Random Map Picker

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Quetzalcoatl

Random Map Picker

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

As grrr is still afk I decided to hijack his awesome add-on totally :twisted: .

What I have done to it (from README):

Refactored version of grrr's add-on that will be possible to upload on add-on server :) I consolidated CompetitiveGaming with RandomDefaultMap, removed 2v2 related stuff as it wasn't used anymore and renamed macros as I suppose WML has no namespace support (or similar thing). As all of those changes made source of addon VERY differend from wesnoth-competitive-gaming I decided to start new repository :( You can now pick from five of the available map sets (or select one of the new maps directly):
  • All: Arcanclave Citadel, Caves of the Basilisk, Cynsaun Battlefield, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel, Astral Port, Crescent Lake, Elensefar Courtyard
  • Default: Caves of the Basilisk, Cynsaun Battlefield, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel
  • New: Arcanclave Citadel, Astral Port, Crescent Lake, Elensefar Courtyard
  • Popular: Caves of the Basilisk, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel
  • ToC - Caves of the Basilisk, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands
As you see New set actually includes new OFFICIAL and USERMADE maps. I also removed maps of controversial balance and added Cynsaun Battlefield as you probably noticed it if you are reading this.

Where to get it?

Its available on add-on server - search for "Random Map Picker" (hopefully that name makes sense in english language :P ).

Other useful resources:

Github page: http://github.com/Quetzalcoatl/Random_Map_Picker
All releases (downloads - if you need them): http://github.com/Quetzalcoatl/Random_M ... /downloads
Changelog: http://github.com/Quetzalcoatl/Random_M ... its/master

Bugs / Feature requests:

Report them in this topic or here: http://github.com/Quetzalcoatl/Random_Map_Picker/issues

Other:

I'm open for new features, cooperation proposals, add-on password sharing and such (PM me for any of that).

Cheers
Q
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Rigor

Re: Random Map Picker

Post by Rigor »

:mrgreen: your initiative skill just rised with +1 skill point. thanks for doing this, it is the right thing to do.

about the maps that are in this mappack:

sadly i dont see serpent ford in it anymore, which caused no or if any, then the least distress in the community.
i can understand that you decided to take out unfolding space, because the map will need some improvement yet and would be the number one update reason for the mappack. fast to madness was a nice little map which was on the right way already and i think has still potential to become one of the permanent usermade maps.
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

@Quetzalcoatl: Just what was needed, thx.
Rigor wrote:it is the right thing to do
I'm so glad to finally hear that. :roll:
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Version 1.8.1 out. Changes:
- more compatibility with wesnoth-competitive-gaming
- return of wesnoth-competitive-gaming sets (WCG all, WCG new) (both sets include exactly the same maps as those in WCG)
- return of controversial umc maps (ftm, sf, sf, us) (even if bad they are still one of the best umc maps avaiable)
- when picking map manually sides will be randomed anyway so you can't be sure if you will be p1
- bugfixes

Help needed:
- somebody help me pls to prevent scenario 1 (map with logo) from being saved
- maintainers for: fast to madness, scarred foothills, serpent ford and unfolding space wanted

Cheers
Q
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

henry got a map update on his own map northline. its in henrys mappack "henrys-maps"
Henrythe12th

Post by Henrythe12th »

Rigor wrote:henry got a map update on his own map northline. its in henrys mappack "henrys-maps"
Well it's version 0.4, and should be on the add on server (Henrys maps) :-). Thanks choosing it as a ladder map :-)
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

1.8.2 out! Changes:
- bugfixes
- new map: Eye of Tath
- new map: Northern Line
- new map: Lunar Landing (I didn't added it to any set... yet... but you can pick it)

Cheers
Q
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

two things:

unfolding space just got massively better, with new flanks and less obstructive terrain. i just let the feeling how it should work flow freely.

lunar landing - a joke? :D
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Rigor wrote:lunar landing - a joke? :D
No :P .

I removed all sets and added 3 new of them. As there was some work done on few maps you can now pick popular mainline maps, safe maps (those that receive enough balancing lately, was good enough before or new uncommited mainline maps) and devel maps (still need some work?). However picking safe set means for example that popluar maps will also be added to pool from what maps are randomly picked (so it also means that devel is in fact: popular + safe + maps for devel). Move mouse over map thumbnail when creating game to see exactly what maps are in each set.

If you hate this approach you can temporarily download previous version of the addon at github page and present yours improvement ideas here.

Cheers
Q
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

New stuff in current release:
- scenarios for each (current) mainline map so you can pick for ex freelands and p1 p2 starting positions will be set randomly
- new set with new maps only

Cheers
Q
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

that was fast 8)
Kolbur

Post by Kolbur »

May I suggest that Eye of Tath gets removed from the Safe random maps? I don't think it is very balanced in it's current state and I haven't seen many matches played on it for the ladder in contrast to many other new maps of the Safe collection. Especially a chaotic player 1 with a 6 mp leader has a good advantage there.
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Ok, actually I would like cut down amount of available maps / sets down so Im open for any suggestions. Hope more people will share their thoughts about maps / sets here and tell me what they want to go out / in. So far we have such new umc maps:

- Astral Port
- Blacksmoke Crater
- Crescent Lake
- Dungeon Wars
- Eye of Tath
- Fast to Madness
- Northern Line
- Scarred Foothills
- Serpent Ford
- Unfolding Space

And LUNAR LANDING (can be randomed from devel).
So the question is: what should be removed / changed?
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

byebye

* All: Arcanclave Citadel, Caves of the Basilisk, Cynsaun Battlefield, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel, Astral Port, Crescent Lake, Elensefar Courtyard

* Default: Caves of the Basilisk, Cynsaun Battlefield, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel

* New: Arcanclave Citadel, Astral Port, Crescent Lake, Elensefar Courtyard

* Popular: Caves of the Basilisk, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel

OK

id suggest we just stick to two ladder packs, one for the conservative player thinking only the good old days were best, and one where the other great maps that we, the guys who should know how to design maps in a way that they r fair, decided that they can be played as well and consider them fair. eventually the very curious might want to play only new ladder maps, but then, this amazing person can just pick the maps and write ladder game in the header. experience tells us, this is usually not the case.

so my suggestion for an uncomplicated ladder experience would be:

* Conservative - Caves of the Basilisk, Cynsaun Battlefield, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel

* ALL - "young meets old" - Caves of the Basilisk, Cynsaun Battlefield, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel, plus the safe new maps - Unfolding Space - Serpent Ford - Scarred Foothills - Crescent Lake - Astral Port - Elensefar's Courtyard - Dungeon Wars

im not sure if the community will like to have those in a young meets old mappack so i just took them out:

- Fast to Madness (as long as u guys consider it still unsafe well just leave it outside.)
- Blacksmoke Crater (dont know this map)
- Arcanclave Citadel (unsafe or not? its a very very creepy map imho)
- Northern Line (not played for long enough)
- Eye of Tath (will be balanced later)
- Cynsaun Battlefield is a map that u can still pick if ur in the mood for a long game. i - and many others - dont want to have it in the random map selection.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Rigor wrote: * Conservative - Caves of the Basilisk, Cynsaun Battlefield, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel

* ALL - "young meets old" - Caves of the Basilisk, Cynsaun Battlefield, Den of Onis, Fallenstar Lake, Hamlets, Hornshark Island, Howling Ghost Badlands, Sablestone Delta, Silverhead Crossing, Sulla's Ruins, The Freelands, Weldyn Channel, plus the safe new maps - Unfolding Space - Serpent Ford - Scarred Foothills - Crescent Lake - Astral Port - Elensefar's Courtyard - Dungeon Wars
Am I wrong, or has Dungeon Wars barely been played at all? I'm not sure how it could be considered safe. I understand leaving it in there because maybe it's thought to have potential, but I don't think it's currently "safe," at all. I've played it twice- It's cool looking, but in my opinion is in a super-primitive and unbalanced state right now.
Rigor wrote: - Arcanclave Citadel (unsafe or not? its a very very creepy map imho)
I think it's one of the safest ones mentioned here. It's very easy to get abused there if you haven't played it several times, so I think some people end up with a distorted view of it. A map so functionally different should be exactly the sort of thing we try to promote with these trial ladder maps.
Rigor wrote: - Northern Line (not played for long enough)
Very unsafe in my experience, but "safeness" is only one of its many problems. :P
Rigor wrote: - Eye of Tath (will be balanced later)
Does that mean you're adopting it? I don't want this one. :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme