Zerovirus' sprites for UtBS

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
iLeeT_PeeP

Re: Zero's art. Gambit has this way of getting me to do art.

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

"Naga Hunter"

Very nice... Looks brilliant to me...

Wonder if something like this would ever go mainline? :hmm:

Either way great work Zero. :eng:
Attachments
Naga%20Hunter.PNG
Naga%20Hunter.PNG (4.04 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Zero's art. News updates yay.

Post by Iris »

Most likely, since there is a Naga Hunter in UtBS.
EDIT: or you meant core? In such case, no idea. It wouldn't contribute anything to multiplayer games since the Northerners faction already has ranged weapon users, including one with poison.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

My inclination from an art development point of view would be probably, yes. My point of view is that if the quality is sufficient, it might as well be put into core so that other campaign designers can use it, as long as it fits in with what Jet's got planned for the Nagas.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Haven't posted any art for a time too long. Apparently as a part of the UtBS project, the humans will be replaced with Chaos, and I get to do a sprite redesign for them as well. Of course, being the thrill seeker I am, I made the (probably bad) decision to rework the ones that seemed more fun first.

The overlord. Espreon told me to get rid of the horse which I obliged him. Any ideas for his sword?
Attachments
overlord.png
overlord.png (8.31 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
Aura

Post by Aura »

My take (obviously just a sketch with poor shading/shapes for the added parts). I think the shoe spikes are un-nessacery. Yours matches the mounted one better but I prefer the overall look of mine. Of course it's up to you though.

Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I'm not sure about the sword design, tought, its a bulk sword which means the unit is very strong to use it "decently" one handed.

One possible suggestion is to leave a central hole in the blade? (Dunno if its only used on knives tought) so when the sword penetrate a body, the air will enter too giving more pain due to the air pressure.

Another possibility is that instead of a sword, he could wield a Doloire (type of axe) one handed, which is also blade damage but looks "less refined" than a sword and gives a more brutal look.

Question, the horns of the unit are on the correct perspective? I'm not sure if both of them are looking front, while the head looks in a different angle. (It may be me, tought but prefer to say something than not doing anything)

I'm curious to see how the chaos will appear on the campaign, I played it a long time ago, and would probably give another try when you are done to see the differences :mrgreen:
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Yay, Zero works on UtBS! :D

Needless to say, I really like what you've done here. However, I would suggest downsizing the horns on his helmet. I realize it's a lvl 3, but even so, the horns seem unbelievably oversized... they would give the enemy something to grab him by and pull him to the ground (which is why Vikings never had horned helmets, contrary to the Hollywood portrayal), and they would impede his ability to swing his weapon, and also weight him down a lot for no obvious purpose.

This is just my personal opinion of course; it's your work. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

The Overlord is a level four and represents a Bloodknight who has been empowered to superhuman in a gruesome ritual, at least that is what is said in the description.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Fog

Post by Fog »

Although WIRN, The horns are about three times the size of his head, thus they could be smaller. I'm not nearly as good as you, so if large horns are the will of the almighty Zero, it shall be so. More seriously, I like the first of the two swords, he is a level four and he's a demon. :shock:
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Drakefriend wrote:The Overlord is a level four
Meh, figures. That's what I get for relying on a fuzzy memory of the last time I played IftU instead of looking it up. :P Even so, I still feel the size of the horns is rather impractical. And something else I've noticed: isn't the head a bit small compared the the standard Wesnoth unit? At least, that's the impression I get... :hmm:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

The problem with it being a level 4 is that it doesn't look imposing enough right now. I'm not really sure how to resolve this fact, though I have tried to bulk him up a lot.

On the subject of the horns, the original sprite had horns. The horns are flavory to the unit. I am keeping the horns the exact same (partially because I doubt my skill in changing them at all).

I'll figure out the sword later. Probably after discussing it with Espreon.

Current version in a lineup. Does it look big enough to be classified as a level 4?
Attachments
overlord.png
overlord.png (23.26 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Zerovirus wrote:Current version in a lineup. Does it look big enough to be classified as a level 4?
Maybe. Try using a Grand Marshall for size guidelines--that's probably the best comparison.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Final Overlord: Y/N?
Attachments
overlord.png
overlord.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I like the size of the last overlord, and the blade looks really nice, now a question. The protuding things on his shoulders are weapons?

If that's the case, I would suggest removing the sword on his left shoulder, since he has it now on his right hand.

Possibilities, he can draw his weapons when he is near enemies and have them on his back when he isn't fighting actively.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Aura

Re: Zero's art. Working on UtBS art.

Post by Aura »

His chest looks very thin (or his leg armour/skirt thing look very wide, not sure which). I reckon that his armour should be more like distinctive plates than scale mail too.