League of Legends - Season 1

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jozrael

Re: League of Legends - Season 1

Post by Jozrael »

Yea, it's rough for newer players especially (as the people who leave most are often newer players). In my last 100 games I've had less than a dozen leavers, whereas I know newer players that have had a dozen leavers in half a dozen games :P. Just won a 4v5 yesterday, it's such an epic feeling to beat the odds xD.

As for Zilean, absolutely. Do you know about alt-casting your spells? Clutch saves with his ult feel so good :D. I mained Zilean early in my LoL career, but I still dabble from time to time :).
cretin

Post by cretin »

his ultimate is fun to play with, especially if you're low on health, cast it and use it as bait to get the enemy to go after you. saving people with it pisses people off so much. and time bomb is a blast. do you happen to know if casting 2 timebombs on the same target doubles the damage or just makes it go off faster?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

When you cast a timebomb on a target, it goes off 4 seconds later. However, if you rewind yourself and recast it, the first bomb immediately explodes, and the 4 second cooldown is refreshed as the second one is placed on it. So yes, if you q-w-q, you get double damage.

Good players will notice that your ult is placed on someone (there is a distinctive sound and an animation of hourglasses circling you) and react accordingly. If you place it too early, the proper reaction is often just to focus someone else in the teamfight for 15 seconds. It's still fantastic, just there are ways to properly play against it.

Personally lategame my favorite is his movement spell. Constant haste or slow is fantastic xD.

EDIT: Pentarctagon stop starting games without meee xD
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Valinor wrote:Do you have any tips for Kayle-The Judicator, items, tactics, whatever?
I play a fair bit of dota, but have only recently been introduced to LoL.
It seems I missed this Valinor, sorry :<.

Kayle is a support, if offensively inclined since her remake. For items, nashor's tooth is godlike on her. She can spam quite a bit, so the 25% cdr is a godsend. Extra mana and ap to help her spam more and harder, plus extra aspd for her e...what's not to like?

If you're going the hybrid route a rageblade might make things all the more lulzy. When max stacked it has fantastic stats per gold, and its easy to keep it that way on her with casting w and e as you run to the next fight.

Her ult is a bit tricky to use now with the very short cd. If you've got great reflexes, just use it on whoever is being initiated on in a teamfight, probably you or your carry. Don't waste it on the tank if they can take it.

In early laning, grab a bit of mana regen from runes/masteries and spam her q for some healthy harass. Lemme know if you have any more questions!

@Pentarctagon: Just lemme know when it's your turn to play, I'd love to get a game in tonight. Who's rotating out next?
Valinor

Post by Valinor »

Thanks for the tips, I am still trying to learn the items.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

actually, its about 10PM here, so everyone's gone now. I'll probably be on again in about an hour (though I'll probably be slaughtered by whoever we play against since you're lvl 30).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I'ma play a few TTs while I wait for ya. Pleeease don't start w/o!
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Which server are you guys on? EU or US?

If you're EU then add me, I'm either "Daravel" or "Sinnie" - I dont remember if you add summoner or account name.

Part of Pentarctagon's problem may be that he is playing against smurfs (experienced players who have made another account), and therefore being hit by people with up to a years experience over him!
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

We're on US unfortunately :<. You add the summoner name (as others don't know the account name). This is to increase security.
Smurfs can be a problem, but if you're truly new you generally drop off their radar by losing a game here and there. Most smurfs have unbroken winstreaks (or at least mine do :P) unless they're played for a serious amount of time.
Valinor

Post by Valinor »

My name on the US server is Ethereon.

I am looking to buy another hero soon, and was wondering if there was one you would recommend for someone who is fairly new to LoL although familiar with Dota, and who's hero type of choice is carry?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Early game dominance, lategame mediocrity: Pantheon.
Invisible newb-stomper, fantastic teamfighter: Twitch.
Most damage evOMG its Yi: Yi
Kiter + good initiate: Ashe
Long range harasser: Ezreal
Massive AoE shredding: Corki
Great pusher/lategame teamfighter: Sivir

Those are most dps-carries. It really depends on your style. Unless you're top Elo (and no one here is), what matters is skill not champion choice specifically. Every champion has certain Elo brackets that hey are well suited for, but it's the player that makes them own.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

How do you know I'm not high-Elo? :P

I haven't played ranked properly yet, but I'm between 1300-1400. So I'm actually high-mid.

Personally I play Ezreal and karthus - 2 casters that can truly wreck a team in a team fight. Shen is my tank of choice when needed.

I bought vladimir when he was released, and he is serious fun! Still learning him though.

As for a good champ to buy if you're new: Ryze/Ashe :)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

@Daravel: I was really addressing Valinor with the 'not high Elo' comment, but imo rank doesn't matter overly much until the season's been underway for a bit longer. Also I have an unfortunate tendency to be a snob and unconsciously only rate competitive players instead of the entire playerbase. 1400 is certainly above average in view of the entire playerbase. Since most of my peers are council, I tend to have a skewed version of what high Elo is. TL;DR: Sorry, I shouldn't imply that no one was high Elo, I was just unaware.

If only you were US :<. I don't really enjoy playing on EU overly much with slightly higher latency and...going back to like a level 5 :P. I don't blame you for not playing US for the same reasons ^^.

Also, Ryze ftw :3. I know he's a newb's champ but goodness do I play him just fine in 1500s Elo. Once I start poking my head over like 1550 I start getting into super srs land where Ryze is simply not as viable a pick (or rather I can't outplay my opponents with him anymore :<).
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Heh, don't worry. My comment was 'tongue in cheek'.

I used to play on the US server, back when Riot didn't even tell anyone the EU one existed; then someone posted it in the forums and I switched sntantly - Unfortunately it was under the management of GOA and actually worse in some ways. However, Riot's takeover hasn't been much better. Double IP weekend right now, isn't it? Server was down for 7 hours last night (4th time this week).

I gave up on Ryze for fiddle, then when Ez came out I jumped on him and rolled face. Then I discovered Karthus, who is just awesome. Cleanse is a hard counter to Ryze; if you don't have them rune prisoned then they just run from your flux.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I actually focus on overload rather than flux, and play a very, very tanky Ryze. I don't count on gibbing them in one combo but focus on sustained damage and just not dying.

EDIT: Also, servers have been quite unstable (although I've had generally good experiences) since the start of season 1; Riot has people working around the clock upgrading the service to improve it, though.