Scenario Review - EI 7a - The Crossing

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review - EI 7a - The Crossing

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Skippy

Re: Scenario Review - EI: The Crossing

Post by Skippy »

First comments: I haven't even begun this scenario but I've got to say - get Owaec across the river when he can only move 1 hex per turn (7MP and 4 per shallow water). You have got to be joking!

Final review:

1) Medium, 1.1.2a
2) 3
3) Fine
4) Interesting and clear
5) Luck - hoping that I don't face too many orcish grunts on the opposite shore and lose high level units in the water - its just a bloodbath in the water. Owaec moving one hex per turn, really means that there are practically no choices to be made in this scenario - you just have to hope the dice fall your way.
6) 2 - your moves are pretty much dictated for you. Slog across the river and send a few mages to dispose of the undead vanguard
7) Give the ogres a bit more money so they can do something other than provide free experience for the orcs (e.g. so they are an actual distraction rather than a minor annoyance)
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 8
3) Clear
4) Good
5) Lack of units with move 2 in water. I ended up recruiting a lot of L1 spearmen just to get a couple with 'quick'.

I made some mistakes at the start, sending Owaec to seize villages, not realising he would be the critical path in this scenario. Getting out of the water the far side with just Gweddry, a mage, a spearman, and a L2 swordsman, I was fairly lucky to be able to beat the 4 or so orcish grunts guarding the shore, considering most of the fight was at night.

6) 6 - being totally handicapped by Owaec and the mage being slow in water, while frustrating, also made it challenging
7) Less undead reinforcements - only a few units reached me to fight, but they recruit 6 units per turn and take awhile to shuffle their units around every turn.
silent

Post by silent »

This is probably, though to a much lesser extent compared to the choices in TRoW, the no-brainer scenario to pick.

There needs to be some sort of equal reward for either scenario. In this one, you get 2 ogres in your recall list and a loyal ogre, for beating few enemies. In the other scenario, you have to try and fight through 2 cuttlefish and several more enemies.

Pretty obvious which to pick.
miekka

Post by miekka »

1. medium 1.6.5
2. 2, once you realize how to do it
3. clear
4. I liked it
5. with my strategy none
6. 2.. I didn't recall anything, just recruited two forts of spearmen and some HI. they weren't meant to survive, just to slow the undead down. and they succeeded. it was just a matter of moving the heroes across the river
7. I don't really know..
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

turin wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal 1.8.3
5 - The scenario really depends on how stupid the ogre leader is. Since I want free ogres, letting him die wasn't an option. Thus hanging around in the water ain't an option either.
Ah, the undead? Dacyn and a White Mage took care of them, leveling them both into MoL's.
Didn't realize if the ogre leader died you wouldn't get the free ogres and himself as a loyal unit.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The best so far! Only because of the ogre leader.
Getting there in time so the ogre leader wouldn't get squashed.
2 - More frustrating than fun. I hate it when I lose because of my ally.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Have the ogres be more defensive and throw away all their troops in the beginning.
dsa

Post by dsa »

(1) What difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging, 1.8.4.

3 just for finishing and 6 for additionally rescuing the ogre.

Clear, although a bonus objective, to protect the ogre, could be added for additional clarification.

The only unclear thing was the following: Before the scenario starts, the orc leader says, that he deals with the ogre later, because there are men crossing the river. But during the scenario the ogres are attacked first.

The main objectives were no real problem. Only rescuing the ogre was a bit challenging, because he dies quite fast without help.

None
BfWEthnographer

Post by BfWEthnographer »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.8.5; Normal
Clear
Clear and, like the rest of campaign: quite pleasant to follow
Keeping a good formation while crossing the river.
Keeping the ogre leader alive (I tried several times, but I didn't manage to cross over before it gets killed)
The ending of the scenario is a bit awkward:
My units crossed the river and the scenario ended while all of my units were engaged in fighting.
I've never seen a battle ending like this :P

Perhaps the orc leader should run away, if my units cross the river, or perhaphs killing the orc leader should be made a scenario objective.
Attachments
EI-The_Crossing_replay.gz
(27.75 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
Current research on sustainability of commons (also involving BfW) - ISSP
Old (unmaintained) website used for my PhD research on BfW

podbelski

Post by podbelski »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

"5" to cross the river, "10" to save the Ogre leader.

clear

fine, besides that when I cross the river but the ogres already killed, Dacyn says "Ok now we should seek an alliance with ogres" or smth like that, and then the scenario ends ubruptly. Definitely should be a phrase like "We've done it, unfortunately the orcs have crushed ogres blah blah"

accept the fact I won't have a loyal ogre (restarted several times)

moderately fun, if I saved an ogre it would have been better

as is, I don't see how an ogre leader can survive. I rush straight into the waters with my fastest troops, but once they reach the other shore it's already clear I can't do anything to save the ogre leader. Maaaybe if the ogres are insanely lucky it's possible...
Attachments
(30.74 KiB) Downloaded 1067 times
HenryPlainview

Post by HenryPlainview »

Hardest
Fine
The white mage saying "The undead reinforcements have arrived, we must cross the river immediately!" made me angrier than anything I have ever seen in Wesnoth. I am trying to cross the river but you only move one hex at a time you smug [censored] and I still haven't forgiven you for the first mission of this campaign.
WATER PENALTIES ARGH
3. You're basically entirely dependent on the luck of the ogre and whoever jumps into the water to fight with you. That is not fun. But I generally
It takes the cavalry guy ELEVEN TURNS to cross the river. That is ridiculous, I spend most of this mission watching the AI fight itself. The river should be shrunk so it takes him no more than 7-8.
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.8.6, hard
154 starting gold

3. Very few fighting and the knights charge attack in the water with a 80% chance to hit combined with Gweddry's leadership clears out everything that comes across.
As said in the walkthrough: Put Owaec in the water on turn 1 - otherwise you're too late to save the ogre.
Also, it is possible to kill the undead leader on turn one. Backed up buy Dacyn (if he is a light mage and Gweddry a general) Gweddry deals out arcane-enhanced damage of 17 per strike (if you gave him an amulet before). It needs 3 hits to kill the 47 HP of the revenant (what is not very likely to happen, as the chance to hit is 40% and just two hits can be expected).

Clear. The scenario's ending by simply stepping foot on the opposite coast with just Gweddry and Owaec is imho quite explainable. This orc is not too strong, once you accomplish your D-Day on his coast he retreats.

Clear.

Once you send Owaec into the water immediately - none.

Nice for knight charging.

Maybe let Owaec say something like: "I hate water!" or similar to make clear, he is awesome slow. Putting him asap in the water is the key to this scenario.
Attachments
IdF-Die_Überquerung_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(27.61 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
line

Post by line »

1.9.14, hard
156 starting gold

3. Put Owaec in the water asap. He can reach the other side of the river not earlier than turn 11. But it's definitely possible for the ogres to hold out until then, even though their defending is so poor (they do not wait at the rock hexes to let the orcs attack from the gras, from the gras they attack a unit that is placed in a village).

Clear.

Clear.

It took me too long to kill the undead (because the red mage was not fast, so only the arcane knight could help out - and I did not want Dacyn to kill the lvl-2 undead and gain the 16 XP as he already was a light mage. So Gweddry lasted until round 13 to reach the other coast - too late to save the ogre.

None.
Attachments
IdF-Die_Überquerung_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(34.52 KiB) Downloaded 807 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy 1.10.2
70%
I actually played this twice, the first time, i thought it was a ditch the base instantly kind of thing, so i just recruited some units and ran with them. Then ended up being hounded by bats and when i finally got to the edge of the river i got attacked by an orc (who died), which i thought meant that the ogres now knew that i was an enemy of the orcs and on their team, but then they came over and attacked me too.

The second time, i realized what daclyn meant by undead reinforcements, and the possibility of killing the undead at the bottom, and then crossing the river, because i would have plenty of time. I sent a few units to take him out and then started up the river. I took the west leading path through the shallows so i could come up right under the orcs, and have less possibility of getting into confrontation with the ogres. A few dragoons and calvarymen took out the orc leader and by the time my heros got across the ogres just decided to join me randomly.
Good, i liked seeing how orges act independent of an army.
A bit of confusion, see 3.
Maybe make it a little clearer.
Fate is against me.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5 and 1.10.5

Very clear.

Plausible because you have to get the characters across the river. I couldn't help but laugh when Owaec spots the Undead arriving and says 'we must cross the river immediately' when he's trailing behind every other unit who are closer to the shore. You'd also think the Ogres would be grateful when my units crossed the river and wiped out the Orcs but then they started attacking my units. Some gratitude. Then they have the cheek to offer their help at the end.

Getting Owaec across the river, one hex at a time. Man, he was so slow an Orcish Archer also in the middle of the river had time to change his mind head back and almost meet Owaec on the shore. Problem was that Dacyn was also slow, the Undead were spamming bats which hounded him each one taking 3-4HP a bite.

5 - the battle with the Orcs was fun but offset with getting Owaec across the river and trying to save Dacyn. Dacyn started out a healthy White Mage on the southern shore but only had 2HP by the time I got Owaec across the shore. In the time between getting the other units and Owaec across Gweddry had taken out two Orcish Archers, badly injured an Orcish Grunt and dispatched a young Ogre.

I think Owaec badly needs at least another movement point and either a sense of humour or very strong anti-depressants.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Challenging (hardest); 1.10.7; 229 starting gold.

3 to win, 9 to save the Ogre leader.

Pretty clear. I was unclear about details like whether the Ogres would be friendly (from other posts it seems they're not), where the undead reinforcements would appear, and whether I could continue to play for XP after my key units crossed the river.

I liked it.

The Ogre leader died on two plays before I could get any units ashore. The third time in addition to Owaec I sent Dacyn and L1 Mage into the river right away, trying hard to lure the orcs into the water and away from the ogres. This ploy sucked 3 orcs into the water and distracted others. The ogres were still slaughtered but the ogre leader remained unwounded(!)

Something needs to be done to give the ogre leader a better chance. It's no fun having to rely on luck. What about a swamp in the middle to slow down the orcs? Also, victory in this scenario really isn't challenging unless you have Owaec wait in the water while you take down the orc leader, but I don't want to have to do that. And as others said it doesn't make sense for a raging battle to stop because some lame horseman has emerged from the water. You could have a dialog to ask if you want to continue to fight until the orc leader is killed. Or you could make the objective be a signpost at the top edge of the board near the orc's keep. That would spice things up.
Attachments
(33.93 KiB) Downloaded 797 times