(1.8) 1v1 Campaign: Tug of War v0.4.0

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MrEPIC

(1.8) 1v1 Campaign: Tug of War v0.4.0

Post by MrEPIC »

Hello again everyone!
I feel ready to present to you a 1v1 campaign: Tug of War. In this campaign, two large armies clash on a neutral battlefield. Then, the loser of the battle retreats to a map where he has a substantial advantage. Here, he must make his last stand and drive back the winner of the first battle. The battles will go back and forth until somebody loses on his home map. Then, the winner can have the pleasure of executing his enemy with one of several ways.
An army can retreat on any scenario as long as it has a place to which it can retreat. This means that the defending army cannot retreat.
Changelog
v0.3.0
+Original release

v0.3.1 --Thanks to Mintman, zookeeper, and Wintermute for suggestions
+Starting gold changed from 200 to 125
+Keep size on balanced map increased
+Option to retreat added (right click on leader)
+Changes to the defensive map (especially to the undead mask)
+The loser on the execution scenario is trapped in a cage

v0.3.2 --Thanks to Ukraneean and jw013
+There's now an allusion in one of the execution methods
+The cave and lava bridges of the execution scenario have been changed to chasm bridges
+Retreat now only saves unit within the maximum movement radius of the leader

v0.3.3
+Using an era besides default will no longer crash the game when reinforcements are generated
+Small changed to village placement on the defensive map
+Undead map looks even more dark (winter forest replaces most trees)

v0.3.4
+I forgot to change the objective note of the starting map during the last update
+Small typo in the starting message
+Units recalled in the next scenario are no longer still slowed or poisoned if they had one of these statuses at the end of the previous scenario

v0.3.5 --Much thanks to Caphriel for his help
+Changes to the first map which should give Loyalists and Undead better mobility
+One village on the first map was moved to decrease first player advantage
+Village placement is more even on all masks of the defensive map
+Orc mask of the defensive map has more hills in some areas
+Reinforcement on the defensive map does not include a level 2 anymore
+Retreating only works after turn 8
+Retreating does not takes place until the turn after you select it

v0.3.6 --Credit goes to Spanish Inquisitor and Truper
+Reinforcements do not arrive until turn 8
+New execution method added: The Execution Chamber

v0.4.0
+You can now start the game on a random default map
+Changes (mostly visual) to my start map
+Reinforcements consist of only 2 level 1 units
+Retreat menu should no longer be available before turn 8 after the start scenario
Known Issues
-If you retreat, the game reports that you are victorious
-If you retreat, fog clearers are spawned in the top left corner. This is intentional (so not an issue)
-If you do not have the addon and you advance to a new scenario, the game reports LUA errors (ignore these)
-The 'death' of the leader is reported by the statistics page
Bear in mind that there are many combinations of factions and that I cannot guarantee balance between all of them unless you post feedback here.
In addition, I'd love to add any creative suggestions about new methods of execution.
Last edited by MrEPIC on June 11th, 2010, 12:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
3 player co-op campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.6.19)
1v1 campaign: Tug of War (v0.4.0)
Cruz

Re: (1.8) 1v1 Campaign: Tug of War v0.3.3

Post by Cruz »

Can't wait to get home and try it:P
deoxy

Re: (1.8) 1v1 Campaign: Tug of War v0.3.6

Post by deoxy »

I LOVE this idea - I tried to implement something like this back in 1.4 (or maybe 1.2 - haven't played much in a LONG time), using a base scenario by Ken Oh.

One thing... I was playing against the computer (haven't had time to try it against a human opponent), and I beat him, then retreated (started on the other side of the map... was that intentional?), beat him, then retreated... and started on the original map again AS THE COMPUTER'S SIDE.

????

Yeah, it was weird. I mean, yes, I had the full recall list for that faction, not my own recall list, and everything. I was playing as the second player, if that matters.

Haven't had a chance to look into the WML myself yet (kinda scared to - haven't looked at any WML since I last briefly tried to update my Tamers era to 1.6, back when 1.6 first came out).
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

deoxy wrote:I LOVE this idea - I tried to implement something like this back in 1.4 (or maybe 1.2 - haven't played much in a LONG time), using a base scenario by Ken Oh.
Ukraneean deserves all credit for this idea. But I definitely am glad you like it.
deoxy wrote: One thing... I was playing against the computer (haven't had time to try it against a human opponent), and I beat him, then retreated (started on the other side of the map... was that intentional?)
Yes, that is intentional (although unnecessary for the starting map). Basically, in order to make sure that the defensive and execution maps spawn players in the correct locations, the losing side always spawns into player 1's starting location.
deoxy wrote: One thing... I was playing against the computer (haven't had time to try it against a human opponent), and I beat him, then retreated (started on the other side of the map... was that intentional?), beat him, then retreated... and started on the original map again AS THE COMPUTER'S SIDE.

????

Yeah, it was weird. I mean, yes, I had the full recall list for that faction, not my own recall list, and everything. I was playing as the second player, if that matters.

Woah that is very strange! So, as I understand it, the first time you retreated it worked correctly, but then the second time you did so the game gave you control of the AI side. First off, I need to ask from where you reloaded (assuming you did) the game. If you did from the main menu, then that may have something to do with this. Multiplayer games should always be reloaded from the game creation screen.
In any case, I'd like to see a save file and I certainly will do some of my own testing into this.
deoxy wrote: Haven't had a chance to look into the WML myself yet (kinda scared to - haven't looked at any WML since I last briefly tried to update my Tamers era to 1.6, back when 1.6 first came out).
Well it shouldn't be too bad :D . But I didn't comment the code... so if you have any questions post here.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Hm, you know, I think I did load it from the main menu - I almost never load games at all, really, since I seldom play large maps or anything that lasts too long (just don't have large blocks of time anymore... sigh).

I bet that's it.
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

deoxy wrote:Hm, you know, I think I did load it from the main menu - I almost never load games at all, really, since I seldom play large maps or anything that lasts too long (just don't have large blocks of time anymore... sigh).

I bet that's it.
Hopefully it is, and you'll have your problem fixed soon. Just make sure to reload a save from before your first reload from the main menu screen. If it still doesn't work, you can post the save file here and I'll see if I can fix it for you.
Just to let you know, you aren't the only one who has trouble with save games. Here are a few examples from another thread:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 45#p417673
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 75#p426007
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 75#p427281

Also, fellow Texan (I myself am a(n?) Houstonian), it would be great to hear your thoughts once you complete the game, and in particular any recommendations about the execution scenario (do keep in mind that the AI cannot play this level).
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

a fun campaign in fact!

some points u should reconsider:

the map looks like a field full of flowers. i like colors but this is a little too much. try to make em look more like in one season, more green or brown or grey. but not all colors crossing all over.

in scenario 2 i got some funny OOS with all units i recruited. should i just ignore that ?

overall it might be a better idea to make the first map smaller for a faster game. this first map just takes too long. alternatively, you could pick one of the normal maps we already have and implement your "take over units to the next level" there.

here a funy replay vs psychic
Attachments
Tug_of_War_(1v1_Campaign)_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
tug of war
(25 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

Rigor wrote:a fun campaign in fact!

some points u should reconsider:

the map looks like a field full of flowers. i like colors but this is a little too much. try to make em look more like in one season, more green or brown or grey. but not all colors crossing all over.

in scenario 2 i got some funny OOS with all units i recruited. should i just ignore that ?

overall it might be a better idea to make the first map smaller for a faster game. this first map just takes too long. alternatively, you could pick one of the normal maps we already have and implement your "take over units to the next level" there.

here a funy replay vs psychic
Funny OOS: Generally the OOS which cause problems are destination occupied, unfound source, or attack calculation. Things such as not enough gold to recruit can be ignored.
Map problems: Soon (once I find/borrow a usb stick), I'll update this addon with the option to choose random default map at the lobby. I'll do some more testing on my map, but I trust your experience when you say that the map is too big.
Thanks for the opinions, I'll fix this up and upload as soon as possible.
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: (1.8) 1v1 Campaign: Tug of War v0.4.0

Post by Mountain_King »

My brother was playing this add-on last night, and found a crazy error. I think it was somewhere in the second scenario. A lua error pops up in the upper left-hand corner, and the whole world goes to pot. The turns are ending themselves without any input from the player, and just going and going and going....you get the idea. Hearing [censored]-a-doodle-who! over and over again. Day night day night day night augh!!!! After about turn 500 or so (2-3 minutes) we had to "Force Quit." Why does it do this?

Edit: beginning of rooster crow is censored?
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Mountain_King wrote:beginning of rooster crow is censored?
Yeah, that word by itself is slang for the male reproductive organ. Funny that it got censored in your context though.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

Mountain_King wrote:My brother was playing this add-on last night, and found a crazy error. I think it was somewhere in the second scenario. A lua error pops up in the upper left-hand corner, and the whole world goes to pot. The turns are ending themselves without any input from the player, and just going and going and going....you get the idea. Hearing [censored]-a-doodle-who! over and over again. Day night day night day night augh!!!! After about turn 500 or so (2-3 minutes) we had to "Force Quit." Why does it do this?

Edit: beginning of rooster crow is censored?
Hi Mountain King, this happens when there are only empty sides at the start of the game and I have seen this before when I was testing, but only when it was a battle between 2 AI sides. Also to my knowledge the lua error does not have anything to do with the endless turns bug:
Known Issues wrote:-If you do not have the addon and you advance to a new scenario, the game reports LUA errors (ignore these)

Sorry, based on your description alone I cannot determine the cause, but if you could give further details (such as if there was any AI side, control was changed sometime in the first scenario, or it was a reload), but I can say that if this was a local game the probable cause was that the game was reloaded at some point from the "Load" option at Wesnoth's main screen.
If you could attach a save file I might be able to find the problem/repair the save.
Thank you for your patience.