What new terrain would be Great for your UMC?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

What new terrain would be Great for your UMC?

Post by Eleazar »

I'm interested in hearing what new terrains would be useful, especially to people who are actually making scenarios & campaigns. I'll be doing a good deal of work on Wesnoth's terrain this summer, and while i have a lot of ideas, probably there are some more useful one's i haven't thought of. There's no guarantee i'll do any of these, but i'm open to listening.

Custom terrains that already exist in UMCs, but maybe could use better art are also of interest in this thread.

Terrain ideas are more likely to be created and added to mainline if there are generally useful, and make sense as an alias of existing terrain types.

Check here to see what ideas are already on my list:

EDIT:
Please post links to existing terrains, that either aren't quite finished, or else are finished but haven't been added to mainline in this thread instead.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Tet

Re: What new terrain would be Great for your UMC?

Post by Tet »

I think the temple would be awesome for campaigns. I wanted to bring a new column this week, but lost it last night due to malefunction.

I would like oversize buildings (more than one hex): i.e. Tower, Pyramid (Maya style).

More bigger trees would be great.

In generall more exotic landscape would be nice to add flavour to the suroundings of evil fellows. Twisted dead woods. Lava gezir and so on.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Having bamboo forest and things such sakura (cherry blossom trees) would be nice. If you were curious, I would actually have uses for such things in my addon.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

A volcano. That is, similar in shape and size to the 4-hex mountains but with a crater and some lava. Gameplay-wise the top hex would simply alias to lava, the other 3 to mountains. I'm thinking it'd be placed like this: you place the volcano terrain on one hex, and if there aren't 3 mountain hexes below it, a simple lava chasm or something is drawn (using current graphics). However, if you place the 3 mountain hexes below it, a nice 4-hex volcano is drawn.

Proper transitions so that you could draw the volcano any shape and size you want would be cool too, but it doesn't sound very feasible to me.

I don't think my attached frankenstein is good enough, but it shows the general idea.
Attachments
volcano.png
volcano.png (49.29 KiB) Viewed 6199 times
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Being a campaign author myself, I think Orcish Fort Ruins would be nice. As well as a non-ruined Water Castle and non-ruined Swamp Castle. Also what zookeeper said. :D
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Added flowering spring trees to the list.

I don't necessary reject all the other ideas, but don't find them as compelling at the moment.

Giant multi-hex buildings would be best handled as scenery, not terrain. I don't think (for instance) a pyramid would be used frequently enough to justify making it mainline terrain.
zookeeper wrote:A volcano. That is, similar in shape and size to the 4-hex mountains but with a crater and some lava. Gameplay-wise the top hex would simply alias to lava, the other 3 to mountains. I'm thinking it'd be placed like this: you place the volcano terrain on one hex, and if there aren't 3 mountain hexes below it, a simple lava chasm or something is drawn (using current graphics). However, if you place the 3 mountain hexes below it, a nice 4-hex volcano is drawn.

Proper transitions so that you could draw the volcano any shape and size you want would be cool too, but it doesn't sound very feasible to me.

I don't think my attached frankenstein is good enough, but it shows the general idea.
Interesting approach. Why make it a new "volcano" terrain though, wouldn't it work just as well as a special transition of "Ql" and "Mm"?

Mountains WML is pretty complicated. If you can make your frankenstein work, i'll put making it pretty on the second tier of my priority list.

Supporting any arbitrary configuration sounds hard, but you might also include the configuration of 1 lava hex surrounded by mountain on all 6 sides.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yeah, Zookeeper totally beat me to it....
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'd still really like the cliff terrain. (gameplaywise just alias to chasm).

Another one which would be nice (though I don't think there is any art for it at the moment and if there were art I don't see why it should be UMC) would be an elvish treehouse (forest/village).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Monroid

Post by Monroid »

I think the desert mountains could be reworked

And more variations of tropical forests :)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Transitions
water <-> chasm (water chasm ?)
lava <-> lava chasm
would be nice, as partly done by Alarantalara. Useful e.g. in IftU. Or generally, more underground terrain variations. Maybe a buffer-stop for the new rails.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

As usual, I second the cliffs and desert mountains.
Eleazar wrote:Interesting approach. Why make it a new "volcano" terrain though, wouldn't it work just as well as a special transition of "Ql" and "Mm"?
That's one way to do it, sure. I don't really care which way it's made to work; I picked the custom terrain because then there's no possibility of getting volcanoes where you don't want them.
Eleazar wrote:Mountains WML is pretty complicated. If you can make your frankenstein work, i'll put making it pretty on the second tier of my priority list.
It's not much of a priority for me either, so I'm not sure if I'll try that anytime soon, but in any case it shouldn't really be a problem to make it work. If someone ever makes the graphics, even if it's just a single image, then I can cut it up and do all the WML work.
Eleazar wrote:Supporting any arbitrary configuration sounds hard, but you might also include the configuration of 1 lava hex surrounded by mountain on all 6 sides.
Or that could simply be the only way for it to work. I used the 4-hex style in my frankenstein since that's the best I could do using the current mountains.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

I've always wondered what exactly these desert mountains were for in NR (Clearing the Mines)

Spoil heaps? Ore? Whatever it is, updated desert mountains would make it look ridiculous. I'm fairly sure these mountains are used in UtBS as well, in Out of the Frying Pan.

/ever so slightly off topic

I'm sure more indoor terrain would be appreciated, wooden floors and walls etc. Although a lot of that could be done as scenery. In fact there's an abandoned attempt at wooden floorboards somewhere...

edit:
Walls and floors. The wml is probably wildly out of date by now, but still.
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
boru

Post by boru »

Eleazar wrote:I'm interested in hearing what new terrains would be useful, especially to people who are actually making scenarios & campaigns.

Eleazar, I think you've done a terrific job with recent terrain improvements. Technically speaking, I am not in need of any new kind of terrain for my UMC, but I'll echo the need for more plant life. Pines are well covered, but there is a need for more of the lush, verdant plantlife that would be seen in swamps and marshes. Especially ferns. Big subtropical ferns that units would submerge into.

Mud - Some nice muddy hills. What is war without mud? Trenches are dug. Maybe a hex with a trench line through it would be a popular addition.

Although this falls in the category of "scenery," the game really needs some good interiors. Not just floors, but transitions (I guess they would be walls) to outdoor terrain. That's another whole project I suppose.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Deusite wrote: edit:
Walls and floors. The wml is probably wildly out of date by now, but still.
Please post links to existing terrains, that either aren't quite finished, or else are finished but haven't been added to mainline in this thread instead.
Attempting Lucidity
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Underwater castles! Merman and nagas should be able to build castles instead of waiting for ruined human ones to sink.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide