Tiny UI improvement in addons window

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
hhyloc
Translator

Tiny UI improvement in addons window

Post by hhyloc »

Sorry if this has been proposed before, I searched but couldn't find it anywhere...

What: The idea is simple, rename the 'cancel' button in the 'Get add-ons' window to 'done'
In my opinion, 'Done' sound more logical. Also I think there is another solution: Make the 'Cancel' button delete the addons you've just downloaded (if any) in case you dont want to install these addons anymore. And the a 'Done' button to install addons.
Why: Because when you downloaded some addons, you must press 'Cancel' to get the addon to work? I think the 'Cancel' should be renamed to 'Done'
R.I.P
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: Tiny UI improvement in addons window

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Wasn't this brought up some time ago, and it got a pretty much unanimous agreement, but never got actually implemented?

Anyway, I'm for it.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Wasn't this brought up some time ago, and it got a pretty much unanimous agreement, but never got actually implemented?

Anyway, I'm for it.
It has been proposed before? My apologies...
Eleazar wrote:There's a bug report.

https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?16119

OK so let hope it will be 'changed' soon....
The 'Ok' should be 'Download' or 'Install' or something
The 'Cancel' should be 'Done' or 'Finished'
or an alternative change: rename the button like above but add another 'Cancel' to delete/undo downloaded addon(s)
R.I.P
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Adding a "cancel" that actually cancels the download would be confusing. You can download multiple addons from this window. Which one would "cancel" cancel? All of them? The last one? How does the player know?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Eleazar wrote:Adding a "cancel" that actually cancels the download would be confusing. You can download multiple addons from this window. Which one would "cancel" cancel? All of them? The last one? How does the player know?
The 'cancel' will cancel all of the addon you've downloaded but does not include the addons you've install before.
I agree that having three buttons could make the player confusing. But to me it's a better solution than just rename the two 'OK' and 'Cancel' to 'Download' and 'Done', Of course this change will require some coding though... :hmm:
R.I.P
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Actually, depending on your definition of "coding", the change would require absolutely no coding at all. You just find-and-replace "Ok" and "Cancel" in the relevant code section. Don't even need to understand C++.

1.8 was on a string freeze like half a year ago, so it makes sense that the change hasn't been implemented in that branch. Why it hasn't been implemented in trunk mainline is a whole other question.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Zarel wrote:Actually, depending on your definition of "coding", the change would require absolutely no coding at all. You just find-and-replace "Ok" and "Cancel" in the relevant code section. Don't even need to understand C++.

1.8 was on a string freeze like half a year ago, so it makes sense that the change hasn't been implemented in that branch. Why it hasn't been implemented in trunk mainline is a whole other question.
No, I don't think so...
the #1 solution I proposed in the first post of course doesn't need coding, the dev just have to find and replace like you said.
but the #2 solution I said in the recent posts just like the #1 but suggest adding 'Cancel' button (the original 'Cancel' button has been rename to 'Done'). The #2 suggest that we have three buttons instead of just rename. Adding another button of course require coding right?

Edited: Even now, I don't know what is "string freeze"... :oops: Can someone explain it for me?
R.I.P
AtemTheLightning

Post by AtemTheLightning »

Good idea.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

A "string freeze" means any text the user might read cannot be changed to give the translators time to do their job before a release.
Attempting Lucidity