Conquest of the Fallen Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Aura

Conquest of the Fallen Art

Post by Aura »

This is the art thread for my new planned era, Conquest of the Fallen. 4 factions will be included, but hopefully 2 more will be added during development. All the graphics will be custom or from mainline (except the Wose Shaman, which is an Ancient Wose edit, and possibly some cavalry, where mounts will be taken from mainline). Art is currently under progress, any and all crit is welcome and wanted.

The first faction is the Grove Dryads. Other factions are under construction.

I will also be looking for a coder later during the project. Please PM me if you are interested.
Last edited by Aura on July 21st, 2010, 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aura

Re: Conquest of the Fallen Art

Post by Aura »

1st Faction - Grove Dryads

Wose, Elder Wose and Ancient Wose are obviously done. Wose Shaman needs his right hand reshaped, but is otherwise done. Dryad units need some outline fixing (especially on the hair), but some tips are needed on how to do this effectively. Dryad Lifebringer possibly needs to be shortened. More trees are to be added (a cavalry unit/beast, and possibly a ranged unit).

2nd Faction - ~80% likely to be Lizardmen.

Concept art/outline for a lizardman melee fighter.
Last edited by Aura on July 21st, 2010, 7:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Aura

Post by Aura »

3rd Faction - N/A

4th Faction - N/A
Last edited by Aura on July 21st, 2010, 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aura

Post by Aura »

5th Faction - N/A

6th Faction - N/A
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I just have to say I love the thread title. It reminds me of the Era of the Future Development.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Aura

Post by Aura »

It slipped my mind that Conquest of the Fallen Art would sound like something other than art for Conquest of the Fallen, oops. Now that you say it though, it sounds cool :lol2:

I have added outlines for the probable 2nd faction, Lizardmen.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

The name is great. It really is. I always like it when a name means something. It brings a certain feeling , an emotion some would say, to play. Conquest of the Fallen.... This implicates that a people, a race or any other community has "fallen" and that these fallen ones were once great. The conquest could imply two things. The first being that another group of people will take over the fallen's kingdom(if i may call it such) and the other that the "fallen" will reconquer their previous wealth. Am I right or wrong?
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

i like the wose shaman
and i like to skim the art workshop :), looking for stuff that may be used oneday.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Nice art. :)
But you might want to change beast mistress to beast tamer or something like that.
(mistress meaning a woman a married man is having a sexual relationship with) :whistle:
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Yeah, there will be five neutral races (that battle between themselves), and one old kingdom that has risen again. The other races then have to fight that empire off whilst also fighting each other. I hope to collaborate with someone on a campaign where the other races join forces and fight the final battle against this risen kingdom.

Beast Master is a commonly used name in fantasy games, so Beast Mistress seems logical. However, if other people also think so, I'll change it.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Beast Master is a commonly used name in fantasy games, so Beast Mistress seems logical. However, if other people also think so, I'll change it.
I reall don't think that would be necesarry, few people would reach the same conclusion as Major and of those, most are likely to keep it to themselves :lol2: .

But regarding the Dryad hair: the initiate, treeshaper and lifebringer are perhpas in need of minor modifications, but I think that you've done really well there, their hair looks kind of plant related (can't think of a better way fo putting that right now). But I would say that although the fauna shaman has the same hair as the initiate, it doesn't look quite as good on her for some reason. Perhpas make it darker and or wilder or put a bone through it.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Aura

Post by Aura »

I like the dynamic that the Fauna Shama's hair adds to the pose. I will make it longer to differ it from the Initiate though, and experiment with darkness/shades.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Progress on the beast mistress:

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

While the form and proportions are very good in general, the shading lacks contrast, which makes the sprites look rather flat, and in some cases confuses the eye about the light source. The skin especially needs contrast, since the muscles can only be defined in pixel art by the tiniest details, contrast is important.

Other than that, the lower right (our left) leg of the Dryad Fauna Shaman is nearly twice that of her right, which gives her a lopsided look. The Wose Shaman doesn't look like he's even attempting to hold his staff, which seems to float just in front of his palm. And the Grovewatcher's arms are rather short (her hands should reach past her hips when hanging at her sides).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Yeah, the wose hand thing I had already listed for fixing. I will try out fixes on the Fauna Shaman's leg, and make the arms on the initiate and grovewatcher longer. Do all the colors need increased contrast ? If you could give me an example (just recoloring the shading on one of the sprites), it'll help me get a better grasp on exactly how much contrast is needed. This seems to be a problem in all my sprites and I'd very much like to fix it.

In other development, I am working on a rough map sketch with the planned civilisations listed on it and will post when it is done.