SX Development

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Golbeeze

Re: SX Development

Post by Golbeeze »

I'll download it and see if it crashes for me. I use windows. I'll give you my stderr when / if I crash.

EDIT: So I downloaded it and it froze when I tried to play a game. Then I checked stderr and it was unhelpful. I started wesnoth up again and it worked fine. However, I don't see any SXC scenarios in my list...The add-on looks fine when I check the files, but no SXC scenarios show up in my multiplayer host options.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
pkz

Post by pkz »

I know the problem now.

Conflicting macros from Mabuse's pack.

If you have Mabuses map-pack then SXC will crash. If you dont have it, SXC runs fine. This is what i have been told anyways. I still can not test it, because it still works for me with Mabuses pack installed (maybe a linux thing as i though before, no idea) I will go through Mabuses script tomorrow and find where the conflict is coming from. I have a feeling that we share some variable names.

Until we get the solved, in order to play SXC try removing Mabuses pack. Install his when you want to play his, then remove when you want to play SXC. This will be solved soon.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Any idea why no SXC scenarios show up for me? :(

EDIT: Ok so I tried to install both SXC and Mabuse's SX RPG Addon and it didn't crash. I still can't see any SXC scenarios. My stderr only had this:

Code: Select all

20100723 21:07:56 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
20100723 21:07:56 error engine: could not de-serialize unit: 'game_error: creating unit with an empty type field'
20100723 21:12:21 error ai/goal: bad protection radius of protect_goal
20100723 21:12:35 error ai/goal: bad protection radius of protect_goal
20100723 21:12:46 error ai/goal: bad protection radius of protect_goal
20100723 21:12:58 error ai/goal: bad protection radius of protect_goal

pkz

Post by pkz »

well :

that is probably gladiators if you have it installed (it does that one for me).

that could be an era, or posibly a bad recruit type, but should not crash game (i get a lot of those from AE)

this may sound like a dumb question but, did you try deleting it (the SXC dir) completely then doing a fresh install?
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

pkz wrote:But now it seams its crashing for most pesple. At this point i am having trouble finding the problem, as i do not get it. It may be because i use linux, where most people may be using windows. I have been unalble to get a good error log, i have seen the screen you gave me (thanks), but it does not tell me much. what i need it the terminal output from the crash. But i have been told that the windows version of wesnoth does not show any output. Can any windows users tell me what they need to do to see terminal output from wesnoth? (i have not used windows in well over 5 years)
Well, according to this, i don't think there's a way to get a terminal output on windows, except by compiling the game oneself. But the game doesn't crash, it just refuse to load the addon.
pkz wrote:Last its actually not version 1.2 or 1.4 its 0.12 and 0.14 as you have noticed, i am a long way from 1.0 :)
Modified :oops:
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I myself use Mac, but I have been told that crash and error reports for Windows BfW can be found in "stderr.txt", wherever it may be.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Dixie wrote:I myself use Mac, but I have been told that crash and error reports for Windows BfW can be found in "stderr.txt", wherever it may be.
True, but there is the same error message i had on the screen:
stderr.txt

Code: Select all

20100724 08:03:55 error config: error reading usermade add-on 'C:/JEUX/Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg'
20100724 08:03:55 error general: The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
C:/JEUX/Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Missing closing tag for tag then at ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5125 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5102 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5026 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:2558 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1414 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1307 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Simple.cfg:360 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21, value '' at ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5126 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5102 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5026 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:2558 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1414 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1307 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Simple.cfg:360 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21

20100724 08:08:49 error general: The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
C:/JEUX/Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Missing closing tag for tag then at ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5125 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5102 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5026 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:2558 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1414 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1307 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Simple.cfg:360 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21, value '' at ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5126 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5102 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:5026 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:2558 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1414 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/macros/SXCmacros.cfg:1307 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Advanced.cfg:3 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/scenarios/SXC_Simple.cfg:360 included from ~add-ons/SXCollective/_main.cfg:21
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

@pkz: I checked my stderr BEFORE installing both SXC and SX RPG addon and what I've pasted is the NEW text. There was a bit more to the stderr, but it had already been there (and thus had nothing to do with either SX addons).

pkz

Post by pkz »

Good News, seems to be working again.

I still have not been able to reproduce the error on my system, but have had a lot of help from Lester and Nerelf who do have the error. I updated server with a copy that should be working now.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

pkz wrote: Conflicting macros from Mabuse's pack.

I will go through Mabuses script tomorrow and find where the conflict is coming from.
I have a feeling that we share some variable names.
i dont think so.

because the macros which are used are loaded from the SCN.CFG file.
(and not: all macros are used generally)

so i f you play a map, the macros are loaded from it. no matter if there are other macros with the same name in another add on.
the same thing is awith variables - it doesnt matter if different add ons (this is also true for ALL other add ons on the server) use the same name for a variable, because the variable is anyway only used for the add-on you are currently using.

its extremely unlikely that all add-ons that can be found on the add-on server use all different variables, and due to this you could also say that ADD_on XYZ causes an error because it uses the same variable. thats not the way it works anyway.
so if you think my add on causes this due to the same varaiable, it could be as well another add on.
or any addon that is written by someone in the future may cause a conflict then. but to clarify: this is not possible

eras (and all things related to them (abilities etc.) are always loaded and terrain is always loaded
so when using new terain you should ensure that it will not cause conflicts with other terrains.

but everything which is loaded from the scn.cfg (i.e. the macros in sx) are only used for the add on that you are currently playing.

if 0.14 sxc is buggy its most likely no problem of my pack
these macro conflicts dont exist, i never heard of a conflict of SCN-related macros between add-ons (because it isnt possible) (conflicts between era and terrain is possible), and if it woudl be possible there woudl be a big flaw in the wml concept. because you cant make sure that 100th of people who load up content to the server all use different variables and/or macros ;)
at least i never had problems in this way. even though most of the macros im using have the same names as some macors from the "OLD default SX EXTREME" (1.6 version)

but the kind of error you have :

"missing closing tag" at a position where no error at all exists is almost ALWAYS produced due to a missing " somewhere.
this kind of bug is hard track down if you made many changes at once without checking it.

i wonder a bit that you dont have this error, if many other people have it.
(in this case i most certainly think that the problem is something else)

what i really wanted to say:
-------------

IF you want that the SX ADD ON pack be included into the collection i must insist that i do it because i plan to keep them in the main directory and not "merge" them into already existing directory), and i also need of course the *pbl file to update it whenever i want it.

there will be some very slight changes (optically improvements for example), until the new maps are added.
also i will put all the new terrains (which are loaded into the editor of course) into an own sub-category (by now they are distributed among the existing categories for easy to use purpose, but this may irritate some users)

most likely i will be able to work a bit on it at monday, and of course i hope for a nice test game

and good luck finding the bug, of course im willing to cooperate, but i would be careful if you state that another add on is resposible for problems in your add on, except new terrain i never expierienced problems with conflicts (and in this case it also more easy to change your version than to force someone to chnge his version ;)), and i already used same MACRO names in past wesnoth as other add ons, conflicts here are not possible, imo
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Nerelf

Post by Nerelf »

Well i have had a problem with previous version of SXC and SX RPG ADDON, uppon installing SX/RPG ADDON the SXC pack threw out an error, however i tried it again today (im using the older version of SXC atm and newer of SX/RPG ADDON) everything worked fine, so the problem seems to be gone.

I remember such problems in previous versions of wesnoth also, with different version of orocia. It happened before that one addon was causing problems with another.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Mabuse wrote: but the kind of error you have :

"missing closing tag" at a position where no error at all exists is almost ALWAYS produced due to a missing " somewhere.
this kind of bug is hard track down if you made many changes at once without checking it.
btw, also if you use the new pango markup, mif you accidentally type in a '<<' or '>>' instead of '<' and '>'

it will also cause bugs like that.
so i suggest checking these things first.

@Nerelf:
----------
but what you describe can be also just a coincidence.

for example - did the new sxc version (0.14) work without SX ADD ON istalled ? How often did you try it to verrify this observation ?
or did it instead happen that the old SXC version worked, and then you installed the new one (0.14) and AT THE SAME time the sxaddon and then when you restarted it didnt work anymore ? (in this case you never ran the new sxc version alone)
this things are very important to be checked before such statements are made (in public).

as said, i CANNOT imagine that SX ADD ON will cause problems with SXC - at least as long they are seperated from each other.

it COULD (will i dont know exaclty) be a complete different case if we merge them together - in this case problems could be imaginable. though i think these things could be solved if they show up (anyway you can be sure IF i put my stuff into the collection i'll make sure that it works).

right now it appears to me that the new version has a simple (but annoying) bug. the only thing i wonder about is that PKZ didnt encounter an error when he tried his version, this is very ODD.

i absolutely cant help on that matter anyway, i can jsut continue working on the new pack and improve it.

things that will be added to the new version:
---------------------------------------------

- the new terrain will be cut out from the editor
(just because it may confuse people, who may think that the terrian is standard terrain from wesnoth and then they use it, but it cannot be used without the add-on pack installed)
and since it cant be used anyway without pack, it just clutters up the editor.

- i may check what colors can be used for the 9th player (ai)

- maybe other changes
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

so new version is out:

- new terrain hidden from editor
(you can unhide it by deleting the "#" in the main cfg)

- ai teams are hidden from observers and in statustable

- rounded the HP of ai bosses and gurads to somewhat rounder number (for example 370 to 375)
this wont hurt much, but may help a bit to get used to the new numbers

to do:
- new map ;)
- hide all new monsters from the unitinformation so it wont clutter it up
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

uh, hi. iv played SX maps alot online and i really like them, but noone seems 2 b able 2 tell me how to download them. if u could give me a URL that'd b gr8. Thanx.

Keep up the good work!!! :D
MCP

Post by MCP »

1. Make sure you have the latest branch of Wesnoth, 1.8.x

2. Use the "add-ons" button on the main menu of your Wesnoth program.

3. Click "sort by author"
Type in Mabuse, get his add on.
Type in pkz, and get that add on as well.

4. Have fun.

ps I'm already in the hall of fame. Self-inducted.
pps Mabuse I will get back to you about a Tutorial, as I said I would a while back.