Frogatto

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Re: Frogatto

Post by Dixie »

Just played through the whole game, but somehow it feels like I missied some stuff. Like, those houses with golden locks in the forest? On that "central house" which has a door with a blue lock and upper platforms I can't reach. Maybe it just ain't complete, though.

Also: I saw nothing of your editor. I thought it might get unlocked when passing the game or something, but no. Maybe it's not available for the mac port? Dunno.

Good game, anyway. Perhaps short, perhaps a tad easy (especially the last boss :? , but I enjoyed it overall, and I usually don't enjoy platformers much. Good Job people :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The editor is accessible with CTRL-E.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Dixie wrote:On that "central house" which has a door with a blue lock and upper platforms I can't reach. Maybe it just ain't complete, though.
Spoiler:
I will now resume lurking silently.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Dixie wrote:Just played through the whole game, but somehow it feels like I missied some stuff. Like, those houses with golden locks in the forest? On that "central house" which has a door with a blue lock and upper platforms I can't reach. Maybe it just ain't complete, though.
Actually, we're non-linear. Like in diablo 2 or zelda, there are a few side-things - such as that central house, you actually don't have to do, but will be rewarded for if you do end up doing. We're hoping to add more.
Dixie wrote:Good game, anyway. Perhaps short, perhaps a tad easy (especially the last boss :? , but I enjoyed it overall, and I usually don't enjoy platformers much. Good Job people :)
Yeah, Milgram is going to get _massively_ buffed. He was currently artificially easy for testing purposes (so we could see the transition between his level and the epilogue as we worked on it).
sur.nhm wrote:I've downloaded the ubuntu version and played it. It's a fun game, and I like the idea of spitting bugs at other bugs. Cheers to the developers!
Yeah, that was actually a surprisingly late addition. Frogatto himself originally was sort of a "brawler" type character, and would attack only with punches and kicks. We later realized that there was much more potential for originality via him being a frog.

We have two other characters, actually - pato and nene, who are partly implemented (and accessible via the editor). We cut them for this release to get the damn thing out the door, but the plan for them had been to make nene a character who uses various guns, and for pato to be a classic "fighter" character who uses punches, kicks, and throws, including combo-based attacks. You see them as NPCs, but assuming we're not sick to death of working on frogatto, they're probably a shoe-in for the sequel. Their current functionality is of course quite broken.

Another thing we wanted-but-had-to-drop was multiplayer.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Aw, no one mentioned my involvement! :P
sur.nhm wrote:I've downloaded the ubuntu version and played it. It's a fun game, and I like the idea of spitting bugs at other bugs. Cheers to the developers!
That version is actually quite out of date, I think - the person who made it seems to have disappeared pretty soon after they did it. :?
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I figured out that it isn't necessary, but how do you get into Nene's basement? I know she drops that key, but I can't use it or anything. If I try to grab it, I just talk to her.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Swallow it with your tongue.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

OH!! :shock:
Duh, why didn't I try that? :oops: :lol2: I kept thinking I was supposed to use down-arrow-key to pick it up or something.
Thanks!
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Yer, after playing cave story I got quite confused between down and up.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Frogger5 wrote:Yer, after playing cave story I got quite confused between down and up.
Hehehe. XD

I kind of miss the ability to shoot projectiles as well as spit bugs, but it did make removing foes rather easy, so I understand why it was removed. Still, there's something attractive about limitless ammo... :P
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

The tongue is kind of unforgiving in terms of accuracy, which was kind of frustrating. The physics engine in general is unforgiving, like how you bounce down if your jump hits a ceiling, instead of sliding as you do in some platformers. And sometimes sticking to the wall doesn't work - it appears to depend on some factors I can't figure out, which is not a good thing for a game to do. Sticking to a wall apparently intentionally doesn't work if you do a running jump, which is silly and I can't think of either an in-game or an out-of-game justification for why that should be. Oh, and running is frustrating. Why can't you just hold down D or something?

For the title screen, how you have to wait for the instructions for jumping and running to come up is kind of annoying. All the instructions should be on the screen at once, or maybe in an introduction screen, or something like that. The problem with a scroller like that is that the text appears and disappears too quickly for some people and too slowly for others.

That said, awesome game. I especially liked the introduction sequence right before the final boss fight.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

The limitation for wall jumps, is just that you have to be still in the upward part of your jump. You can most certainly run and wall jump.

I wanted a separate key for running as well, but we definitely couldn't have one for the iPhone (well, maybe we sort of could...), and we were talking about removing it and increasing the normal speed a little... in the end, nothing happened.

I kind of agree about the scrolling text on the title screen, but I'm not sure of a good alternative that'd look nice.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

penguin wrote:The limitation for wall jumps, is just that you have to be still in the upward part of your jump. You can most certainly run and wall jump.
See, that's the kind of low-discoverability limitation that should not be present in a game.
penguin wrote:I wanted a separate key for running as well, but we definitely couldn't have one for the iPhone (well, maybe we sort of could...), and we were talking about removing it and increasing the normal speed a little... in the end, nothing happened.
Two fingers? Even then, just having the key (even optional) for PCs would be enough.
penguin wrote:I kind of agree about the scrolling text on the title screen, but I'm not sure of a good alternative that'd look nice.
Show it all at once when you go to "New Game" (complete with "Next" button). Then, you only need "Left and Right to move, Up to open a door" in the title screen.

Also: Having the whole game operable with keyboard-only would be nice. It's kind of silly that the Pause screen requires a mouse, when nothing else does.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Jetrel wrote:copywritten
I'd have expected better from you :P

The content is copyrighted. Copyright has nothing to do with writing, and everything to do with the right to copy. I know you know this already, but not everyone reading does :eng:
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I would appreciate an option to reconfigure the control keys. As three of the arrow keys on my keyboard are dead, I haven't been able to try the game. :(
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.