How to compile Wesnoth on Mac OS X

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

penguin
macOS Packager

Re: How To Compile On A Mac

Post by penguin »

Well for me, that's one of the options in the drop down menu (see attached). Anyway, glad you got it working!
Screen shot 2010-06-19 at 4.25.09 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-06-19 at 4.25.09 PM.png (18.76 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard yet-- which probably makes the difference.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Does anyone mind checking the project file into SVN? Then it can be updated just like the MSVS and Code::Blocks (and Dev-C++, somewhat) ones are.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

OK. I know enough not to upload the binary, but not much more. Hopefully this works for other people.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

There is a reason it wasn't in svn already. And that is, the project file isn't very useful without all the libraries (the main job of being the Mac packager has been getting all those libraries together in a suitable form), but it really doesn't make sense to put all those libraries (and header files) into svn - they're large, and a ton of files, and most people don't want them.

We could put JUST the project file, and people could copy over the rest from the zip, but... I don't know if it's worth it.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

penguin wrote:There is a reason it wasn't in svn already. And that is, the project file isn't very useful without all the libraries (the main job of being the Mac packager has been getting all those libraries together in a suitable form), but it really doesn't make sense to put all those libraries (and header files) into svn - they're large, and a ton of files, and most people don't want them.
Obviously this decision isn't my province, but playing the devil's advocate here: Those files add roughly 100Mb to previously ~1.2Gb trunk. But ~500 Mb of the trunk are po files, again large, tons of them, and most people don't want most of them.

I think there's utility in having it in SVN. It took me over an hour to get penguin's project linked to all the new files. Obviously somebody more savvy could do it quicker, but somebody less savvy might find it impossible.
Attempting Lucidity
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

penguin wrote:There is a reason it wasn't in svn already. And that is, the project file isn't very useful without all the libraries (the main job of being the Mac packager has been getting all those libraries together in a suitable form), but it really doesn't make sense to put all those libraries (and header files) into svn - they're large, and a ton of files, and most people don't want them.

We could put JUST the project file, and people could copy over the rest from the zip, but... I don't know if it's worth it.
That's true for every OS that doesn't have a package manager, but there are 4 different project files for windows in the projectfiles dir in the repo. My idea was that, like those, it can be updated by the same people who actually add/remove source files.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Can I just add the new changes for 1.9 in a present version of Wesnoth, such as 1.8.2 ?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Can I just add the new changes for 1.9 in a present version of Wesnoth, such as 1.8.2 ?
What exactly do you mean?

You can't just swap out all the .CFGs and images, 1.9 has grown too different, for instance the map won't display. A lot of them probably still work, but who knows which ones.
Attempting Lucidity
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

What I mean is this:
Does compiling mean to download every single one of these files in a form of an installer?
My main problem is to upload my add-ons on the 1.9 server.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:My main problem is to upload my add-ons on the 1.9 server.
There has been no official 1.9.x release yet, so I don't see why you should worry about 1.9 add-ons yet.

Once official releases start coming out you'll be able to download ready-to-use binaries.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
McShark

Post by McShark »

For the lib-stuff: it's the same with win binaries, you have to pick them either on your own or use the zip files in the C::B thread. External binaries for compiling do not belong into a general SVN.

For the project files: Please make clear why they have an own directory "macproject/Wesnoth.xcodeproj" instead of the directory "projectfiles/xcode". I want to move the directory there but thought I should ask here before doing so (on next weekend).

McShark

BTW: Did anybody tried to compile Wesnoth with C::B for Mac OS X using the project files from projectfiles/CodeBlocks?
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Because I didn't have this in mind when I was setting it up, and it relies on being only one directory up from root.
McShark

Post by McShark »

Can you change the project files in a way that they can be used from on one subdirectory more?
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Yeah, I could. I'm just being lazy about it - how about I just update it and commit the file in projectfiles/xcode/ soon? And if I don't do it soon, you can feel free to pester me.