TSG, sprites reedition

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Fog

Re: TSG, sprites reedition

Post by Fog »

Also, though you may already be aware of it, the shadow changes saturation(CMIIW).
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Well, when I Wrote that "I still must to depure some pixels" I'm talking about all those little imperfeccions (blurring, feather,shadows,etc).....My intention was to produce a breathing feeling and ask for your impression, and some of you have analized little imperfeccions with no importance and easy to correct, instead of that. :? Despite that, I assume that I must to improve the blurring and the excessive exageration. I will try....
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If you had said you still needed to "clean up" the frames, we would have understood your intent. ("Depure" means the right thing, but it is so uncommon that I didn't know it existed, and I'm a native English speaker.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I think it's a great idea, ryging. I've always wanted to try something like this, but always told myself it wouldn't be possible at sprite scale without being grossly exaggerated... then you come along and do it anyway. 8) And since you plan on fixing the blurring and reducing the exaggeration a bit, this will make an excellent standing animation. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I wish you luck on this. :) I'm not sure one can make such a smooth movement as you did over 2 pixels without some blurriness. It's either that, less frames or uneven movement. Guess you have to find the right middle ground. If you're having difficulty I'd suggest to maybe making the movement a little more pronounced. I'm not sure. I know I posted that I thought it might get annoying if everyone on the field bobbed around as much as the saurians I'm doing, but after actually seeing those units in game I believe I was full of BS - It works well.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

Right, I also thought that was impossible make the breathing in that small scale. But one day I see this image on pixelation forum:

http://pete.ptoing.net/BATMAN_Idle_S.gif

....and now I know is possible. The tecnique of that pixel artist is awesome. I'm analizing it for not to use the blur effect....
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yeah, ptoing is quite sharp.

Whoops, apparently it's ptoing's friend, sharing space on ptoing's website. This guy:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/4921.htm

The above still stands, though.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

probably one of the most dificult animations I have tried, I really fight against pixels. But think I got something enought good to show. I decided to abandon the blur method to try with pure pixel art. Also, I modified something of the original baseframe, as the shadow or shield's movement. :) :)
Attachments
standing.gif
standing.gif (5.14 KiB) Viewed 6008 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks great. I'll commit it as soon as I can. How about a defending animation and a leading animation? =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

I don't quite understand what's going on with the helmet. It doesn't move, yet the lighting changes :hmm: . Also, just as an idea, maybe you could move the shield up and down one pixel, instead of just rolling it back and forth.

Edit: To show what I mean,
Idle_Anim.gif
Idle_Anim.gif (78.02 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
Bad_Dog

Post by Bad_Dog »

It's reflecting the weapon. Seems realistic to me.
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

@king elendil: well....I don't know if the next explanation will satisfy your doubts: on animation that must to be the most subtle and soft as possible, you can't move a pixel the way you say. Instead of that, it is better to change the color of the pixel to produce the "moving" perception. :eng: This is the lesson I learnt the last days working on it.... Another discussion is if I have worked this method enough fine. :?
Daxion

Post by Daxion »

The problem to me seems to be:
the highlight moves, and gives the impression of the helmet moving.
However the slit for the eyes remains stationary.

Together this gives a rather "wierd" impression, of moving and staying stationary at the same time.
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

Daxion wrote:The problem to me seems to be:
the highlight moves, and gives the impression of the helmet moving.
However the slit for the eyes remains stationary.
Bingo that's what I saw.
rhyging5 wrote:@king elendil: well....I don't know if the next explanation will satisfy your doubts: on animation that must to be the most subtle and soft as possible, you can't move a pixel the way you say. Instead of that, it is better to change the color of the pixel to produce the "moving" perception. :eng: This is the lesson I learned the last days working on it.... Another discussion is if I have worked this method enough fine. :?
That makes a lot of sense, but in this case with the eye-slit not moving, it just doesn't look right to me. Maybe if you changed the lighting on it with the rest of the helmet, it might look better.

Edit:
Tet wrote:But please get professionel feedback from our pixel masters.
That doesn't include me. I'm just part of the peanut gallery, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :wink:
Last edited by King_Elendil on July 23rd, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
Tet

Post by Tet »

It is really cool.

For me the chestplate is moving to much. It is out of sync with the rest of the armor/body and basically shifting up and down. More like the helmet would be my suggestion.

But please get professionel feedback from our pixel masters.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895