Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Major
Art Contributor

Major's Anims.

Post by Major »

Here are some animations I've done so far. Prior to (hopefully) putting them in the game some of them need touching up.
Dwarf explorer idle anim2.gif
Dwarf explorer idle anim2.gif (11.17 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Dwarf pathfinder idle anim.gif
Dwarf pathfinder idle anim.gif (20.52 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Zombie Idle Anim-3.gif
Zombie Idle Anim-3.gif (12.26 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Zombie Recruit Anim.gif
Zombie Recruit Anim.gif (10.66 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Suggestions? Critique?
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Major's Anims.

Post by thespaceinvader »

Scout: his front arm gets a lot shorter as he turns. This needs fixing. I'll do an edit to the axe blade to show you what I mean when I say it needs to point more towards camera. Also, since the whole intention of the thing was to shade his face, it ought to shade his face some...

Pathfinder: the movements of his free arm and leg are not smooth - they jump back and forth. Move them smoothly to one place, keep them there, then move them back. The motion of putting the axe away and the compass is done well - but make sure there's a third axe handle when the axe is in the bag...

Zombie: could do with a touch more motion in the legs (NOT the feet) - so rotate his body to his left slightly (this WILL require redrawing some parts of his body) when he reaches behind him, and move his legs, maybe turn his feet, to compensate.

Zombie recruit: good generally, but as Jet said about it, the hole being that far behind/above his feet makes no kinematic sense. Having it fade away/the pile of earth crumble in behind him would make more sense. And this is a general one, but the whole movement could feel more...lurchy. Currently it looks like a fit man climbing out of a hole, not a rotting corpse hauling itself out of a grave.

Keep up the good work - these are a cut above the majority, they're just not quite there yet.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Touched up the pathfinder.
Attachments
Dwarf pathfinder idle anim.gif
Dwarf pathfinder idle anim.gif (20.49 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

That looks good to me. Can you put the shadows in, and post the pngs so I can test it in-game, please =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

PNG's with shadows.
Attachments
Pathfinder idle anim.zip
(33.37 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Here is a blocking of the WC recruit anim.
Thoughts?
Attachments
Zombie Recruit Anim.gif
Zombie Recruit Anim.gif (4.46 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I reckon you should get rid of the hesitation.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looks good, however the player can't do anything during a recruit anim, so ~3 seconds is a bit much. A simple task of recruiting 6 WCs would take a minimum of 18 seconds to do without acceleration.

Of course that's not the way the game should work, but considering that we've had an open bug report for that issue for 4 years, I don't think it's very likely to change anytime soon either.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

It would be really easy to change the speed and delays.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I think your WC recruit anim is pretty good in absolute, but that somehow it has the same flaw that the other was condemned for: it looks more like a human climbing out of a hole than a reanimated corpse crawling outta its grave. Sure, it bangs his head on the floor, but after that it's the same, imho. Maybe instead of having him fall to the ground so hard and wait so long like that, you could use that as a pretext to slowly but steadily claw and crawl out of the hole, rather than really climb it. Imagine it's less deep, perhaps?

Just my thoughts on the matter :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

zookeeper wrote:Of course that's not the way the game should work, but considering that we've had an open bug report for that issue for 4 years, I don't think it's very likely to change anytime soon either.
Wesnoth isn't the only game to suffer from that particular problem. Big-budget commercial games sometimes suffer from the same issue (I'm looking at you, King's Bounty: The Legend).
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Most of the time, he's digging through stone castle floor.

(it doesn't really work for Plague convert either, as he wouldn't have to be coming from the underground then)
boru

Post by boru »

While I think this is a strong idea, and generally don't want to leave you another negative message, the vanishing hole is gonna bother me every time one of these guys is recruited. I understand why the hole has to vanish, obviously it can't just stay there, but seeing holes vanishing all over the keep is going to really be strange.

Maybe there ought to be a special necromancer's keep, with holes already built in, and skeletons, deathblades and such crawl out when recruited? And maybe that annoying radio tuning noise that's supposed to be "dark magic" would stop playing with every recruit?
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

boru wrote:While I think this is a strong idea, and generally don't want to leave you another negative message, the vanishing hole is gonna bother me every time one of these guys is recruited. I understand why the hole has to vanish, obviously it can't just stay there, but seeing holes vanishing all over the keep is going to really be strange.

Maybe there ought to be a special necromancer's keep, with holes already built in, and skeletons, deathblades and such crawl out when recruited? And maybe that annoying radio tuning noise that's supposed to be "dark magic" would stop playing with every recruit?
Or maybe he could lift a tomb-stone-like slab stone slab with he would let down afterwards, closing the hole? Or just give a kick on a dirt pile to fill the hole or something, maybe as he crawls out of it so it doesn't take even more time?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

The death animation is the zombie dissolving in a cloud of toxic fumes, mabe the zombie can be created that way too. :hmm: