Brent (0.1.7) – for 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PeterPorty
Translator

Re: Brent (0.1.7) – for 1.7.10+

Post by PeterPorty »

Dunno if you noticed, but... this campaign is kinda... dead. Unless AD wants to take it :D
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Being a campaign author myself, I don't like the idea that someone may hijack my campaign only after a few months without me logging in to the forums or so...the right point to take over a campaign might be when it hasn't been updated for a new stable BfW release I'd say. At least one year without reaction from the author should pass I think.

@topic, be warned that Brent is using lua...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Actually, I've considered taking over this project several times, but I'm still experimenting with my own RPG ideas (along with half a dozen other projects of varying complexity), so I'm unwilling to attempt anything until I have determined what systems can and cannot work in WML. Unfortunately I'm completely LUA illiterate as well, although I could work (barely) with what Melinath came up with, should it become necessary. But ATM, I'm a bit too busy with all my Wesnoth projects and RL activities (it's prime time in the USA Fencing Tournament schedule 8) ).

But once I finish experimenting with my RPG systems, I might take over this project (as a fork, just in case Melinath comes back... however unlikely that seems ATM :( ).

Until then, however, let me tell everyone who has a bug report that there is no point in reporting bugs in an abandoned project. Until (or if) it is revived, nothing will be done about any bugs you may find, so filing reports is pointless.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Appears to be indeed a very innovative campaign, but also very buggy...lots of stuff in sterr.txt. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong...completed the quest objective but nothing happens...Anyway, I though melinath had worked lua functionalities into this campaign but seemingly there aren't any yet, no lua files at least.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I know he wrote a lua function for saving shroud data, although I don't think he ever implemented it before he left. I talked to Silene a while back, and (s)he told me how to install the function in the campaign.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I've just finished playing through Brent (for the first time in a long time), and I have decided not to bother taking over this campaign... ever. Why? For the simple reason that there isn't much there worth continuing. Melinath had some good things going on with this project, but the entire campaign is an unfinished experiment, not a serious effort to create a feature-length RPG. There is little storyline, and what little there is isn't worth the effort to try saving. There are some interesting bits of WML/lua in the campaign, which I might reuse in my own projects later on, but other than that I feel there is very little to be gotten out of my continuing this campaign. If I do create a feature-length RPG (which I fully intend on doing, once I finish my experimentation with different systems to determine the best and most efficient methods of creating the best possible Wesnoth RPG), then I will start from scratch.
Gaymann

Post by Gaymann »

Hi fellas!

I'm also a fan of this Brent RPG campaign :P
So is this going to develop anymore? Have the creator took a some sort lifetime vacation from this campaign? :O

I would love if i would get a some sort of tech tree for Brents Advancements. :!:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

The developer has taken a break from the Wesnoth project for an unkown length of time... possibly forever. Until he comes back, there is little chance anything will happen in this campaign.
Gaymann

Post by Gaymann »

oh damn then :( i was so excited about this.

But can someone give some sort of tech tree? :O
markm

Post by markm »

The term tech tree is interesting, so is the term RPG.

I am not sure quite what you are thinking of though when you use the term tech tree. If you have seen my campaigns you might have noticed that I use the tech tree from Freeciv's Galactic Ruleset. I am in the process of building sets of units for use with such a tech tree, so that for example we know what kinds of units to make available based on what techs from the tech tree are available.

Basically I am trying to match unit trees into a tech tree, like take one of these give it such and such an item and it is now one of those. (Give it a horse? Give it a nicely fitted compact flak jacket? Etc...)

I am curious about this purported non-utility of the Brent campaign, maybe it could be worthwhile to explore precisely what about it's approach is flawed as compared to what other approach(es) might be less flawed or even rather apt...

-MarkM-
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gaymann wrote:But can someone give some sort of tech tree? :O
Do you mean an advancement tree?
markm

Post by markm »

I started the campaign again, it has been a long long time since last I looked at it.

I wonder where exactly it is located, if anywhere on Irdya for example then where on Irdya. Though I am far from averse to a generic starting-RPG-character campaign, I am not sure it is quite generic enough a "worldmap" for it to be useable "almost anywhere on almost any world" so if it is not somewhere specific then I'd favour making it more generic so as to be more able to said to be pretty much anywhere the character's development eventually deduces that they "must presumably" be.

Mind you it is things like fields of lava that make me wonder how many places might feature such a region. If those are actually to be attributed to the fire-wielding folk who are threatening the forest maybe they can be taken as generic: hey could be smouldering craters from artillery fire or something made by fire elementals depending on what tech and/or "magic" (tech sufficiently advanced that the characters and/or their setting do not actually know the tech yet?)

I did not see any apparent effect when the dryad supposedly gave Brent a reward, and cannot find a battlefield with a general on it, the tents near the lava seem empty. Maybe she means the place where the backpack is? Hmm, time to look at the code instead of looking from a player perspective I guess...

I would be most interested in a starting-RPG-character campaign that offered the most flexibility as to what kind of character it ends up being, and where, so that it can serve as back-story for a hopefully ever greater number of campaigns. (Any whose protagonist once lived near woods and hunted with a bow...?)

-MarkM- (Yes one day it'd be nice to be able to start a campaign using character developed in "previous" campaign... :))

(P.S. or at least know what "really" happened in "other" campaigns in this specific player's timeline(s)...)
Have you eaten today?
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Let me be honest Mark you have tons of work in your 3(?) campaigns all started but none finished, try to finish those before starting an RPG(or anything else), a supposedly open developed RPG will require you to manage a large variable system(let's say you would have one variable for each decission and 3 options for each(2 sounds not much), it would increase exponentially first 3, then 9 for each which makes 27...).

Anyway, if you still want to develop something like that, I would recomend you to make it "Fake-Free". Let me explain this, you have one story, let's say with 4 main choices, but those are not excluyent, you make choices(with less importance) modifying the precise way the others bahave; also, maybe a system marking relationship with those, you can create fake paths to give the sense of freedom(two paths leading the same way I mean), and a main plot you get inmersed(maybe you should try to make it unavoidable, but non-extravagant(I mean that world domination is unavoidable, but extravagant and most of times recurred to...)) to make it likely real, anyway for you to get informed, the longest RPG scenarios I have seen to be successful are 1 scenario long, and were created by Bob the mighty.(Although colosseum is RPGish it is plotless and insanely repetitive)(Wesband is roguelike, although for an RPG it has potential, I can't consider it RPG), the best thing I've seen so far of what describes my idea of RPG are Brent and Wesband's upgrade system, and both two are pretty high standarts. I just want to say that if you are creating somthing BIG, better to have the ideas done first than just constructed castles in the air.

Best of lucks Mark!

Regarding to the Brent add-on I would consider it to be on an intense hiatus.(Overall, I have been away for some months and i am back to life, Melinath can also be... real life can sometimes be quite a time drain for other projects.)
markm

Post by markm »

These campaigns I have in progress are actually part of an RPG. Part of why it takes a long time to continue them is it takes a long time for the characters, such as the rulers of the nations on the various planets, to actually get around to deciding which armies are to move where, what each of their cities is going to manufacture, where their spaceships are going to fly to and what units to carry there, and so on.

Once all those characters have made all those decisions, then I can storyboard those results in Wesnoth-campaign form, which so far is pretty much the only access that Wesnoth players have to the RPG.

In other words it is currently probably more effective and efficient for a player who wants their decisions to actually cause results to use a Freeciv client or a Crossfire client to contact the worlds of the RPG than to use Wesnoth to contact those worlds. Wesnoth is currently more a client for observers who like to fiddle around with armies that cannot change the world while they observe, or for readers who are willing to fiddle around with armies that don't actually change anything while they read, than for people looking to actually cause things to happen in the world(s) they are observing or reading about.

It'd be nice to change that, of course, by increasing the users of Wesnoth clients' ability to actually cause effects - to actually effect history by means of their play.

(Maybe one way would be make one campaign reflecting one possible course of history, another reflecting another, and choose which actually happens by which one gets played more and thus is presumably more popular. History of a Democracy! :))

-MarkM-
Have you eaten today?
Gaymann

Post by Gaymann »

artisticdude wrote:Do you mean an advancement tree?
well yeah....advancement tree would be a better name for it :)
(i have maybe played too much Age of Empires)