Show your sprites!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Speedbrain

Re: Show your sprites!

Post by Speedbrain »

But look how far you've come. That's more important.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

True. Although it's even more important that I come even further :mrgreen: (ideally I'd like to contribute something to mainline at some point in the future, if for nothing else than personal satisfaction).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

artisticdude wrote:True. Although it's even more important that I come even further :mrgreen: (ideally I'd like to contribute something to mainline at some point in the future, if for nothing else than personal satisfaction).
Oh, trust me. You'll be there soon. In fact, I'd say that people'll be knocking on your door as often as they do mine in search for sprites within a very short time. Really, the only thing stopping you right now is an unfortunate tendency to gravitate towards desaturation and stiff posture.

One thing you should try, though, is watching stick animations. That's my ultimate secret to dynamic poses- watching little stick figures do ninja moves and stuff. I even made a few, on sticky notes, for practice.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Zerovirus wrote: Oh, trust me. You'll be there soon. In fact, I'd say that people'll be knocking on your door as often as they do mine in search for sprites within a very short time. Really, the only thing stopping you right now is an unfortunate tendency to gravitate towards desaturation and stiff posture.
hahaha, if that were your ultimate goal, I could hook you up with pirates or cowboys anytime :lol2: I just figured I wouldn't go around asking people to do art and work for my stuff and let them propose themselves, out of respect or something, you know, because they've got their own projects and interests too ;)

On the note about your first from-scratch sprite, though I think it wasn't that bad. Sure, it was scaled far too small and was clearly flat. The stick looked thin, but the sprite was so small that it'd have been harder to make it any thicker. The proportions maybe weren't matching wesnoth sprites and more real proportions, but it didn,t look diform or anything. And the pose, sure it seemed unbalance if you hold it like that for long, but it was a dynamic pose, so basically not that wrong, I think. Anyway, although my canva is by no means absolute and perfect, I'd say that a good means to reaching wesnoth-sprite proportions is to take mainline wesnoth sprites of matching races, levels and statures, and just scale on them for reference or something. Not necessarily frankenstein it, just draw some lines to have references: where the tip of the head is, the tip of the foot (for total height), the chin, shoulder, waist, knees, etc. Afterward, you can erase the sprite, just keep the lines as general guidelines. Just my two cents on the matter ;)
Last edited by Dixie on August 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I like the mounted Saurian <to me unknown Reptiloid> rider and the Drakish Dragonrider :Awesome:
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Thank You :D
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

I've tried to sprite from scratch a few times, and it's never worked out. The very idea of starting a sprite from scratch intimidates me far more than animating a pre-existing one. I'm convinced I'm a terrible designer. At least with an existing sprite I can set it up alongside a project and just colour select from it without having to worry about creating my own palette. :P
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, (and others such as zerovirus can disagree ;) ) I've found that it helps deciding the pose and looks first. I usually try a few poses myself, then hand-draw it with a pen and paper, so I get a good idea of how the limbs are gonna be positionned, foreshortening, etc. Sure, proportions and stuff changes a lot when doing the actual sprite, but it has helped me greatly have a sense of direction.

Also, I don't do everything all at once: first, I just draw the shape/outlines in jet-black until I'm mostly satisfied with it (it changes a bit sometimes when shading), second, I color the outlines and apply the flat colors (at this point, it really feels like doing cheap sprites for a NES game :lol2: ) and then I shade (although colors and shadings are my actual weak point, imo). I'm really a bad palette designer too, so I usually go steal palettes from other sprites that I like/have good ones for the general color schemes I want.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Palletes are hard. Palletes are really hard. Hence why I tend to borrow palletes from other sprites and edit them as necessary instead of making one from scratch. A scratched pallete by itself can take an hour or so for me.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Zerovirus wrote:Palletes are hard. Palletes are really hard.
Which is why I tend to like creating armored dudes... I draw up my own palettes most of the time, and they tend to be rather monochromatic, which lends itself to the creation of armored dudes. :whistle:

I sometimes enjoy hanging out at Pixel Joint and stealing people's palettes for my own use. :P
IPS

Post by IPS »

I was triying with mounted units, but them are so hard.

overall the horses one, bigger creatures to be mounted is so more easier :/

Hey, what do you think about my posted sprites?
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

IPS wrote:Hey, what do you think about my posted sprites?
If you're looking for critique, you'd be better off posting in the Art Workshop. :wink:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Especially because that's what the art workshop has been established as a separate forum from the art contribs forum for! :eng:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Here's something I just came up with, as an exercise in skin tones, musculature, and tentacles (partially inspired by the movie Alien). I'm calling it the mutated extraterrestrial headless zombie who lifts weights.
Warning: Minor Gore Element:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

What the hell. I'm guessing that used to be a peasant? :hmm:

Ehh, it's a nice practice... thing.