Lamps and Megarace - homemade multiplayer strategy game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

batoonike

Lamps and Megarace - homemade multiplayer strategy game

Post by batoonike »

Download: http://batoonike.indrek.org/lampsandmegarace.zip

Lamps and Megarace is multiplayer strategy game we've been developing with a few friends. It has "sim turns": each player gives orders to their units and hits "Im ready". When everyones ready, all units try to make their move. So you dont have to have to wait for everyone to make their move! The 3-minute tutorial gets you all the basics but the strategyc depths of the game are very hard to reach. I know it myself, after playing 100+ mathes it still hard vs new players with new tactics. Current graphics are fillers, we are looking for artist(s) :)

It uses TCP port 14 000. If you are behind a router, forward this port to be abled to host.

Hope to see you soon on the server!

Remember: graphics are fillers :) All offers for making graphics are welcome!
(Send me private message if interested)

Download: http://batoonike.indrek.org/lampsandmegarace.zip
Speedbrain

Re: Lamps and Megarace - homemade multiplayer strategy game

Post by Speedbrain »

It's a good thing those are only placeholder graphics, because the "Normos" graphic looks an awful lot like a SouthPark character. You would have some copyright issues on your hands if you use the same graphics.
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

They are not stolen but they do represent southparc characters. 2 of them to be precise. Im not sure if I can make a game with characters from SB? Im sure not all the games with SB characters have an agreement with Southpark Studios. Im willing to kick them out any time of course if its illegal for sure.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

You can't use characters that look exactly like South Park characters. You could use characters that are drawn in the same style, but why would you want to? If you're game hasn't got anything to do with South Park, then there's no reason to use characters that would imply an association with it. If you do claim some association with South Park without an explicit license from the copyright holders, then they can and will sue you.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

Thanks for warning, in next version they will look a lot less like SB characters.
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

No linux version and no source code. It is unplayable in wine (although it starts working the menus just don't look quite right.
http://wogralddev.blogspot.com/

Wograld - our graphics requirements are less demanding.
batoonike

Post by batoonike »

I have no idea if it should work in linux or not. Forgive me my windows-centeredness* :)

*Is that a word?

EDIT: This indeed does work only on Windows. I could give you the source code but theres absolutely now way to compile it for anything else than Windows and maybe Mac also.