along with itu/ito, possibly selamat/salamat, lima/lima, etc). Though, I believe in Tagalog it would be "anak ng Ayub."

Mine came from when I was…building awful Wesnoth campaigns about Saurians. I wanted to come up with a name which sounded like the other Saurians', but wouldn't show up on the random generator--a bunch of Zs and Xs obliged.
I then needed a name to sign onto online Wesnoth servers, and soon afterwords I signed up to the forums.
I think I've told this story before.

My current avatar…well, anyone who walks the same circles as I do will see. Otherwise it's not interesting.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Skizzaltix wrote:
Mine came from when I was…building awful Wesnoth campaigns about Saurians. I wanted to come up with a name which sounded like the other Saurians', but wouldn't show up on the random generator--a bunch of Zs and Xs obliged.
I then needed a name to sign onto online Wesnoth servers, and soon afterwords I signed up to the forums.
I think I've told this story before.

I remember I asked if your username was a saurian name, and you said yes. That was probably it.
~Sierra
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Mine's pretty obvious. I almost wish I hadn't chosen it because it's so overused. For those who don't know the obvious - it's after Cloud Strife from FF7.

My more commonly used nick (SoftlySplinter, which you'll see on IRC, amongst other things) ' comes from the song 'Sandblasted and set Free' by Maxïmo Park (to be specific the line "Thin Ice Softly Splinters").

I would ask for a change, but I've been know by that alias for so long here it doesn't really seem that worth pestering someone with the power to do so.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
IPS

Post by IPS »

Literally of anywhere.

I wanted to be named Inteligence_Precision_Skill but the name is to long ... so I have did a short of Inteligence_Precision_Skill. It was just I_P_S, but after I erased the _ becuase it look weird.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Is it just me or has this topic been up at least 2-3 times already...? I remember posting a reply to a similar "where you got your username" topic to this awhile back...

In either case...

Nickname: SpoOky (somehow I got this from skateboarding when I was younger... No comment...)
Other half: Used to be a magician when I was younger... (I still know a lot of tricks but, magic is so pointless to me now these days...)

So yea... "SpoOky" + "Magician" == username. (I just made the 'S' 'O' and 'M' in lobby to make it look better...)
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

spookymagician wrote:Is it just me or has this topic been up at least 2-3 times already...? I remember posting a reply to a similar "where you got your username" topic to this awhile back...
Notice the date of the OP. Remember that autopruning used to be in effect here.

And don't use the reporting system as a "Suggestions & Complaints" system. It's intended to be used to report abuse, not random ideas.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

shadowmaster wrote:Notice the date of the OP. Remember that autopruning used to be in effect here.
so, autopruning no longer is used but, it used to be? (If I understood that correctly... *googles auto-pruning* ...okay) That would make sense. I also already seen the OP's date. That is what made me stop and think... (because I thought the topic already existed in the past...)
shadowmaster wrote:And don't use the reporting system as a "Suggestions & Complaints" system. It's intended to be used to report abuse, not random ideas.
Yea, that was a bad idea... sorry about that. (that's why i wrote a comment to ignore just in case. anyway, I won't do that anymore.)
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Leid

Post by Leid »

I didn't noticed this thread.

My nickname comes of some spanish words. I love to read, and I thoughted that "readed" ("Leido" in spanish) could be a good name. But to be not related with the reading, I shortened it to "Leid".

Casually, searching my name in google, i noticed that "Leid" is a german word too, and it means "pain". I didn't know it when I catch my nickname... :hmm:
The creator of "City Defense", a 2P survival on the add-ons list.

Visite my Art Gallery!
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30931
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Wondered myself if you know the German meaning.
Question answered. :)

For mine? Well hard to tell.
Know me better and you'll know why.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I assumed it was a reference to the Germanic god Wotan, also know as "the wayfarer".
no?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well you always learn something new. Really interesting.

No actual I didn't know it, actual it comes from my quite restless character and my appreciation for a certain Portrait from one of my favorite artists.

But this one sounds also intriguing. :mrgreen:
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
cretin

Post by cretin »

cretin sounded awesome until i figured out what it actually meant.