[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 11 - Lake Vrug

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Historical] Scenario Review - EI 11 - Lake Vrug

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
mstefek

Re: Scenario Review - EI: Lake Vrug

Post by mstefek »

medium, 1.1.7
Not so clear, since I didn't know where should I go. I had to replay the scenario when I realized that the orks are located in the east and all my units were to far to the west.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok.
Not getting killed on the bridge, also I couldn't take advantage of my cavalary in the mountaints.
3 - You have to know where you should go, I lost too much time hoping that there is something interesting on the west side of my starting position.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The abandoned castle is unnecessary. I don't belive that you can get there with positive amount of money. If there was a way to get there faster...
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

(1) medium, 1.1.7
(2) not very difficult, 5
(3) clear, the shroud was not much trouble
(4) where did the drakes come from? (or was that another translation error) and why would owaec suggest going to that abandoned castle?
(5) trolls on the mountains at night
(6) fun (7)
(7) the gryphon was kind of lonely, maybe cheer him up a bit. :)
Jami

Post by Jami »

- Normal
-6ish, crossing the bridge without losing my Arch and red mages was fun.
-Clear, but it took me three reloads to find the troll castle
-Defeat the gryphons? I only saw drakes... and weak ones at that.
-Not being stupid with my General.
-Leveling up a horseman to a Paladin in one scenerio. (=O)
-keeping my mages alive on the ice
-Add a path to the trolls.

(Please do not reply if you are not running 1.1.1+svn, as there have been changes to the scenario since previous versions.)
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 7
3) The stated objectives are clear; finding where the enemies are you have to beat is more tricky
4) Okay
5) First fight with the trolls in the mountains was tricky; apart from that combat itself was no problem.

Working out where to go, and with what troops, was harder. I got to the abandoned castle on turn 26 or so, having seen nothing of the Troll leader and having no idea where he was (initially I assumed the abandoned castle was his, and he had wandered off into the surrounding mountains). I had to reload back from about turn 14 or so, and spend a while just wandering units around until finding the Troll castle; and then reload again to make a serious attack on it.

Since my recall list is mainly knights, white mages, and HI (with just a few swordsmen/pikemen with holy attacks), I had little available that had move 2 in mountains (and the opening dialog didn't strongly hint to me that I would need them). Dacyn in particular has move 5, and Owaec can't participate in the mountains at all.

Fortunately I had recalled a quick red mage, so he, one swordsman, and Gweddry were sent over the mountains to tackle the Troll leader, while the motley collection of move 5 spearmen that lived through the opening fight marched south and killed the Gryphon.

6) 5
7) I guess the fact that the initial wave of trolls came from the NE should have tipped me off to the location of the troll base, so perhaps it's okay as is.
YoFiffy

Post by YoFiffy »

(1) Hardest
(2) 8; there is nothing too difficult about killing either of the leaders. But at the beginning, there are way too many griffons. It was impossible to shield wounded units because the griffons would just fly around back and gain up on them. You might kill 4 griffons and a troll one turn, and the next turn 5 more griffons come and finish off all your units. There is no money to recruit more units later on. I had to cheat to get past this initial onslaught, but the rest of it was relatively easy. I also considered going east over the mountains, but this was not realistic with my unit types. I would have used all my turns just getting to the griffon leader.
(3) Clear enough.
There is not really a compelling story leading up to them taking refuge on the island, e.g., a plan for what to do when they get there other than hide from the undead for the rest of time. Which doesn't even make sense because undead can cross water, and there are plenty of shallow crossings.

Also, it's lame that trolls show up at the end. I thought this was said to be an island, devoid of any enemy presence except the wild beasts who live there? Not coherent at all.

see above

2. I would pick the other branch of the campaign next time to avoid this scenario.

More coherent story line, a better arena for fighting off the initial onslaught, e.g., can put your back to high mountains where the griffons can't get around. It worked well to force the enemies on the snow and mine on the grass, but I was using iron maulers, so they were about as weak defensively, even so.

(Please do not reply if you are not running 1.1.1+svn, as there have been changes to the scenario since previous versions.)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

YoFiffy wrote:Please do not reply if you are not running 1.1.1+svn, as there have been changes to the scenario since previous versions.
???
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jozrael wrote:
YoFiffy wrote:Please do not reply if you are not running 1.1.1+svn, as there have been changes to the scenario since previous versions.
???
Wow. Kinda old stuff. I removed it.
Benefuchs

Post by Benefuchs »

I have played this scenario now about three times and have always been defeated by turn 30 after having killed every enemy except for the Griffon leader. Where the heck does the Griffon leader hide?? :?
(Playing version 1.2.8 , medium)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Benefuchs wrote:I have played this scenario now about three times and have always been defeated by turn 30 after having killed every enemy except for the Griffon leader. Where the heck does the Griffon leader hide?? :?
(Playing version 1.2.8 , medium)
No idea. Don't play on an ancient Wesnoth? :annoyed: Get 1.5.11 or wait a couple of weeks for the real 1.6 release.
sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.6
6 or so, but I reloaded a couple of times during the initial griffon/troll attacks and to kill the troll leader as I could only get a couple of units that far in time. I don't think I could do it without reloading with the units I had.
The stated objectives are clear enough, how to go about it isn't clear at all.
Very little dialog and no story, this isn't a particularly strong scenario. The abandoned castle and the dialog that go with it are pointless as by the time you find it you have no money and no time left. The 'shroud' makes no sense apart from making the scenario more difficult and ensuring that success is more due to luck than judgement.
3 griffons or 3 trolls could kill any of my units in one turn at any time of day, so the initial rushes were tough, and taking to the bridge was just suicide until they had all gone.
3. Not one of my favourites by a long way.
Slow down the initial rushes of trolls and gryphons, so that they only appear one at a time (at least on easy), but keep appearing for much longer. Make it easier to get to and find the trolls, or more simply, just take the shroud off, as I don't see what its justification is and it serves nothing apart from frustrating the player. Warn that you will need mountaineering troops, maybe even provide a friendly dwarf guide or two. Add 10 turns (at least) to the time limit so that the abandoned castle can actually be useful, or move it much closer to the start.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

challenging; 1.8.3

Clear.

Are trolls considered to be orcs? The dialog seems to say so.

It took me many attempts to finally survive the Griffon assault. Just two Griffons can take out any of my critical units, so they spend their time cowering behind my strained lines. Between this and LoW's "Cliffs of Thoria", I have concluded that if a Griffon comes swooping out of the fog, the thing to do is RUN! Where there is one Griffon, there will be more, so back away from the edge of the fog and form a line.

The troll assault is well timed to strain the wounded troops after they have finished off the Griffons.

The hide-n-seek mop up operation is not really more interesting than a normal mop up operation.

Have the leaders hold some gold in reserve until you come near their keeps.
Attachments
EI-Lake_Vrug_replay.gz
(27.72 KiB) Downloaded 1161 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
2 - Knights and Shock Troopers tore through most of the troops anyway.
As with the 2nd scenario. Without knoeing it, it's not clear, bur upon knowing the map opon clear.
They're both the same as ever.
Gryphons. That's about it. The trolls somehow liked water a lot in this scenario.
8 - I like hide and seek scenarios.
As is.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.8.3, Medium, 366 starting gold

8, several restarts.

It's the usual kill everyone, but you just don't know where they are.

I don't get it, suddenly we're running to some island, where we're going to live happily ever after?

Griffins diving in at in opportune times. I managed to be in good shape for the first wave, but they can really screw you over when they show up later out of the fog, and given the terrain and time pressure, it's hard to walk around in tight formations.

Finding the chiefs. First time I wandered all of the northlands only to find an empty fort and then ran out of time never finding the griffins.

5 The bridge is a little different and fun.

Drop a clue as to where the griffins are.
Attachments
EI-Lake_Vrug_replay.gz
(26.93 KiB) Downloaded 1096 times
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

1.8.5 Easy
Good. ~4
10 Nothing wrong I can think of
Usually not getting my units killed. But that's nothing new
The main reason I'm posting this is because I felt it crossed a bit of a line that the hero was willing to kill gryphons just to facilitate running away like a coward. Personally, I would have liked to see him turn around and fight back around scenario 1 but that would require completely revamping the campaign so I won't even try to ask for that. But attempting to survive an undead invasion by hiding on an island seemed really cowardly, especially agreeing to kill gryphons for it. It's not that I had any particular fondness for gryphons but between the undead and the gryphons, our heroes seem to have made the wrong choice. Wouldn't it make more sense if the island was occupied by orcs/nagas/undead that outran the heroes?