Not black&white campaign?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wendek

Not black&white campaign?

Post by Wendek »

Hi all!

(previously entitled "Chaos campaign?", but since this one doesn't exist it seems, I changed the title to have more answers concerning other campaigns)

So, I like campaigns that are not completely black&white story-wise, needless to say I especially enjoyed Descent Into Darkness for its atmosphere. IftU, UtBS and others too, but DiD remains my favorite -maybe replaced by "Bitter Revenge", the UMC campaign I played not so long ago that I really enjoyed-.

Anyway, my point being, I like the "Chaos" faction from the BEEM pack and was wondering if someone ever made a campaign featuring them as something else than walking experience? I would love to see Anakes too from the same era but it seems even less likely to happen.

I have obviously searched the add-ons list but sometimes the name or description doesn't really tell anything and well, there are a lot of them so I thought I could ask you some help :). Basically I'm asking you a list of campaigns featuring usually-hated factions as playable (with a preference for the two quoted above but Orcs, Goblins, Saurians or Nagas would be fine too) with, if possible, some plot-twists. For instance I liked the "Count Kromire" campaign -played it a year ago or something- that featured Vampires, was an original idea and if I'm not mistaken it was quite well-made.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I posted at the wrong forum, I followed the description. :)
Last edited by Wendek on July 22nd, 2010, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
monochromatic

Re: Chaos campaign?

Post by monochromatic »

AFAIK Chaos aren't featured in any campaigns, but you should feel free to make it yourself. Also note they're present in a couple UMC campaigns as enemies.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

As far as I know, there aren't any campaigns using the Chaos faction, although that would be cool...

But I bet you'd like the campaign I'm currently [silently] developing... I really need to stop dropping so many hints about that... anyway, it'll be finished and released soon...

I'll PM you when I finish and release it.

Doh ninja'd
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

@Sovereign : (as a Mass Effect player, it feels kinda odd to write that :o )I'd like to make something, but sadly I know myself and wouldn't be able to go through WML and other things, especially making the maps would most probably bore me to death. :) The only thing I could do is write a storyline, as I think my English is decent enough for it and I might get interesting ideas. In case you think of me as a parasite who only uses others' work, you should now that I wrote around 80 pages of a fantasy novel, so it's not like I only spend my time playing what other people made. :p

@Captain : It's really nasty to tease people about something they can't know. :( Now I'm gonna wonder wtf you're talking about until you finally release it. I hope your definition of "soon" isn't the same as Blizzard's though... :D
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Captain_Wrathbow

Wendek wrote:Now I'm gonna wonder wtf you're talking about until you finally release it.
:twisted: Good. ( :P )
Wendek wrote:I hope your definition of "soon" isn't the same as Blizzard's though... :D
My definition of "soon", in this context, is "within the next month".

Don't worry, now that I know you're interested, I'll PM you as soon as it's out.

But enough talking about that. Nobody's even supposed to know about it... I shouldn't have brought that up. :? :P
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:As far as I know, there aren't any campaigns using the Chaos faction, although that would be cool...
Actually there's the Invasion from the Unknown that has the Chaos faction in it. You come across them somewhere towards the middle of the campaign. (Though you never get to play them). :wink:
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen »

Welcome to the Department of Redundancy Department!
elvish_sovereign wrote:Also note they're present in a couple UMC campaigns as enemies.
I got better!
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

ShikadiLord wrote:Welcome to the Department of Redundancy Department!
elvish_sovereign wrote:Also note they're present in a couple UMC campaigns as enemies.
Even more:
Wendek wrote:Anyway, my point being, I like the "Chaos" faction from the BEEM pack and was wondering if someone ever made a campaign featuring them as something else than walking experience?
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I think it was meant like: Is there a campaign where you play Chaos instead of fighting them- which I think would be interesting: You are the big bad bully and slaughter everyone who comes your way!:twisted:
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

No. I don't want to be the "evil baddest guy", I'd just like a campaign where you play Chaos -which doesn't exist it seems- and, if possible, do something else than just invading the world. I'm sure it's possible to make an interesting campaign with people who have retained their mind but lost their soul. :)

I'll change the title of the thread -if the board allows it- to have more answers concerning Saurians/Nagas/etc campaigns.

Thanks to all who replied btw. Lol'd @ the "Department of Redudancy Department".
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Not black&white campaign?

Post by thespaceinvader »

Try Son of the Black Eye for an anti-hero campaign. It and DiD are the two most like you're describing in mainline.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Yes, I've tried it -I've browsed mainline campaigns before doing UMC ones, logically- but it's incredibly hard if I remember correctly, and well I'm not the greatest Wesnoth player. :D Besides, if I'm not mistaken it's kinda black&white as well, except the roles are inversed. DiD is just... grey, for the most part. You can't say exactly who is "evil" and who is "good", except the Orcs that don't have such an important role anyway after the first scenarios.
Captain_Wrathbow

...You are really going to like my campaign... I'm going to have to try to get that finished sooner.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Urg...this somewhat makes me want to finish up my campaign as well, it's a Saurian campaign that is intended to be story-based, but I haven't really gotten far enough into it to get to the real "juice" of the story. (I have about 8 scenarios, not nearly enough) But you can see a few grey spots about the Elves, who try to destroy the saurians in the beginning, but
Spoiler:
It takes place during Son of the Black-Eye, if you'd like to take a try at it.
Last edited by Hulavuta on July 22nd, 2010, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra